[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

9 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Wow. Well, they do get into the characters doing and saying the opposite of the books, so I guess this opposite thing extends to what they say, too... 

So clarity really means the hot pink fuzzy dashboard dice of the characters and their motivations. This show is just so out of this world... Like far, far out. 

Right? There's just so much in that interview, it's hard to pick the "best" bits. 

This is another one I like very much:. 

Also, of course, fans are really not going to know what’s coming…

Which is scary, but exciting. It was the hardest season to write for that very reason. While we’re still drawing from a lot of situations and arcs in the books, it’s obviously not a direct adaptation of any of the books this year. I will say you’ll see character versions and interpretations that are in some of the previous books that we hadn’t gotten to yet. I think of it as Westeros 2 – the alternate universe version of Westeros. There’s the book universe and a show universe and this is what happens in the show universe. 

I'm at a loss for words, "alternate universe" and "Westeros 2"... Huh?

Also, I'm expecting that, if the show gets criticised, someone will blame Martin. Any takers?

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

~snipped~

Also, I'm expecting that, if the show gets criticised, someone will blame Martin. Any takers?

Count me in cuz that's what I was thinking too.

If it isn't a direct insult to Martin and his slow writing that caused this, it will be because GRRM set it up so poorly that the showrunners had no choice but to "simplify" it this way so viewers can understand it.

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Right? There's just so much in that interview, it's hard to pick the "best" bits. 

This is another one I like very much:. 

Wally World! We came all this way just to see the world's largest pile of mud!

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, I remember them blaming Martin when they had Shireen burnt. 

They're like those parents who take credit for all their children's achievements, then start referring to the child as exclusively their partner's when they mess up, "Look what your writing's done now George!"

4 hours ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

Speaking of LotR, the House of Black & White's hall of faces seemed like they took notes from the mines of Moria.

I know we're dealing with a larger than life world but that seemed like the most impractical storage system they could've devised. I wonder if the Faceless Men have a catalogue system? Middle-aged male Summer Islander: that'll be column 37, row 15, facing east, better take a ladder. Or do they just wander around until they spot one that takes their fancy then shimmy up the columns to get it?

They keep talking about how much the budget has increased but given how they chose to invest in things like that set (with it's individually sculpted faces - which were then lit so poorly that the prop department must've wept) and the throwaway shots of Castle Stokeworth, rather than say, the direwolves, it seems more like they need an accountant.

It'll be interesting to see if HBO caves into D&D's demands for shorter seasons but with the same budget - that's not going to be appealing in terms of subscriber retention and DVD sales.

Maybe the increased budget is the problem! Perhaps if the budget was reduced they might have to go back to basics and like start telling the story using plot, dialogue and characters, you know like in the good old days when they were adapting GRRMs A Song of Ice and Fire?

14 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Count me in cuz that's what I was thinking too.

If it isn't a direct insult to Martin and his slow writing that caused this, it will be because GRRM set it up so poorly that the showrunners had no choice but to "simplify" it this way so viewers can understand it.

And the funnier part is, the more they simplify the story, the harder it is to understand it! :lmao:

11 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Wally World! We came all this way just to see the world's largest pile of mud!

Wamsay World! :lol:

5 minutes ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

Yeah, I remember them blaming Martin when they had Shireen burnt. 

They're like those parents who take credit for all their children's achievements, then start referring to the child as exclusively their partner's when they mess up, "Look what your writing's done now George!"

Exactly! 

And on a side note, not only it's alternate universe and Westeros 2, but it's going to be very Inception-y... :uhoh:

2 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

The clarity of character motivations. Revenge revenge revenge revenge revenge revenge revenge revenge revenge ... and oh yeah revenge.

I can see it all now. It's all so clear! 

Perfect! 

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah. Marshall's comment was about Blackwater; I'm not 100% but I think it's about the Hound/Bronn scene with some prostitutes in a tavern. Maybe? And the one with Mr Cogman I quoted is fresh from the oven, so to speak. 

Yeah the hound wanted to kill Bronn just before the battle , you know for like reasons!! Duh 

6 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Seriously?? You got to be kidding!! Does anyone realise they are just poorly plagiarising GRRMs work?? What the f--k do they deserve honorary degrees for? The world has gone crazy, that shit makes me sick!!

No, Cogman, no. There's nothing clear about Sansa showing up for her rape appointment, there's nothing you can say that will EVER make that better. 

At long last giving her a life of her own would have helped a little. But no. This little rape revenge story you cooked up where she secures real estate because family, just no.

You just had her marry family killers. And you never once let her be a person in her own right, she was in the books, but you and the boys turned her into a  human prop.

Here's a clue, women grow up, same as men, and they don't live for their brothers and sisters. And they don't show up for appointments to be raped, then turn into boss ass bitches. 

I'm just catching up on hype footage, watching Maisie on Seth Myers, something occurred to me. We know that we're going to see Mercy, or rather D/D's notion of Mercy. I wonder if the media and critics will be alerting the general public to the fact that this in fact from  "published" TWOW material? B/c I highly doubt we'll find out from "After The Thrones." I wonder if Maisie knows, I highly doubt D/D were so good as to inform her that that scene she was working on was a confirmed WOW scene that people out there have read.

I think I know why they wanted to include Mercy anyway. Too much to hope it was to pad out her already thin storyline since they eviscerated THOBAW story...more like it was "Oooh gross vulgar costumes! A perv in the crowd who tries to seduce Arya! That line "I don't want to be late for my own rape" and the perv replying "No fear of that, darlin'"! And wow, what an opportunity to show anti-Stark (instead of anti-Lannister) propaganda!" Though it would too much to hope for seeing the dwarf in the aroused Tyrion costume. Nope, that would not do. Instead, I shudder to think how they're going to make "Sansa" look even more like an idiot, and the Starks objects for laughter and abuse by the groundlings. Count on it!

5 minutes ago, Morna The Maid said:

I'm just catching up on hype footage, watching Maisie on Seth Myers, something occurred to me. We know that we're going to see Mercy, or rather D/D's notion of Mercy. I wonder if the media and critics will be alerting the general public to the fact that this in fact from  "published" TWOW material? B/c I highly doubt we'll find out from "After The Thrones." I wonder if Maisie knows, I highly doubt D/D were so good as to inform her that that scene she was working on was a confirmed WOW scene that people out there have read.

I think I know why they wanted to include Mercy anyway. Too much to hope it was to pad out her already thin storyline since they eviscerated THOBAW story...more like it was "Oooh gross vulgar costumes! A perv in the crowd who tries to seduce Arya! And wow, what an opportunity to show anti-Stark (instead of anti-Lannister) propaganda!" Though it would too much to hope for seeing the dwarf in the aroused Tyrion costume. Nope, that would not do. Instead, I shudder to think how they're going to make "Sansa" look even more like an idiot, and the Starks objects for laughter and abuse by the groundlings. Count on it!

"Mercy, third of her name."

Maybe third time's the charm, maybe they'll get it right this time. :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think there are several producers, and up until fairly recently, the only exec producers were Mr Benioff, Mr Weiss, and Martin. Mr Cogman was a producer and is now an exec producer, but I don't know when he was bumped up. 

ETA: there may be more even? Really not sure.

I could not really imagine GRRM being the one saying " I urge you to go full frontal", it just wouldn't seem right! Lol

23 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

No, Cogman, no. There's nothing clear about Sansa showing up for her rape appointment, there's nothing you can say that will EVER make that better. 

At long last giving her a life of her own would have helped a little. But no. This little rape revenge story you cooked up where she secures real estate because family, just no.

You just had her marry family killers. And you never once let her be a person in her own right, she was in the books, but you and the boys turned her into a  human prop.

Here's a clue, women grow up, same as men, and they don't live for their brothers and sisters. And they don't show up for appointments to be raped, then turn into boss ass bitches. 

:agree:Said and said well Le Cygne.

38 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Seeing those behind the scenes pic of Finn in his new show make me really excited and glad hes getting to play a real character and not a caricuture.

4 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, it's crazy how GOT deals with the original. These guys are a phone call away from George. What wouldn't any of the people working on PJ's LOTR would have given if Tolkien had actually been a phone call away? I wasn't too happy with Return, but there's no way PJ could have had success without the Tolkien society watching over his shoulder like hawks to guard Tolkien's legacy... And nobody finds it weird or snobbism that the Tolkien society and relatives make sure that any product made (whether it be cardgames, movies, etc) are approved by them. Anyone who'd claim they're "improving" Tolkien, or happy to be "free" from the books would get nailed by reviwers to the cross. Could you imagine Aragorn with 2 swords and not his ancestral sword? It's just nuts. It's not just "details". It's canon lore. We don't know much about Dayne, but Dayne and Dawn goes "hand in hand". Ned Stark effing returned it to Starfall.

The Ned respected canon lore more than D$D, but I guess patchface or Hodor would have more of a clue than those 2!

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

All righty then, Mr Cogman, if you say so...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/20/game-thrones-season-6-interview

"So overall, what’s been the greatest challenge this season?"

Not letting everyone get overwhelmed by the size of it and keeping your eye on the prize – the clarity of the characters and their motivations. You can obsess about a sequence or a line of action, but if you lose sight of the story then none of it matters. So I think about keeping everything grounded and remembering what we want to achieve and to set up for the future. The good news is we’ve been doing this for a long time now and everybody knows what they’re doing. Everybody involved knows how to tell this story at this point. There is no show like this on the planet. And anybody who tells you there is hasn’t worked on this show. 

I was laughing all the way through when I first read that, earlier.. I mean there's this, referring to S05.. 

We put our characters through hell, but it’s a very carefully thought-out hell.

Sure... Sansa's choice... detouring around Moat Caillin.. 20 good men..  etc., etc., etc.  So carefully thought out..and how about..

you think what we do on Thrones is terrible, look at world history, look at what’s happening now. We’re not pulling this stuff out of thin air. It’s a very easy, and frankly very lazy thing to say, “Oh, they’re just doing this for shock value.” If that makes you feel better, fine, but we don’t do anything for shock value

We better take that to heart and not dare to criticize (but if we do, how lazy of us). I agree a lot of stuff is not being pulled out of thin air, but somewhere much darker, and more damp.

But historical accuracy and fear of anachronism are not good excuses for representing racial and sexual politics in the way that Game of Thrones does. Deadwood began its run with some similarly shocking occurrences of sexual violence and racial caricature. But that show also offered blistering and uncomfortable critiques of the culture that enabled and encouraged those acts, and it offered layered portraits of women and ethnic and racial minorities who survived and resisted that dismal age.

There's no evidence of such critique so far in Game of Thrones. Every act of brutality, every assaulted woman, every exoticized barbarian is presented for the delectation of the audience. No prostitute appears on screen without her bosom already exposed, no transgressive sex act occurs without the frame of luxuriant tapestries or the glow of moonlight upon it. This show's historical misogyny and racism are purely aesthetic, and that's a problem we should hope this series works out on the double.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/review/game-of-thrones-season-one

And they never did. VERY EASY AND VERY LAZY to just serve cherry picked "reality" up, while smothering it in the most unrealistic absurdity, instead of telling a story. Very. Lazy.

Archived