What will happen with the mutineers?

Ser Dong

Well a beheading is a merciful death, they did treason so their death most likely won't be by Long Claw.

And Thorne must really have short memory, to keep him and Jon from coming to blow Mormont sent him to KL to place the moving hand at the feet of the boy King.

Like really? Dead people tried to kill the former LC and you think the new LC is wacky, for trying to save lives and adding to the army of the dead.

How I see it is that if Jon is excused from his vows, he is no longer the Lord Commander and he will not be the one to swing the sword. Jon executing these men and then saying, "yeah by the way I'm not a man of the Night's Watch anymore, who is the new LC" wouldn't make much sense. I imagine that there will be a quick and informal promotion of a new Lord Commander who may look to Jon for guidance on the punishment of the mutineers, but will ultimately be the one who has to decide their fate. Edd is the only one who makes sense to take over. 

3 hours ago, Rhaegar Targaryen's Ghost said:

How I see it is that if Jon is excused from his vows, he is no longer the Lord Commander and he will not be the one to swing the sword. Jon executing these men and then saying, "yeah by the way I'm not a man of the Night's Watch anymore, who is the new LC" wouldn't make much sense. I imagine that there will be a quick and informal promotion of a new Lord Commander who may look to Jon for guidance on the punishment of the mutineers, but will ultimately be the one who has to decide their fate. Edd is the only one who makes sense to take over. 

Jon Snow doesn't need to be LC to want vengeance and/or justice. I feel like he's going to be less merciful and just decide okay these guys need to die and just execute all of them. There are also far more Wildlings at Castle Black right now than there are NW, not to mention Wun Wun. And since Edd led all the Wildlings against the majority of the remaining NW, I can't imagine Jon would face much resistance in wanting to execute the mutineers.

Also, Ned executed a deserter in episode 101 (desertion is considered treason) and he had no connection to the NW; he was simply Warden in the North exacting Northern Law. There's no reason Jon can't do the same, especially if he is to become Jon Stark (or leader of the North anyway).

7 minutes ago, Petyr Targaryen said:

Jon Snow doesn't need to be LC to want vengeance and/or justice. I feel like he's going to be less merciful and just decide okay these guys need to die and just execute all of them. There are also far more Wildlings at Castle Black right now than there are NW, not to mention Wun Wun. And since Edd led all the Wildlings against the majority of the remaining NW, I can't imagine Jon would face much resistance in wanting to execute the mutineers.

Aren’t there a few dozen of them? That's a lot of necks to carve up.

24 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Aren’t there a few dozen of them? That's a lot of necks to carve up.

Only the ones responsible for murdering Jon (even temporarly.) The other nights watch brothers who submitted when the Wildings showed up aren't accountable for Jons death. 

I agree with the OP that a hanging would be more suffecient than beheading. Although I'd much rather watch Thorne's head roll around a bit.

1 hour ago, Dornishwoman's Husband said:

I assume the days of Thorne, Marsh, Yarwick and others are numbered. But I don't think Jon will execute Olly. I imagine he could spare him, and make Tormund apologize to Olly for slaughtering his parents and other people from his village.

I doubt it given with Dark Jon happening and Olly betrayal.

It's hard to know who exactly Jon will execute. Thorne is most likely a definite. Also the others who actually stabbed him. I also wouldn't be surprised if he executes Olly too but I wouldn't be surprised if he spared him too. As far as the other NW who were either complacent in Jon's murder or who supported Thorne, they could get the axe too. And the NW is hardly a force at all on their own. The remaining NW are likely to be just fodder for the NK's army and Jon will know that. He may just try to convince them all to ride south with him to rally the North. After all, the Wildlings + NW are not even close to large enough to do anything against the WW. And because Jon doesn't yet know about Dany (or isn't yet considering her a factor), he's definitely going to try to amass the largest army he can and the North is currently his best bet.

In my opinion he needs to execute at least one and that would be leader.,,that is Thorne. But given what Kit said on how Jon fears death. Maybe he'll have a  mercy on them. It would be telling how characters will react to his appearance. I can't see him killing Olly.

Thorne made LC, Marsh lord of Eastwatch by the sea, Yarwick's bones as building tools and Olly as a hanging signpost as a reminder to traitors

Have a feeling Jon Snow is going to refuse any duties for the night's watch, as he has already given his life and his watch has ended. Think he will decide to go south and leave the prisoners in the hands of the next commander, if there is one.

As an aside, any of those that remain in the watch and stay at the wall are going to die right? We assume the walkers will breach the wall. Any that are still in the watch are pretty much dead right? So maybe Thorne survives and stay's in the watch, only to get taken by the walkers.

In my head I see the scene going like this: 

Jon giving a big speech: 
- I stayed loyal to the nights watch when my father was imprisoned and murdered- I waited on the sidelines while my family all died. 
- I stayed loyal after being taken captive by wildlings and risked my life to save castle black by warning them of the surprise attack
- I stayed loyal in the battle against the wildlings even when it seemed like all was lost
- I stayed loyal when I was accused of breaking my oaths and sent on a suicide mission to kill  the king beyond the wall in his own camp
- I stayed loyal when I was offered my father's castle and the chance to go home
In the end a large portion of my brother's conspire and murdered me in the night, and after everything I've sacrificed to keep the nightswatch alive only 3 men were willing put up fight to avenge me. 

In all honesty the other's can take you all- what am I even fighting to protect at this point. 
I'm gonna go say hi to my Sis- Peace out Y'all!!! B)

Totally the 100% truth, it is known. 

For me, the only thing that sounded a little off on episode 2 was the wildlings sparing alliser, olly and co. And later I realised that the only reason for that is that so later Jon could sentence and behead the traitors.

4 hours ago, The Giver said:

So what about all the other people who stabbed Jon? There weren't only four of them, and Jon would know who they all were.

Maybe he just execute the ringleaders. The people most at fault. Maybe he couldn't remember all the faces and just killed the ones Alliser outed himself. Maybe the other apologised.

1 hour ago, jbob said:

Maybe he just execute the ringleaders. The people most at fault. Maybe he couldn't remember all the faces and just killed the ones Alliser outed himself. Maybe the other apologised.

This is what happened. The guys Jon executed were the names Thorne brought up in episode 1 when he was justifying himself to the other members about being a traitor.

He killed Olly as well because he was easily memorable and dont forget that Olly was being groomed for leadership by Jon.

Archived