The monkeys growing?

57 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Hey, I ain’t bashing Martin. The monkey is growing. That is the title of this thread. The simple assumption is that Martin is feeding the son of Kong. Feeding WoW. Feeding can be a positive or a negative. DwD was released 2011. Martin has read or posted how many chapters? Chapters which by the way, I am glad to have access to.

I will ask again. When does he have time to write?  My personal opinion is that he doesn't.

All these chapters were cut offs from aDwD that didn't make the cut. So far GRRM hasn't posted ANY new material written After his post-ADWD break, other than his TWOIAF written in collaboration. He didn't even finish new Egg &Dunk story that he planned. And all these ADWD cut offs amount to "hundreds" of pages, that why when he mentioned that "hundreds of pages" were done in his End of Year message, I broke into cold sweat.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

At the end of the day, that doesn't matter, does it?  1 book per season+ 1 extra for Swords would still equal 8 seasons.  And he didn't get the book out this year any way.   Dan and Dave deserve a lot of blame, but the blame for the show overtaking the books lies squarely with the author.  I know we differ on the quality of Feast and Dance, but I can't imagine how or why he would have thought that Feast had a season's worth of TV and at one point he said Dance could be 2 seasons?  Good grief.   I always thought combining Feast and Dance into about 1.5 seasons was the right call....only I never expected the cutting and combining and TV only material to be as bat shit as it was.

Whatever D&D faults are, they never once led anyone to believe that series would last for more than 7 seasons. From beginning to end, they always said 7 seasons, HBO literally had to beg them (and probably add a lot more money ) to get them to add couple more episodes to make up the 8th season 

So, I don't think that Martin had any illusions to the contrary that somehow the series would last for more than 7 seasons 

Everything else were his hopeful assumptions, like having 10 seasons (which he admitted unlikely), having a year or two break (which he also said would be impossible with child actors rapidly growing and making other commitments), and having series ending movie or two (Which HBO itself put down immediately) 

34 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

At the end of the day, that doesn't matter, does it?  1 book per season+ 1 extra for Swords would still equal 8 seasons.  And he didn't get the book out this year any way.   Dan and Dave deserve a lot of blame, but the blame for the show overtaking the books lies squarely with the author.  I know we differ on the quality of Feast and Dance, but I can't imagine how or why he would have thought that Feast had a season's worth of TV and at one point he said Dance could be 2 seasons?  Good grief.   I always thought combining Feast and Dance into about 1.5 seasons was the right call....only I never expected the cutting and combining and TV only material to be as bat shit as it was.

No, it doesn't matter. I'm just saying I can't form an opinion on something without having all the pertinent information. :dunno:

As to how Feast and Dance should have been done, it doesn't matter either, not anymore. But from things Martin and the show runners have said, it seems they were unsure about how many series there would be [and how the books were going to be split] until fairly late in the game - pun intended. I'd go as far as saying the show runners were unsure how to make the split remaining books/series until the end of s 3 at least. 

But none of this matters now. I'll say that I totally get how Martin thought he was very near and now maybe feels he isn't. And to be perfectly honest, I don't want the book to come out soon anymore. I am now hoping Martin doesn't announce ituntil the final series is being filmed, and nothing can be changed anymore. 

Unless he is purposely changing things to be different from the show I can't understand how he thought he was close and then he wasn't.

I actually can't really comprehend how he has had 5 years with the clock ticking and couldn't manage to get Winds out this Spring, unless, as has been speculated he has lost interest in the story or is literally drowning himself in extraneous material.

9 hours ago, LS1Transam said:

By progress report i just mean something like "I'm xx% done and i have no idea when i'll be able to finish".  Though speculation from outside of his hardcore readers would go wild, but i think most of us who were fans of his from before the show would just be happy knowing where he stands right now.  

I can certainly understand why he wouldnt want to do this, but I just wish he'd do it as a show of respect for his long time fans.

Believe me, we would not want progress reports. I already followed writers and game producers that gave progress reports of the upcoming works and following it is stressful. One day you check and it is, lets say, 70% and weeks later it is now 71%, some days later it is 77%, great, and some weeks it remains 77%! Just some weeks later it advances too...78%. We would face something like that, the progress is not uniform, we would gain some little progress, a lot of time without news, so a big progress just to fool ourselves that the next update will be as big, just to get a long wait to get little advance. It would just create bigger expectations and crushed them soon after, It would be awful for George and for us. 

29 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Unless he is purposely changing things to be different from the show I can't understand how he thought he was close and then he wasn't.

I actually can't really comprehend how he has had 5 years with the clock ticking and couldn't manage to get Winds out this Spring, unless, as has been speculated he has lost interest in the story or is literally drowning himself in extraneous material.

Maybe his passion is not as much writing as it is for some other writers. People like Stephen King, Dean Koontz etc. by their own admission can't help but write. It seems to define them, consume them, become the reason they get up in the morning.

Martin seems to have developed a lot of side interests which he seems to find far more appealing than sitting behind his keyboard. It's a free country, of course. But it is what it is. Sadly.

I just want to say, so that there is no misunderstanding, I do not mean to criticise GRRM in any way, nor am I getting impatient for the next book.

It's not like we haven't been here before. AFfC was published in late 2005. At the time GRRM thought the next book would be out within a year because it was half or more than half complete already. ADwD didn't come out until summer 2011. It took roughly 5 and a half years for him to finish/rewrite/edit/whatever the next book. He had a few hundred or two hundred or some small number in the hundreds of manuscript pages that were cut from ADwD, and maybe some other pages previously written for TWoW. So based on that, and his own admittance that he is a slow writer, I didn't expect to get the next book this year. It would be nice, sure, but I didn't think it was realistic. I would like to read the next book, I love his books. But I'm prepared to wait. What matters to me is that GRRM is happy with his finished product. His last update about the growing monkey could be positive, it could be negative, it depends how you interpret it for sure. All I know is, when the next book is out I am going to buy it as soon as I can get my hands on it and then this process will begin anew. I wish him good writing.

2 hours ago, Masha said:

All these chapters were cut offs from aDwD that didn't make the cut. So far GRRM hasn't posted ANY new material written After his post-ADWD break, other than his TWOIAF written in collaboration. He didn't even finish new Egg &Dunk story that he planned. And all these ADWD cut offs amount to "hundreds" of pages, that why when he mentioned that "hundreds of pages" were done in his End of Year message, I broke into cold sweat.

Cool. Rant and Rave has moved.

2 hours ago, Masha said:

Well he has probably his reasons  publish those aDwD leftovers, its better than nothing and might be too much spoiler if he publishes sample chapters from middle to late WoW. 

39 minutes ago, Locksley said:

I just want to say, so that there is no misunderstanding, I do not mean to criticise GRRM in any way, nor am I getting impatient for the next book.

It's not like we haven't been here before. AFfC was published in late 2005. At the time GRRM thought the next book would be out within a year because it was half or more than half complete already. ADwD didn't come out until summer 2011. It took roughly 5 and a half years for him to finish/rewrite/edit/whatever the next book. He had a few hundred or two hundred or some small number in the hundreds of manuscript pages that were cut from ADwD, and maybe some other pages previously written for TWoW. So based on that, and his own admittance that he is a slow writer, I didn't expect to get the next book this year. It would be nice, sure, but I didn't think it was realistic. I would like to read the next book, I love his books. But I'm prepared to wait. What matters to me is that GRRM is happy with his finished product. His last update about the growing monkey could be positive, it could be negative, it depends how you interpret it for sure. All I know is, when the next book is out I am going to buy it as soon as I can get my hands on it and then this process will begin anew. I wish him good writing.

Very true, I also wish him good health. As much as I love GRRM, the man is no young puppy. As much as I would like to complain about his writing speed, at this point I raged too much with ADWD, back in the day, so there's just no point anymore. It's just a shame that this time the tv show is spoiling some/most of his stories. I have no idea if he's going to rewrite things so they are different, or simply have his version of events happen slightly different, but the sad truth is that faith of a lot of the characters has already been spoiled. This will only get worse, should another season/half season of the show come out before WoW.

I just had a revelation. I think this book will be out by October. You can call me crazy now but I have huge hopes!!! I had a dream that it's released in October and on July 17th he confirms the release date. The prophecy I see is two moons, one but one small, under the two moons are fiddlers waiting for war with their soldiers. That's my dream. So call me crazy but you heard it here first. Winds of winter in October 2016. Release announce July 17th 2016. 

-Entrisen 

18 minutes ago, Entrisen said:

I just had a revelation. I think this book will be out by October. You can call me crazy now but I have huge hopes!!! I had a dream that it's released in October and on July 17th he confirms the release date. The prophecy I see is two moons, one but one small, under the two moons are fiddlers waiting for war with their soldiers. That's my dream. So call me crazy but you heard it here first. Winds of winter in October 2016. Release announce July 17th 2016. 

-Entrisen 

It takes half a year after his submits the manuscript to when the books actually comes out so that 3 month window is too tight. If he finishes the book before august it's still possible that the book is out for christmas sales. When he wrote on his blog around new year that TWOW won't be out before S6 he mentioned that the deadline for release before S6 was Halloween. Fortunately his publisher had made some arrangements that it was possible to get the book out before S6 if he had finished writing by end of the year. I'm not sure that now when the TV-series is already ahead of the books that there is need for such arrangements.

27 minutes ago, Entrisen said:

-Entrisen 

A dream of Spring? :-). 

3 hours ago, SaskatoonX said:

It takes half a year after his submits the manuscript to when the books actually comes out so that 3 month window is too tight. If he finishes the book before august it's still possible that the book is out for christmas sales. When he wrote on his blog around new year that TWOW won't be out before S6 he mentioned that the deadline for release before S6 was Halloween. Fortunately his publisher had made some arrangements that it was possible to get the book out before S6 if he had finished writing by end of the year. I'm not sure that now when the TV-series is already ahead of the books that there is need for such arrangements.

He announced Kong was dead in late April 2011, and Dance was out July 12. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

He announced Kong was dead in late April 2011, and Dance was out July 12. 

Not gona lie, that was the fastest I've ever seen a book get published. Pretty sure he was still working on Kong as late as May of that year; doing revisions, editing and such. 

20 hours ago, mattnj81 said:

There's an awful lot of trash-talking about GRRM going on in this thread. I hope once TWOW is (finally) released, everyone here saying "He's just given up and will never finish," "He doesn't care anymore," "He has no regard for his fans," etc. etc. etc. will come back and admit they have no f*cking clue what they're talking about and are just making shit up because they're pissed the book isn't out yet. 

and if the book never comes out or if tWoW ends up being the last book in the series, will you come back and admit you have no f*cking clue? :) the truth is none of us have a f*cking clue, we're just looking at the same evidence and coming to different conclusions. No need to be a prick about it

My point about the progress updates is just to discredit the idea that he has very little done outside the cut DwD chapters, but I also said i understand why he wouldn't want to do that.  For me personally, I'm just looking for evidence that he hasn't mentally checked out of his song of ice and fire series

14 hours ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

Believe me, we would not want progress reports. I already followed writers and game producers that gave progress reports of the upcoming works and following it is stressful. One day you check and it is, lets say, 70% and weeks later it is now 71%, some days later it is 77%, great, and some weeks it remains 77%! Just some weeks later it advances too...78%. We would face something like that, the progress is not uniform, we would gain some little progress, a lot of time without news, so a big progress just to fool ourselves that the next update will be as big, just to get a long wait to get little advance. It would just create bigger expectations and crushed them soon after, It would be awful for George and for us. 

I see your point there. It would be nice knowing where he stands now, but that information would just lead to more stuff to bitch about :)

I think the pessimistic idea that the book very far from completion is far from the truth. In May 2015, he considered a deadline of October 2015 achievable. Now we know that he tends to massively overestimate his writing speed, but even the earlier books took two years each to write. That he considered it achievable to finish within half a year indicates that at that point he thought he was about three quarters done. That would also be consistent with his statement about "hundreds of pages, dozens of chapters" as well with his average writing speed since 2000.

We all can only guess, but I see no indication that he has "given up" or written no new material since 2012, as some overly pessimistic people claim.

Archived