The monkeys growing?

23 minutes ago, Ser Kinslayer said:

Well, the first part about Ned and the girls reaching KL in less than 100 pages made more sense in my mind because he didn't have many POV characters to focus on. Therefore, he had reason to balance the scale of time between multiple POVs and their variously placed locations. As far as Stannis is concerned, I don't think it happened in just 50 pages. In fact, if I remember correctly, they leave us with a cliffhanger when Davos shows Stannis the letter sent from the wall; but the audience is never alluded to the content of the letter for some time. Then, we all know when Stannis shows up at the wall and it's kind of a surprise moment for all of us (non-show audience). I think it just  comes off that way because there are no POV chapters in between. I may be wrong in this but this is the way I remembered it being portrayed. I do agree with the part about Samwell leaving Old Town at the beginning of AFfC and getting there at the very end. Well timed, George, well timed

Cat reaching Kings Landing in less than a hundred pages, is another example I forgot of. She arrives before Ned and the kids, so it would have to be around 70. I'm not sure how quickly Stannis gets to East Watch and from there to Castle Black, but it seems insanely quick. The Dragonstone story is a bit disconnected from the rest of the plot up until that point, but we at the very least know Stannis doesn't leave for the Wall until after Joffrey is dead, which doesn't happen until the final 1/3 of the book.

15 hours ago, sifth said:

To be fair he's made other predictions as well. For example he once thought he could get AWDW finished by June of 2010, but instead got it finished April of the following year.

I'll take that prediction please! Thats very accurate according to GRRM deadline standards!

8 minutes ago, Masha said:

I'll take that prediction please! Thats very accurate according to GRRM deadline standards!

It is? To be honest I find GRRM's predictions to be all over the place at times.

Has anyone else heard about Season 7 being delayed until possibly fall 2017?? 

I know some of you are touchy about talking on the show on the book forum, but I feel this is relevant. 

I feel the real reason for the delay is because GRRM plans to have winds of winter out before season 7. Yeah, I know he said that for season 6, but they did not delay season 6. They are with season 7. If this is true, then he could probably be hoping to have the book released and readable by April-june 2017. What do you guys think?

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Absolutely true. But also why it goes against the rules in the book forum to talk anything about the show, in addition to the show not being canon at all. There is even a pinned post about the rules by a mod on the main topics page. It is best to follow the rules in this case to avoid having posts deleted, or worse.

Ok but I wasn't talking about the show as in the stories or the episodes at all, I was just saying the delay may have something to do with the book being released which is what this topic is about. 

21 minutes ago, Entrisen said:

Ok but I wasn't talking about the show as in the stories or the episodes at all, I was just saying the delay may have something to do with the book being released which is what this topic is about. 

7 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Nope. The thread is about the books and sample chapters... Winds specifically because that is the monkey to which the topic title is about and pasted below. And you made a comment along the lines of someone shouldn't come to the forums here if they don't want show spoilers and that the show could be delayed because of the books. I was trying to help you out so you didn't get deleted, or worse. But, whatever :cheers::

"And no, just to spike any bullshit rumors, changing the sample chapter does NOT mean I am done. See the icon up above? Monkey is still on my back... but he's growing, he is, and one day.." 

per GRRM's Not a Blog.

Just wondering about the phrasing. Does he mean its growing in a good way (as in its getting closer to be big enough to get off)? Or its growing in that the bit he's struggling with is an even larger problem than he initially thought?

Obviously hope its the former, and either way nice to have an update at least and some new(ish) material to discuss.

What????? I never made that comment about people coming here to post spoilers about the show.?? Please look up I am not the person who posted that. You are mixing me up with another user. I posted something completely different, like an hour ago saying that season 7 is delayed and I think it might be because of GRRMS plans to release the book and asked what others thought. I don't get why I'm being accused of posting something that someone else posted.

6 minutes ago, Entrisen said:

What????? I never made that comment about people coming here to post spoilers about the show.?? Please look up I am not the person who posted that. You are mixing me up with another user. I posted something completely different, like an hour ago saying that season 7 is delayed and I think it might be because of GRRMS plans to release the book and asked what others thought. I don't get why I'm being accused of posting something that someone else posted.

Ya know what? It looks like the mods have already been here because the quotes are messed up and I think it is because a few posts have already been deleted very recently. I do take it back and my apologies. I adjusted my quotes earlier to help clear the air. :cheers:

Adding: I definitely did not quote you the first time, I am checking my own activity. I am seeing now that I quoted someone else... but I guess it went to you??? That is weird.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ya know what? It looks like the mods have already been here because the quotes are messed up and I think it is because a few posts have already been deleted very recently. I do take it back and my apologies. I adjusted my quotes earlier to help clear the air. :cheers:

Adding: I definitely did not quote you the first time, I am checking my own activity. I am seeing now that I quoted someone else... but I guess it went to you??? That is weird.

It's all good, that is very strange though, I'm confused lol. I don't know why I thought you were talking about me. Anyhow, back on topic-- 

anyone see the relevance of the season 7 delay? I have sources but I don't know if I'm allowed to link anything. Think it has to do with winds of winter being released next spring? After hearing this news, next spring seems the most plausible now.

1 hour ago, Entrisen said:

It's all good, that is very strange though, I'm confused lol. I don't know why I thought you were talking about me. Anyhow, back on topic-- 

anyone see the relevance of the season 7 delay? I have sources but I don't know if I'm allowed to link anything. Think it has to do with winds of winter being released next spring? After hearing this news, next spring seems the most plausible now.

The show has been delayed as they want to shoot more wintry scenes now that Winter has arrived.

My personal guess is that TWOW will be released late 2018 or early 2019.

55 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

The show has been delayed as they want to shoot more wintry scenes now that Winter has arrived.

My personal guess is that TWOW will be released late 2018 or early 2019.

Nooo, you're being a little pessimistic with your prediction there. I think he'll get it out before season 7. My dream says the 17th of July 

10 minutes ago, Nattybo said:

Put me firmly in the camp that believes he basically has nothing but ADWD leftovers.  Prove me wrong, George - prove me wrong.

If that's all he had we'd be back in the 5 to 6 year range for publication of Winds.

While his publishers' extension of the deadline may be rather moot in the greater scheme (as if they'd throw the baby out with the bathwater if he blew another deadline) I'd be rather shocked if we didn't get Winds at some point within a year from now. 

12 minutes ago, Nattybo said:

I get your drift, only, the problem is, he's not writing.

Put me firmly in the camp that believes he basically has nothing but ADWD leftovers.  Prove me wrong, George - prove me wrong.

He has written, he just is in a slum. Sometimes I think, with the length of some of his not a blogs, I think that could have just been writing time used for the book. But I don't know. You can't force art. If he's not feeling it, and it comes off blandly, people will criticize him and the book will be most harshly judged. It's probably really straining mentally to have your work judged and criticized so intensely. It probably hurts quite a lot, and judged on his past comments, I think he takes some of it too personally. Some folk say he's strong skinned, I don't think so at all. 

On 7 de julho de 2016 at 9:56 PM, Khal Rhaggat - Cart King said:

I'm dense... what's so particular about the 17th. You mentioned that upthread as well.

Entrisen said that he predicts GRRM will anounce the book on that date.

On 7 de julho de 2016 at 9:51 AM, SuperMario said:

Unless he happens to announce it completed before the end of the year (which I highly doubt), we won't get another announcement about it (other than cryptic murmurings like "the monkey's growing") until his end of the year announcement at the end of December. And it will likely be another post about how he is frustrated with himself and how he thought he could have been done by about 5 different dates throughout 2016. Then 2017 will start and we'll be posting the same futile threads.

Oy! That sounds like a correct prediction! Lol!

21 hours ago, Entrisen said:

Has anyone else heard about Season 7 being delayed until possibly fall 2017?? 

I know some of you are touchy about talking on the show on the book forum, but I feel this is relevant. 

I feel the real reason for the delay is because GRRM plans to have winds of winter out before season 7. Yeah, I know he said that for season 6, but they did not delay season 6. They are with season 7. If this is true, then he could probably be hoping to have the book released and readable by April-june 2017. What do you guys think?

I think it's just so they can film more locations during winter what will delay the season

16 minutes ago, Entrisen said:

He has written, he just is in a slum. Sometimes I think, with the length of some of his not a blogs, I think that could have just been writing time used for the book. But I don't know. You can't force art. If he's not feeling it, and it comes off blandly, people will criticize him and the book will be most harshly judged. It's probably really straining mentally to have your work judged and criticized so intensely. It probably hurts quite a lot, and judged on his past comments, I think he takes some of it too personally. Some folk say he's strong skinned, I don't think so at all. 

Well, it doesn't matter how strong skinned someone is, it wears you out when people get ready aggressive and specially starts predicting your death...

26 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

If that's all he had we'd be back in the 5 to 6 year range for publication of Winds.

While his publishers' extension of the deadline may be rather moot in the greater scheme (as if they'd throw the baby out with the bathwater if he blew another deadline) I'd be rather shocked if we didn't get Winds at some point within a year from now. 

We're already at the 5 year mark.  My gut feeling is that he's given up trying to get the book out around the show's timing and so it has become less likely, after failing to get it out before season 6, that he will get it out now before season 7.  Maybe he will or maybe it won't get out until after the show wraps entirely.

I'm not at all sure how much he's written either.  A look at his travel schedule over the past few years doesn't leave a lot uninterrupted time for writing at home, and this is especially problematic if he is no longer really 'in the mood' for the series.  It would mean it takes him longer to get motivated and then to hit the creative groove.

I do agree that the chapters that have been released were probably already written at the time Dance came out...and this does not bode well for Winds.

9 minutes ago, Lady Lyanna Mormont said:

Entrisen said that he predicts GRRM will anounce the book on that date.

Oy! That sounds like a correct prediction! Lol!

I think it's just so they can film more locations during winter what will delay the season

Well, it doesn't matter how strong skinned someone is, it wears you out when people get ready aggressive and specially starts predicting your death...

That's exactly what I mean, i feel bad for the man. I think he's feeling pressured about the book and while under so much pressure he can't let the flow of writing happen. Like I said you can't force art. He's a pro but anyone who has written a book know what it's like to try to write and finish your book, and it's so personal and nerve wracking when you let someone read it. You want their criticism, but you are also afraid to hear it. 

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

I meant that if all he's written are holdovers from Dance, then we'd most likely have another 5 or 6 years yet to go in our wait for Winds.

That isn't impossible, but probably more like it will end up 6 years, maybe 7, but gosh what a failure that would be.  But then, how long until the final book? 8 more years? 10 years?  And that is even assuming he can finish the series in 2 books which based on the Winds samples and what he has said about Dany's progress seems to me very very unlikely.  It's a sad mess.

Archived