Star Trek: Beyond the 1st Trailer

JGP

2 hours ago, Crazydog7 said:

Of the relaunch movies this is now my favorite.  Yes there are still many little things I find annoying like Scotty's assistant but in its best moments it played like an episode of the original series. 

I enjoyed that little bit of revelation about Scotty's assistant.

Spoiler

The fact that Scotty keeps someone who sneezes acid around the most delicate components of a starship is highly amusing.

And I like that, in part thanks to the budget, they include more alien species in Starfleet. Old movies had all human + 1 half-human. Yep, Federation is all about unity. 

I think Karl Urban has the hardest role because they seem to be trying to make him have identical personality and mannerisms to the original bones to an extent they aren't applying to the other main characters, aside from Spock who is probably fairly easy to replicate. And Karl can;t do DeForest Kelley better than DeForest Kelley. And for course they can't quite bring themselves to make Bones an outright xenophobe the way they were able to in the original TV show. So unfortunately a decent bit of Bones' dialogue fell a bit flat for me.

A tad bit too much cheese in some parts for me.

Spoiler

Krall turning out to be merely an ancient human nutjob was pretty lame.

But for all that the movie did play a lot like an original Star Trek episode, and I came away reasonably satisfied for the experience.

On 7/23/2016 at 7:49 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I think Karl Urban has the hardest role because they seem to be trying to make him have identical personality and mannerisms to the original bones to an extent they aren't applying to the other main characters, aside from Spock who is probably fairly easy to replicate. And Karl can;t do DeForest Kelley better than DeForest Kelley. And for course they can't quite bring themselves to make Bones an outright xenophobe the way they were able to in the original TV show. So unfortunately a decent bit of Bones' dialogue fell a bit flat for me.

I agree with you on Bones, but I think Karl Urban has done a pretty decent job so far. 

On 24/7/2016 at 3:49 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

Spoiler

A tad bit too much cheese in some parts for me. Krall turning out to be merely an ancient human nutjob was pretty lame. But for all that the movie did play a lot like an original Star Trek episode, and I came away reasonably satisfied for the experience.

On 24/7/2016 at 5:18 AM, Corvinus said:

I agree with you on Bones, but I think Karl Urban has done a pretty decent job so far. 

I haven't seen the movie yet. However from what I recall from the first movie, Leonard Nemoy had said that when he saw Karl Urban he burst into tears because of how much poweful and touching he was as Bones that he thought that DeForest Kelley would had been smiling.

The only thing I find weird about Bones is his accent. I can understand that it may was DeForest Kelley's real accent but the way I hear it its a little *overplay*, or maybe is because English are not my first language. It might be against the canon but I would prefer Urban's real accent.

2 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I haven't seen the movie yet. However from what I recall from the first movie, Leonard Nemoy had said that when he saw Karl Urban he burst into tears because of how much poweful and touching he was as Bones that he thought that DeForest Kelley whould had been smilling.

The only thing I find weird about Bones is his accent. I can understand that it may was DeForest Kelley's real accent but the way I hear it its a little *overplay*, or maybe is because English are not my first language. It might be against the canon but I would prefer Urban's real accent.

You mean his New Zealand accent?

I like how they allow the cannon to evolve..... insofar as Klingons from TOS were purely evil... and they've since developed a culture around the race that allows for character development.... now they seem to be doing the same thing with Vulcans.... tempering the "total lack of emotion" angle to more realistically mean that Vulcans have always kept their emotions in-check... but they are capable of having feelings....

.... on another note... I went to see this movie in 3D.... the first part was really really dark.... to the point where I couldn't make out what was going on... did anyone else experience this?

Overall I liked it... This cast really does a terrific job.... and again, I'm surprised that

after welcoming Carol Marcus to the crew, they didn't include her in this flick.... not even to help balance out the gender gap

I thought it was a very entertaining film. At times it did strain suspension of disbelief a bit (although not any more than many of the previous ST films), but I thought the plot was still a lot more coherent than Into Darkness.

I think one of the disadvantages of the reboot films is that we see a weary Kirk here at the start of the film who is tired of his exploration mission, but I think that would work better if we'd had the opportunity to see the crew doing some ordinary missions, the previous Star Trek films did work better in this respect due to being sequels to the TOS and TNG series.

The attack on the Enterprise at the beginning of the film is a great action setpiece, but it might have meant more if we'd seen the ship being used for more than a couple of films.

I thought the villains had an interesting motivation once it is finally revealed, but the backstory could have done with a bit more explanation, and hiding Idris Elba behind a lot of prosthetic makeup for most of the film felt a bit of a waste of him. While I'm still not convinced about what they did with the character, I thought Cumberbatch still had much more screen presence in the previous film.

I thought Jayla was a good addition to the cast, I think it would be nice to see her again in the next film although I don't know if we will. The scenes of the crew trying to survive on the planet and then executing the prison break were generally done well. I still can't quite decide if destroying the swarm by using the Beastie Boys was an awesome of ridiculous idea, it's probably both. At some times, particularly that scene, it did remind me a bit of Guardians of the Galaxy, like that film it did a good job of adding some irreverent humour to the story without distracting from the plot. The Yorktown even felt a bit like Zander from GotG, crossed with a little bit of Inception in terms of the building rising up towards each other.

24 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Didn't they establish that Vulcan suppress their emotions in the Voyage Home and again in TNG. 

They can do it yes. They even have a ritual,kolinahr, to get rid of the emotions in order to be purely logical beings. However Spock is only half Vulcan and he can be emotionally compromised as it has happened when Amanda died from the first movie.

7 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

They can do it yes. They even have a ritual,kolinahr, to get rid of the emotions in order to be purely logical beings. However Spock is only half Vulcan and he can be emotionally compromised as it has happened when Amanda died from the first movie.

I was thinking about the TNG episode "Sarek" more specifically.  

I have a question; in this movies the three protagonists are yet again Kirk, Spock and Uhura or Bones finaly takes rightful place instead of Uhura? Anyone can tell me about Bones? 

13 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Yeah, his wife hired an "assistant" who was there to help him keep them under control.  

I remember this one, it was a very good ep. 

22 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I think you might want to edit your spoiler just in case. Not sure if word of that has spread enough to keep this thread without spoiler tags.

14 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I haven't seen the movie yet. However from what I recall from the first movie, Leonard Nemoy had said that when he saw Karl Urban he burst into tears because of how much poweful and touching he was as Bones that he thought that DeForest Kelley would had been smiling.

I've spoilerised the Krall bit, so if you can do the same, or just delete from your quoting of me that should tidy things up.

I do think Karl Urban has done a good job, but he was given a difficult task. And his Southern US accent needs a bit of work, perhaps she can get tips from Anna Pacquinn on how to turn a Kiwi accent into a Southern US one. When New Zealand actors get themselves a US accent as part of their acting CV it's normally not a Southern one, so getting a Southern accent is like extra credit.

I wonder if this round of ST movies will move into TNG characters or if it will find some sort of natural ending with just the rebooted OG characters. I'd quite fancy seeing Tom Hiddleston play a younger Lieutenant Jean-Luc Picard. Of course E1S1 of TNG showed bones being a really old dude, so the timelines for Picard coming up the Federation officer ranks at the same time as this crew is fairy young themselves probably doesn't work. The reboot might have altered events, but would not have altered when people were born. May have altered if people were born. Like Picard may never be born in this timeline if in the OG timeline hwe was born after the events of the reboot movie.

I assume if this movie does well enough that there will be at least one more. I read that Karl Urban only signed on for Beyond after they assured him of a more prominent role for Bones than what was in the first two. But I don't recall them optioning him for a 4th go round. Perhaps they'll leave it at 3.

I guess one must ask the question of whether Star Trek really has another movie in it in any timeline or alternate reality. How many hundreds of hours of Star Trek material is already out there that hasn't covered most of what anyone would want Trek to cover?

8 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Are they even going to continue in this universe at all?

there was a lot of talk about hemsworth being in the next one so i don't think they are abandoning the universe or setting at all.

They still haven't had a film with klingons as the primary antagonists which is odd. Also surprised they've resisted the temptation to do Borg as well.

I still wish

Nimoy spock had left a diary with "spoilers" on the front

35 minutes ago, red snow said:

there was a lot of talk about hemsworth being in the next one so i don't think they are abandoning the universe or setting at all.

They still haven't had a film with klingons as the primary antagonists which is odd. Also surprised they've resisted the temptation to do Borg as well.

I still wish

Hide contents

Nimoy spock had left a diary with "spoilers" on the front

So they are just going to go back and deal with Kirk's father.

I was looking forward to seeing Khan and his people unfrozen and used against the Klingons. But after the death of Anton Yelchin I can't that happening.   

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Tom Hiddleston play a younger Lieutenant Jean-Luc Picard.

I don't agree I believe that James McAvoy should be a younger Picard.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I assume if this movie does well enough that there will be at least one more.

JJAbrams has already confirmed a fourth movie. To quote myself; 

On 16/7/2016 at 9:07 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Apparently according to Abrams there are plans for a fourth movie with Chris Hemsworth returning as George Kirk.

On 21/7/2016 at 9:12 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Seems like that. From what I read in memory alpha http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_XIV they or at least Kirk will meet George Kirk and he will not just have a dream or a flashback. Furthermore there will not be a recasting for Chekov after Anton Yelchin's death.

Archived