The night King spoilers

Djwesty79

How come the night king and the rest of the army were not on brans trail. Only a few caught up with them and Benjen fought them off. 

The night king showed up at the location of Bran quite easily in the door so how come they are nowhere to be seen 

19 hours ago, Djwesty79 said:

How come the night king and the rest of the army were not on brans trail. Only a few caught up with them and Benjen fought them off. 

The night king showed up at the location of Bran quite easily in the door so how come they are nowhere to be seen 

Because as Lady Crane said "the writing is no good" ;-)

Seems to me he was specifically after the Three Eyed Raven. BENJEN knows something about the NK, I can't figure out what, but, He knows Bran has to meet him, so I don't think NK wants Bran dead. Even though Bran is now the 3ER... Yeah so now I'm confusing myself. I don't think it's bad writing, I think we'll find out.

Speaking of NK and 3ER, it looked like the 3ER was seeing the CotF create the first WW for the first time ever. Did anyone else notice that?

11 minutes ago, Mrslannistark said:

Seems to me he was specifically after the Three Eyed Raven. BENJEN knows something about the NK, I can't figure out what, but, He knows Bran has to meet him, so I don't think NK wants Bran dead. Even though Bran is now the 3ER... Yeah so now I'm confusing myself. I don't think it's bad writing, I think we'll find out.

no, the NK was after Bran, you forgot the mark scene

Hmmm ... random boy is dream walking, whatever you want to call it. Good bet the 3EC has some connection to that :p. Call it running down a lead. That or there's something we don't know yet about the NK's powers and motivations. Probably both.

I love analyzing and speculating about the books. The show I will only go so far because we're getting the short-hand version and the writing isn't tight. It's much harder, sometimes impossible to glean motivation, foreshadowing, etc from it. They do a good job moving the story along and have many really good moments, but I don't trust it to hold together as well, so kind of futile to put it under the microscope like we do the books.

22 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Hmmm ... random boy is dream walking, whatever you want to call it. Good bet the 3EC has some connection to that :p. Call it running down a lead. That or there's something we don't know yet about the NK's powers and motivations. Probably both.

I love analyzing and speculating about the books. The show I will only go so far because we're getting the short-hand version and the writing isn't tight. It's much harder, sometimes impossible to glean motivation, foreshadowing, etc from it. They do a good job moving the story along and have many really good moments, but I don't trust it to hold together as well, so kind of futile to put it under the microscope like we do the books.

Very true, unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, Gertrude said:

i think the second paragraph is fair. Both unreasonable to expect and futile to get into exhaustive analysis of every last detail.

Having said that, with regard to the OP, it was made pretty damn clear in the episode that the 3EC is the big deal to the NK and the Walkers. They also didn't bother chasing Bran in that episode either. So no particular inconsistency..

6 hours ago, Mrslannistark said:

Benjen says to Bran: You must learn to control it (3ER power) before the Night King comes. One way, or another he will find his way to the world of men and, when he does, you will be there waiting for him and you will be ready.

It's very ambiguous - deliberately so. It's also kind of bad writing because, just like Dany, they are running out of ways to hide where things are going.

How does Benjen know the Night King will get to the world of men (south of the wall)? This suggests that he knows the wall can't stop the Night King, or that Bran is going to let him through.

I don't think the Night King wants Bran dead either and I'm sure the 3ER was telling the Night King to leave him, not Bran in Episode 605. There is a relationship between the Night King, 3ER and the Starks - it just isn't disclosed yet. But I'm almost certain Jon will walk the undead legions south with a fiery sword in his hand and Bran will be watching/controlling from afar.

On 5/31/2016 at 5:01 AM, Djwesty79 said:

Probably to flush them out of the cave and make them seek other refuge (like the wall), to expose Bran, and remove him from the protection of the 3EC.

Also, Benjen has some sort of deal or arrangement with the Night King. You heard it here first. 

Maybe Benjayjay has knowledge of Bran's imminent epic failure - his more than likely unintentional razing of The Wall haha..... once the fight is done, he uses his magic to rebuild Wall during the supposed ancient era that this Bran the Builder is said to have created it.  Like Old Nan said, if i recall correctly, that maybe they were/are all the same Bran 

BenJen doesn't need knowledge to say "the NK is coming".  It serves as motivation for "you need to be ready".   Why worry about "being ready" if you don't think the NK is coming.

Every time I type NK, it reminds of Always Sunny and the NightMan.

The same power/magic that initially prevented the NK from entering the 3ER's tree is probably the same sort of magic/power that is preventing the NK from crossing the wall.

Now that Bran is marked though, and headed back to the wall, Bran will be the NK's ticket either through the wall, or to bring down the wall. 

7 hours ago, ummester said:

I don't think the Night King wants Bran dead either and I'm sure the 3ER was telling the Night King to leave him, not Bran in Episode 605. There is a relationship between the Night King, 3ER and the Starks - it just isn't disclosed yet. But I'm almost certain Jon will walk the undead legions south with a fiery sword in his hand and Bran will be watching/controlling from afar.

Are you saying it would happen so in the show or the books? That both Jon and Bran will turn evil and side with Nights King against the living, or Jon being controlled/warged by evil Bran?

The NK is clearly not after killing Bran just yet, if he wanted he would have send white walkers chasing after him with wights.

I think he is chasing him towards the wall, Bran is needed to either break the wall or else NK is like a vampire and needs to be "invited" to cross the wall, and the mark is the invite.

Archived