Copa America Centenario: because Europe can't have all the fun

Corvinus85

3 hours ago, Immobile Buffon said:

I thought of that but at 1-1 Mexico had avoided Argentina but they were the ones pushing hardest for a winner.  And Venezuela are such a Cinderella team that they seem unafraid of anyone; in fact a bigger reputation team might suit them better.  Both could have settled for that 1-1 and walked away relatively happy but they both kept going for it.  Great competitive attitude from both. 

I have a friend from Venezuela. He told me that they always play badly against Chile. So I told him that then they would be better off losing to Argentina, instead. :P And if they win, the prestige would be that much greater.

That turned out pretty well for the Argies.  They looked a little choppy at the start with all the changes but then the early goal really settled them and it was a training match after that.  They look really composed, their stars got some rest, their back-ups got some confidence, they maintained their shape and style despite player changes, and they got to experiment with some role shifts for a few players, e.g. Aguero as a roaming 9.5 in tandem with Higuain, Banega a bit deeper, Funes Mori as a FB.  Higuain still doesn't look as sharp as I expected after his club form. 

Chile's attack moved into a higher gear today, offsetting two terrible goals fluffed by Bravo.  Chile v Mexico looks like it might be a really end to end game with a ton of attacking. 

In FS1's commentary team, does anyone else think Fernando's clown antics have progressed from annoying to an offensively cliche caricature?

And while I'm complaining, is Aly using an exaggerated macho/butch style or is she always like that?  And why does the young guy fawn over Alexei?

These guys seem to heavily emphasize having an FM radio morning show dynamic rather than saying anything insightful about the football. 

8 hours ago, Immobile Buffon said:

In FS1's commentary team, does anyone else think Fernando's clown antics have progressed from annoying to an offensively cliche caricature?

And while I'm complaining, is Aly using an exaggerated macho/butch style or is she always like that?  And why does the young guy fawn over Alexei?

These guys seem to heavily emphasize having an FM radio morning show dynamic rather than saying anything insightful about the football. 

In the Fox studio, Lalas always looks like he can't be bothered or that he's above everyone else.  And forced-funny is never funny.  Painful and un-interesting.

Even though they cover the Bundesliga for the US market, the Fox style is one reason I gravitate to the Premier League coverage of NBCSN.  Give me the in-control team of Lowe, Mustoe, Earle, and/or Martino to break things down, hype things up accordingly, or even be cheeky from time to time.

I don't get Fox Sports, so I've been watching all the games in Spanish.  I usually have a headache by the end of each game, but at least I have no idea how bad the commentary is because I don't speak any Spanish.  

At least you don't have to put up with Premier Sports like the UK does. Many games delayed to an even worse time in the middle of the night, and the feed dropping out a couple of times a game, on average.

9 hours ago, Fuchs, himself! said:

I don't get Fox Sports, so I've been watching all the games in Spanish.  I usually have a headache by the end of each game, but at least I have no idea how bad the commentary is because I don't speak any Spanish.  

We here in Peru do exactly the opposite...

Well done USA for making it to the semifinals. Game was intense, and ugly. Jones was an idiot for getting a red card, and Bradley was an idiot at times for not paying attention where he was passing. 

Anyway, USA will most likely play Argentina, and they'll be doing it with the bench. So if they get out of that game with no more than 3 received goals, it will be a miracle.

3 goals and 3 assists for Dempsey now.  He and Brooks are carrying this team.  He even made the hapless though hardworking Zardes into a hero.  A real pity to lose Brooks for the next game though.  Zusi and Beckerman can mostly replace Bedoya and Jones, or even bring Johnson into left midfield.  So stupid of Jones to get involved, especially when it was clear that the opposition were about to be a man down. 

9 hours ago, Immobile Buffon said:

3 goals and 3 assists for Dempsey now.  He and Brooks are carrying this team.  He even made the hapless though hardworking Zardes into a hero.  A real pity to lose Brooks for the next game though.  Zusi and Beckerman can mostly replace Bedoya and Jones, or even bring Johnson into left midfield.  So stupid of Jones to get involved, especially when it was clear that the opposition were about to be a man down. 

We lost Brooks, too?

The referee for tonight is Patricio Loustau

[relevant music].

SOB's partially responsible for Peru definitely not going to Brazil 2014. Guerrero, Farfan and one more got shamelessly beaten and he did nothing. Someone broke Guerrero's head and nothing happened, no card, not sanction, nothing. Suarez also tried to beat another player who answered back and got himself expelled.

WE REMEMBER.

PERU REMEMBERS.

13 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

A lot of violence and the referee does nothing. I told you he sucked.

This is the first Copa America I've watched, and I can say that I'm unimpressed by most of the officiating.

Archived