You're Dany - What do you leave behind?

Assuming you are Dany, post episode 9, Battle of the Bastards, you've just sent a strong message to the slave masters, secured 100 Iron Born ships and crews to man them and are planning on going to Westeros with plans to conquer it.

What do you leave behind to ensure Meereen is left viable from an economic standpoint, a leadership standpoint,  a military defense standpoint, as well as wanting to keep strong numbers and strength to actually conquer Westeros?

Surely just leaving Missandei with no army would not work, but leaving everyone is silly as well so it must be somewhere in between.

Leaving a bulk of Dothraki would probably not be good IMO, to big of a chance they revert back to there old ways without Dany around, not gonna leave any dragons, and want to take as much of my main infantry force as possible. Plus Tyrion said they have just enough ships to transport them so can't leave much of a naval force.

Best bet IMO would be to leave Daario and his 2,000 second sons, he knows the area and has a good military mind, and will be loyal to you. Leave Missandei to help rule, and probably about 800 - 1,000 Unsullied. Maybe leave a reserve force of 1,000 Dothraki, but nothing bordering on enough to outnumber the Unsullied and Second Sons. Get them started on building more ships and that's ur best bet.

What do u think?

There appears to be a pretty tender, sweet scene between Daario and Dany in next week's finale. 

I wonder if that scene goes something along the lines of "I love you but need you to stay here while I go west" or something. 

Surely Dany would want to take just about everyone west with her though? She's going to need all the aid, support, and council she can get when she gets to a land she knows very little about. 

16 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

There appears to be a pretty tender, sweet scene between Daario and Dany in next week's finale. 

I wonder if that scene goes something along the lines of "I love you but need you to stay here while I go west" or something. 

Surely Dany would want to take just about everyone west with her though? She's going to need all the aid, support, and council she can get when she gets to a land she knows very little about. 

That's the impression I got too. I also wonder this. Is she trying to rule the entire known world? She wants Westeros and Essos? Isn't she kinda the true villain if that's the case? As for the OP, I like the plan of leaving behind just enough because those people will obey at all costs now. 

31 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

I agree that Daario should stay there with around 1/3 of her army or so. They still need to defend the city. She needs Tyrion by her side like a Westeros living dictionary so he will go. Messandi should stay as well. 

3 of her dragons should go because no one else can control them. Maybe one of them will die while they cross the sea. 

25 minutes ago, bfin said:

That's the impression I got too. I also wonder this. Is she trying to rule the entire known world? She wants Westeros and Essos? Isn't she kinda the true villain if that's the case? As for the OP, I like the plan of leaving behind just enough because those people will obey at all costs now. 

We've established this season that she's quite the conqueror. She's got a LONG way to go before she conquers the entirety of Essos, but once she gets Westeros (if she does), she'll have more of the world than pretty much anyone else we know of. I'm curious why you think this might make her the villain? If she ends up as a good leader (which is certainly not guaranteed), is it so bad for her to have such widespread control?

To the OP's question: I guess we'll find out! Honestly last time she left it went really poorly really quickly and that was with 2nd Sons & all the remaining Unsullied there, plus multiple advisers. We still haven't established who will lead Astapor and Yunkai now either. She's already established she needs basically everything she has if she'd really going to conquer Westeros, so can she afford to leave anything behind? Is Slaver's Bay too far from Westeros for her to realistically keep both? If I were her I'd choose between the two places, or at least stay in Mereen long enough to establish Hand of the Queen type figures in each city and ensure they actually were able to control the city before I left, but (thank the Seven) it seems we're not going to get more stalling in Mereen. So....... who knows. 

20 hours ago, Charlie Hustle said:

If The unic was still there i would leave him behind. But Messandi as well as Daario would be a good idea. Sir Jorah would have been a good fit as well. Leaving a dragon behind would be a good idea, but theres no one to control it.

So you'd leave Daario and Missandei? Maybe they'd have a hard time ruling without any soliders.

I'd leave Daario, Grey Worm, Missandei. And a small force of Dothraki and Unsullied to keep the peace.

She doesn't need Daario. She has no use for a translator/advisor like Missandei when she has Tyrion. And Grey Worm is respected and clearly knows Slaver's bay well enough to help rule there.

If I were her, I'd leave Daario and Grey Worm for sure along with all the Unsullied and Second Sons - and whatever Dothraki she can't fit on the boats.  In general, I wouldn't want to leave too many Dothraki because Dany needs to be there to control them.  She definitely needs Tyrion with her and Varys would help a lot as well as they both are very knowledgeable and know more about Westeros than any of her other advisors.  If Jorah came back in time, I'd bring him with me as well.  Missandei can stay behind and help rule in Mereen in her stead.  

TLDR: leave behind Daario, Grey Worm, Second Sons, Unsullied, Missandei,  + any excess Dothraki that may not fit on boats

I was thinking about this too.  I feel like meereen is screwed once dany leaves, or at least should be screwed if the great masters weren't completely moronic.  Dany and her dragons saved meereen; not the unsullied, or the sellswords or the dothraki.  If I was one of the great masters, I would have waited until 7 years was up and if dany and her dragons were gone  by then I would just keep slaving away.  What is the point of attacking meereen anyways?  They already have a ton of slaves and can probably find new slaves elsewhere more easily.  These essos ppl never seem to act rationally at all.

1 hour ago, Jimmy is not No One said:

I was thinking about this too.  I feel like meereen is screwed once dany leaves, or at least should be screwed if the great masters weren't completely moronic.  Dany and her dragons saved meereen; not the unsullied, or the sellswords or the dothraki.  If I was one of the great masters, I would have waited until 7 years was up and if dany and her dragons were gone  by then I would just keep slaving away.  What is the point of attacking meereen anyways?  They already have a ton of slaves and can probably find new slaves elsewhere more easily.  These essos ppl never seem to act rationally at all.

Outside of the fact that Meereen was weak without Dany and they would've wrecked shop had she not come back. They knew once she got back they would be in for it, why not try and strike and cut her off from most of her resources when she's gone. Their plan was probably to get rid of the unsullied, second sons, advisors and Rhaegal and Viserion leaving her only with Drogon (they didn't know she had the Dothraki at that point yet). Tyrion laid out the point pretty well, Mereen surviving and prospering without slavery sends a message you don't need slavery to run.

I really don't know. A city in Slaver's Bay ruled by Dany's ideals seems to be doomed in the second Dany leaves. In the books, she leaves Astapor in hands of great men, educated, scholars, doctors etc. And then it sinks in such a chaos that even Littlefinger wouldn't be able to benefit from it. If she leaves Daario or GreyWorm behind, she loses a loyal man who could greatly help her in the future. And nothing guarantees that the man later doesn't get drunk with power and doesn't betray her. If she leaves a part of army there, she might miss that army while conquering Westeros. Leaving a dragon and a dragonrider behind might be the best thing to do to ensure peace but once again, a dragon is super valuable. I'd almost say that the best thing for Dany as a conqueror would be to leave Meereen and don't care about it. But for Dany as a mhysa, this is impossible and it would suck a bit to trying to rule a city for, how long, 2 seasons?, more?, and then just leave when it doesn't work... So really, there ain't no easy way to do this.

I really don't see how it is possible to split forces/resources enough to take/keep both Essos (or whatever parts of it you have) and Westeros, and I honestly thought that was supposed to be the point of the story. In reality the fear generated by Dany's dragons would keep the peace for a bit but the masters would eventually get uppity.

So really, if I'm Dany and Westeros is my goal I see no point in leaving anything behind.

Dany better leaves enough army and trusted ex-slave subordinates so that the sack of Astapor (by the masters) wouldn't happen again. Although I doubt their capability since before Dany come they outnumbered the freemen and masters by 5:1 yet couldn't even rebell against them.

Nothing matters if Dany has no heir. She has dragons and army to bend people to her rule for now. But if she died by some misshap, everything she's built up so far will immediately crumble into ash and cinder.

There's no way post-war starving Westerosi will welcome her and foreign invaders with open arms.

Archived