Will there be a great council ?

LordImp

A great council has been called two times ( i think). The first one was too discuss who would be monarch after Maegor the cruel and the second one to discuss the monarch after Maekar.

So what if a third great council is called together very close to the ending of the series .  Let's say it's after the long night has ended and characters like Jon and Dany are dead . So a great council is called together to discuss what to do , who will rule etc. 

Plausible that we get a great council before the end of the series ? 

3 hours ago, LordImp said:

A great council has been called two times ( i think). The first one was too discuss who would be monarch after Maegor the cruel and the second one to discuss the monarch after Maekar.

So what if a third great council is called together very close to the ending of the series .  Let's say it's after the long night has ended and characters like Jon and Dany are dead . So a great council is called together to discuss what to do , who will rule etc. 

It is possible that the Tourney at Harrenhal was actually a pretext for Rhaegar to have a great council sesh to discuss Aerys policy of being bat shit crazy.

That said, I don't see a great counsel for a few reasons. The iron throne is a targaryen throne and despite Robert's Rebellion has remained a targaryen throne since the conquerer conquered. If there still is a civilization to rule at the end of the series it should be a targaryen on the throne (either by force or blood) and if whomever is king finally breaks the 300+ year hold on kingship that the targaryen's had, then I feel the throne will need to be melted down the way Aegon melted the swords of the vanquished. If this happens, I don't see anyone in a position to reunite the kingdoms.

A Great Council would only makes sense if there were multiple claimants with strong claims/support alive at the end of the series. That is not very likely.

Nor is it very likely that the political situation in the end will be, well, civilized enough that a Great Council makes sense. A lot of people will have killed a lot of people, and there might certainly be enough bad blood between various factions that such a council would be very unlikely.

Not to mention that it would be a strange ending if there wasn't a clear candidate to inherit the throne at the end. Or a ruler who has conquered and is destined to hold it.

If Daenerys and Stannis both die, no one with a strong claim to the Iron Throne will be left, with the main branches of Houses Baratheon and Targaryen both extinct. This could indeed lead to a Great Council, or it could be settled by civil war.

So who would those lesser claimants be:

Aegon VI Targaryen (Blackfyre?): He has the support of the Golden Company, and possibly Dorne as well as part of the Stormlands. He claims to be Rhaegar's son, but the claim is dubious, considering that it is only supported by the words of Varys and Lord Connington.

Sansa Stark: She is, as long as Bran and Rickon remain lost, the rightful Warden of the North. She also has good claim to the Riverlands and the Vales through her mother and her engagement to Harry the Heir. However, no woman sat the Iron Throne so far, which speaks against her claim. Also, she can't claim any royal ancestry.

Jon Snow: He is most likely the son of Rhaegar. Also, a victory over the Others would gain him a lot of popular support. On the other hand, even if he is Rhaegar's son, he'd still be a bastard, as Rhaegar and Lyanna were not married. Also, there is the small problem that he got stabbed at least four times and may or may not be dead.

Myrcella Baratheon: Almost declared queen by Arianne Martell. Myrcella Baratheon is described as a intelligent and strong-willed as well as beautiful and curteous. Getting her ear cut off will be the smallest hurdle to the Iron Throne for her. After Joffrey's cruelty and Cersei's insanity, few will want their relative on the throne, even if Myrcella is nothing like them. There is also the accusation of her being Jaime's bastard daughter, and the lack of a supporting army.

Shireen Baratheon: Daughter of Stannis, rightful heir of Robert in case of Stannis' death. A sickly child scarred by greyscale. Decent claim, but too little support to make it.

Edric Storm: Only highborn bastard son of Robert Baratheon. A bastard, and without an army behind him, unlike the three first mentioned. Very unlikely to sit on the Iron Throne.

Gendry: Bastard, baseborn and outlaw. Not gonna happen.

16 hours ago, LordImp said:

A great council has been called two times (I think). The first one was to discuss who would be monarch after Maegor the Cruel

The first one was actually who would succeed the aging Jaehaerys after his preferred heir in second adult son, Baelon, died. Baelon had been chosen over Rhaenys, the only child of his first adult son, Aemon, after he had died several years before. There was also another one in 136AC to chose three new regents to rule for still underage, Aegon III.

It's certainly possible we will get a GC at the end as it were, but I think highly unlikely, & that the realm will split back into the Seven Kingdoms in one form or another anyway.

1 hour ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

The first one was actually who would succeed the aging Jaehaerys after his preferred heir in second adult son, Baelon, died. Baelon had been chosen over Rhaenys, the only child of his first adult son, Aemon, after he had died several years before. There was also another one in 136AC to chose three new regents to rule for still underage, Aegon III.

It's certainly possible we will get a GC at the end as it were, but I think highly unlikely, & that the realm will split back into the Seven Kingdoms in one form or another anyway.

My mistake about the first GC , thanks for telling ! I agree with you that the most likely outcome is the return of the seven Kingdoms or at least two Kingdoms .

12 hours ago, LordImp said:

My mistake about the first GC , thanks for telling ! I agree with you that the most likely outcome is the return of the seven Kingdoms or at least two Kingdoms

Easy done. Yeah, well for starters there may not be a KL left, let alone a Red Keep & Iron Throne. Every region will be war torn one way or another, but should still have a ruling House/system in place. The Riverlands &/or Vale may be merged with each other or the North. Plus the Stormlands & Crownlands may merge, be absorbed by other regions, or devolve into smaller kingdoms/areas.

On 6/26/2016 at 2:35 PM, LordImp said:

One of the main points of the series is that Feudalism and incestuous Monarchy and Bloodline and Royalty are stupid. There is no such thing as the rightful king or the prince that was promised.

A Great Council would be the exact opposite of what the whole narrative is about. A great council would essentially be a bunch of Nobles and Highborns trying to choose which Noble Highborn has the best claim. Nobles fighting over claims and starting wars over these claims kills off the smallfolk, destroys their land and no matter who wins or loses their position never changes. 

The only Great Council I want to see is after everyone of the Highborn claimants are dead, and group of lowborns get together and decide that Hot Pie is the best choice to govern everyone in a select area.    

Oh Gads, what a great idea!  Supposing Tommen meets some unfortunate end.   Yes there is war all around Kings Landing and plenty of people who want to take it.   But if Cersei is all there is and she's still awaiting trial or back in the cells or even roaming free about the Red Keep--wouldn't YOU want a Great Council to oust her?   Given all the bozos in power in King's Landing I don't think they could come up with a serious Great Council.   However, I'm not sure how this works, but I imagine ravens go out to all the great houses and influential houses who have to answer by attending.   Stannis has the Iron Bank's backing and a right decent claim--if he survives.   But no one likes him.   I would love to read the discussions of a Great Council trying to replace Tommen.   

On 6/28/2016 at 10:48 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Roberts eldest male heir married into a noble family to unite different factions.

But no one knows that Gendry is Roberts bastard. And even if they did, Hes still a lowborn bastard. Edric Storm might be a possibility because he has royalty on both sides and Robert actually acknowledged him because the mother was a maiden. But if it takes a King to Legitimize a bastard and if they're a great council no one who be able to legit Gendry or Edric. 

Second. It doesn't seem very likely that Gendry or Arya would come forward to make a claim at a great council. I like the Idea of it but its a fairy tale. 

18 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Oh Gads, what a great idea!  Supposing Tommen meets some unfortunate end.   Yes there is war all around Kings Landing and plenty of people who want to take it.   But if Cersei is all there is and she's still awaiting trial or back in the cells or even roaming free about the Red Keep--wouldn't YOU want a Great Council to oust her?   Given all the bozos in power in King's Landing I don't think they could come up with a serious Great Council.   However, I'm not sure how this works, but I imagine ravens go out to all the great houses and influential houses who have to answer by attending.   Stannis has the Iron Bank's backing and a right decent claim--if he survives.   But no one likes him.   I would love to read the discussions of a Great Council trying to replace Tommen.   

I think a great council could only happen if the Iron throne is vacant. As long as Tommen sits it their will be Lannisters backing him 

On 28. juni 2016 at 6:48 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Roberts eldest male heir married into a noble family to unite different factions.

Arya and Gendry ruling together is something i have considered for a while . It's a good idea ! 

26 minutes ago, House Beaudreau said:

I think a great council could only happen if the Iron throne is vacant. As long as Tommen sits it their will be Lannisters backing him 

My premise opened with the assumption Tommen dies.  I understand the circumstances for calling a great council.   I recently read some research that determined Cersei would actually be Tommen's heir.  That's a frightening prospect.  

36 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

My premise opened with the assumption Tommen dies.  I understand the circumstances for calling a great council.   I recently read some research that determined Cersei would actually be Tommen's heir.  That's a frightening prospect.  

Myrcella would be his heir

Archived