What kind of twins are Cersei and Jaime?

grufolo

I just thought that Cersei and Jaime may share their mother parentage but not the father. This is very rare in twins but not entirely impossible.

Jaime does not share his sister's fondness for fire, for one, and i thought that he could still be Tywin's while Cersei may be Aerys'

Is there someone who proposed this already? Could you link the thread?

It was proposed but I find it unrealistic. Jaime and Cersei are not too different. It's the other way around, they are too similar. They are too similar even for fraternal twins. They could fool anybody when they were kids if they dressed in each other's clothes despite the fact that they were a boy and a girl. They are might be some kind of semi-identical twins, with the same father, obviously.

3 hours ago, grufolo said:

I just thought that Cersei and Jaime may share their mother parentage but not the father. This is very rare in twins but not entirely impossible.

Jaime does not share his sister's fondness for fire, for one, and i thought that he could still be Tywin's while Cersei may be Aerys'

Is there someone who proposed this already? Could you link the thread?

Intersting but disagree. They are very similar and twins from separate fathers = ridiculously unlikely. Joanna would have had to ovulate 2 ova or split a single ovum within 5 days of having done the nasty with Aerys and then Tywin or vice versa. All the odds just stack up against this... 

They are clearly fraternal twins.

2 hours ago, Dofs said:

It was proposed but I find it unrealistic. Jaime and Cersei are not too different. It's the other way around, they are too similar. They are too similar even for fraternal twins. They could fool anybody when they were kids if they dressed in each other's clothes despite the fact that they were a boy and a girl. They are might be some kind of semi-identical twins, with the same father, obviously.

I know fraternal twins who can pass for identical even at 30. They are both male but looking strikingly similar to your sibling, let alone twin, is hardly uncommon

2 hours ago, grufolo said:

I agree that it isn't likely, but the differences in their personality are somehow telling of a diversity. Does anyone have a link of where it has been discussed?

A difference in identity doesn't mean that they have different fathers. That's not even how real twins work in the real world man.

The fact they are different sexes makes them fraternal twins. Their identical twin-like similarity in appearance probably comes from the fantasy genetics that exists in ASOIAF. (Family traits lasting for numerous generations etc.) I see no reason to believe they have different fathers, but then again I think A+J=T is blah.

10 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

They are clearly fraternal twins.

I know fraternal twins who can pass for identical even at 30. They are both male but looking strikingly similar to your sibling, let alone twin, is hardly uncommon

The point is, Cersei and Jaime are not both male or female but have different genders. Also this is not a case of them looking so similar that people who don't know them closely might mistaken them. It's a case of their actual parents and those who raised them not being able to tell them apart. While they were a boy and a girl. That's definitely not common at all. 

15 minutes ago, Dofs said:

The point is, Cersei and Jaime are not both male or female but have different genders. Also this is not a case of them looking so similar that people who don't know them closely might mistaken them. It's a case of their actual parents and those who raised them not being able to tell them apart. While they were a boy and a girl. That's definitely not common at all. 

At five or so when the clothes hide their gender? Right totally totally impossible. 

They are two sides of the same coin. That is a common theme throughout the books, more so in some arcs than others. GRRM bases his genetics in real world science, yet has to fudge them for the fantasy and literary aspect of the story. In the original outline Cersei didn't exist. Yes, I know much of that outline changed, but there was some reason GRRM added Cersei...what was it? 

The olsen twins looked completely identical even though they're fraternal (until Mary-Kate had plastic surgery, anyway). It is totally plausible for them to pass as each other, esp with cersei in jaime's armor, where they can't see her hair. I mean, in armor garlan passed for renly.

And their parents "raised" them as much as noble parents did. It wasn't like tywin tucked them in every night the way parents do now.

On 2/7/2016 at 7:12 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

They are two sides of the same coin. That is a common theme throughout the books, more so in some arcs than others.

Interesting wording as the idea that "Gods flip a coin" to decide if a Targ is mad or a wise man is another famous theme.

Ok so i can easily believe that they are of the same father. If that's true, i would put my money on

- the twins being of Aerys' seed (see Cersei's fascination with fire and destruction.... Aerys fascination with Joanna... blah blah these things have been said already),

If this all works out then Jaime is the best Valonqar candidate. If so, only three Targs are left in the world (assuming with the aid of off-book information, that the theory of Aegon being a Blackfyre is correct). That means Jaime is the third dragonrider.

- Daenerys

- Jon (or whatever his real name will turn out to be)

- Jaime

Is this combo being discussed elsewhere? Can you point out the thread to me if this is so?

18 hours ago, Cowboy Dan said:

There are only 7 M/F twins known in asoiaf. 1 is Jaime/Cersei, 1 are Baratheons (cadet Targaryen branch), and the other 5 are Targaryens. Seems a little too coincidental. I get GRRM makes the world semi-realistic but it's ultimately fantasy and child bearing runs on "blood" (whatever that means). Miscarriages to a Targaryen often results in babies with leathery skin, wings or other draconic qualities. I don't think real-world genetics is really applicable to asoiaf. But no I do not think they have different fathers for the reasons stated already.

There are the Redwine twins, Slobber and Horror, and the pair Olenna calls Left and Right who are Tyrells, I think.  But they are M/M (and I didn't read M/F as male/female at 1st).  I don't recall any female twins at all, but this is a curious thing here in the M/F twins.   

38 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

There are the Redwine twins, Slobber and Horror, and the pair Olenna calls Left and Right who are Tyrells, I think.  But they are M/M (and I didn't read M/F as male/female at 1st).  I don't recall any female twins at all, but this is a curious thing here in the M/F twins.   

Slobber and Horror, I love that no one ever remembers their real names. Sansa made that shit stick.(Maybe she should be married to Tyrion.) Her making fun of them is even better when you realize they were the Redwine twins that picked on Sam when he was a kid.

The thing about fraternal twins is that they are siblings that happen to be born at the same time. They can look the same (like some siblings who aren't twins that I know) or they can look fairly different (my twin sister and I). Personality too can be similar but doesn't have to be.

Cersei and Jaime may bear a strong physical resemblance to each other but there is no reason that any differences between them in personality should be any more unreasonable than differences between either of them and Tyrion.

Archived