Which major player will die next?

Cersei will die but there needs to be a big buildup so she's safe for at least 5 or 6 episodes.

Littlefinger could go, but there seems to be some maneuvering that has to happen there as well.

My money is on Theon being the next 'major' player to drop. It'll be a redemption story, perhaps saving Yara/Asha from a Euron assassination attempt but dying in the process.

On 7/14/2016 at 10:54 AM, JMJ said:

Aside from whether the Valemen find out about LF's murder of Lysa and/or collusion to murder Jon Arryn, the show has already sowed the seeds of discontent. They've made very obvious that Royce strongly dislikes LF. It won't take much for the Vale to turn on LF.

Works for me.

I think Littlefinger has painted himself into a corner, and is running out of room to maneuver really quickly.

On 15 July 2016 at 11:32 AM, lakin1013 said:

@Gaz0680

You have a pretty specific list yet you do not mention Jaime.  Is he simply at risk, like others, or do you see him not dying at all.

How do I get the red box on the users name to show that Gaz is notified? 

Jaime is definitely in the "at risk" category. It's far from certain, but there's a reasonable chance he will be killed off next season around the same time as Cersei. Jaime will probably either kill Cersei and then be killed by the Mountain or die hole trying to save Tyrion (who would then kill Cersei). 

On 07/07/2016 at 4:14 AM, Howlin Reed said:

Brienne will kill everyone (including both Clegane brothers at the same time) and sit the Iron Throne. Her and Pod will start a new lineage. Ha. 

I hope Brienne the next to go. what is her point now? 

On 05/07/2016 at 1:58 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yup.  I think the Wall will come down next season and the NW will be wiped out.  That has interesting implications for Sam's ultimate fate.

Good catch.  I never even considered that.  That situation will probably come to a head next season.

I think Jaime will be done next season and Cersei will probably have something to do with it.  Her tether to reality is getting thinner and thinner.  She's taken to dealing harshly with her enemies and, don't forget, Jaime freed the man who murdered Joffrey and also bears some responsibility for the death of Tywin. Maybe they die together, I dunno.  I have a suspicion that Cersei will make it to the end.  She may even survive the series somehow.

Sansa is in danger.

If Bronn names is kid with Lollys "Tyrion", he's done.

Sweet Robin will soon be finished.

I'm surprised Theon has made it this far to be honest.  Although, of the major characters, his storyline has deviates the most from Book Theon, so who knows?  Same for Yara.

Meera.

I hope sweet robin and or theon make it through. For some reason I see sweet robin lasting? 

On 07/07/2016 at 10:08 AM, permaximum said:

People have been saying "Littlefinger dies this season" for years so it's not a surprise. Actually I believe this season there were lots of posters thought he would die 100%, absolutely, definetely etc. It's the same old story... People want to believe that all those characters they hate will die soon enough. They haven't been paying attention.

I agree. 

On 07/07/2016 at 1:46 PM, Future Null Infinity said:

this is a famous misconception about the starks and their related direwolves, a dead direwolf doesn't indicate that the related stark will die shortly after, the first counter-example is Robb, he died before his direwolf, the second counter-example is Sansa herself, her direwolf died at the very start of the story and until now she's not dead, people are predicting that sansa will die each season since season 1 because of her dead direwolf and it was always false, the dead direwolf indicates only that the related stark will not be able to access the magical realm, this is why the story of sansa doesn't have the magical features like the other starks

Rickon anyone? 

On 10/07/2016 at 4:52 PM, Kytheros said:

Littlefinger lasting the entire season would be a plot-hole of biblical proportions. There is no conceivable way he can tapdance through the minefield of his own lies that long. He told the Vale that the Boltons raided Vale and stole Sansa from his custody on the way to his family home, and suggested that Lord Royce was the one to tell the Boltons where to find Sansa. The entire damned North probably knows Littlefinger was at the wedding - and Jon knows that Littlefinger "sold" Sansa to the Boltons.

Cersei isn't going to flee King's Landing to go North. If she flees King's Landing, she sets off all the wildfire she can on her way out and heads west to Casterly Rock.

Littlefinger lasting is rediclous which is why it may happen 

On 11/07/2016 at 3:11 AM, Lame Lothar Frey said:

Which major player will die next?

I'm hoping Jon dies next.  Followed by Sansa.  Jon should never have come back to life in the first place.  What is dead, should stay dead.

Not sure if trolling or serious 

On 7/19/2016 at 5:13 PM, Asvpxkvng said:

At the same time it seems an unfitting end for such an evasive character.

Not disagreeing with you, just making conversation:

Littlefinger is very sneaky and very clever, no doubt, but he HAS a weakness (his love for Cat), and he HAS made mistakes

But it's surely fun conversation.  What way do you think would be fitting for him to go?  In a nutshell, how would you write it, rather than what I think is going to happen, which is that he is going to be exposed for past crimes (probably by Sandor and Sansa)?

1 hour ago, Cron said:

Not disagreeing with you, just making conversation:

Littlefinger is very sneaky and very clever, no doubt, but he HAS a weakness (his love for Cat), and he HAS made mistakes

But it's surely fun conversation.  What way do you think would be fitting for him to go?  In a nutshell, how would you write it, rather than what I think is going to happen, which is that he is going to be exposed for past crimes (probably by Sandor and Sansa)?

You're probably right about his love as his weakness. Considering his love for Sansa being exposed it is entirely possible she plays him into his own death. This is both ironic and satisfying considering all the stuff he's done to her family. Perhaps Sandor will tell Sansa the truth and she decides to keep it a secret so she can play him into being helpful before killing him. Who knows ultimately I'd think it's wonderfully ironic if Sansa turns into a young Littlefinger who ends up using his vulnerability against him.

On 2016. 7. 20. at 7:49 AM, Jedi Renee said:

I hope Brienne the next to go. what is her point now? 

I hope sweet robin and or theon make it through. For some reason I see sweet robin lasting? 

I actually thought it might be the other way around -- Brienne survives, maybe even to the end of the show, while Sweetrobin goes out quick due to Littlefinger's machinations (if not a natural death -- he's very sickly in the books). Not wishing Sweetrobin's character ill but his death seems logical from the way most Great Houses are being wiped out in the show (Tyrells, Baratheons, Martells, etc etc). This way an entirely new ruling order can emerge, especially after Dany conquers Westeros.

1 hour ago, Cron said:

I like Aiden Gillan alot but I also agree he'll probably go at some point. Just thinking about possibilities, perhaps it will have to do with political machinations in the Vale? He's already killed Lysa, and I think he'll try to get rid of Sweetrobin later before the boy grows older. Yohn Royce and Sansa may unmask him at that point. Or he will try to drive a wedge between Sansa and Jon, and they out him. It would be fitting if Sansa had a role in his final demise -- that way she can feel free of his manipulations and also get revenge for Lysa and Ned Stark.

On 18/07/2016 at 0:47 PM, Rory Snow said:

My money is on Theon being the next 'major' player to drop. It'll be a redemption story, perhaps saving Yara/Asha from a Euron assassination attempt but dying in the process.

I think Theon has more to do for now. It's more likely that Yara and Euron will die, leaving an entirely incapable, mentally traumatised Theon to rationalise how he can possibly be Lord of the Iron Islands.

On 7/11/2016 at 1:46 PM, Gaz0680 said:

Let's look at this logically.

I don't think any single character is definitely going to be alive at the end, so at end of season 8 any or all could die. 

however, there are some I think MUST be alive at the start of the "War for Dawn" (humans v White walkers/wights) or their whole character arc won't make sense or have any real purpose.

As most believe the battle with WW won't really begin until season 8 (or last Ep of Sseason 7), I think we can make some fairly safe assumptions for who will survive season 7.

Definitely safe: Bran, Jon, Dany - these 3 all have a huge role to play in the war for dawn, especially Bran. His whole character arc throughout the series has been specifically around his importance in the coming battle against the others and developing his abilities to where they need to be.

Almost certainly safe: Tyrion, Arya, Sansa - Whilst I think there's a very small chance one of them may die in S7 (definitely not more than 1), I think it likely all 3 will survive. Tyrion is quite likely to be one of the three dragon riders in war for dawn and Arya's arc seems very unfinished, like there's a fair way to go yet. Also she will have a part to play in the battle - Arya is a warrior. Sansa is not a warrior, but I think she'll b very heavily involved in the game of thrones in S7 and will survive.

Probably safe: Varys, Queen of Thorns, Jaqen Hagar - Jaqen because I think the true motivations behind the Faceless Men won't be revealed until end of S7/early S8. Varys and Lady Ole na I'm suspecting to be winners next season in their political moves around the iron throne. They are the two best players left, along with LF.

In extreme risk: Cersei, Littlefinger - should be fairly obvious why in both cases. I don't expect either of them to be alive at end of S7. Everyone already wants Cersei dead and Littlefinger's plotting is surely going to be foiled by Sansa, Varys, Olenna (or combination of the 3) and he will be killed whilst trying some last minute desperate move.

At risk: everyone else.

I pretty much agree with what you have said here.  Now, another thing that I think we can take as a given is that no major character will die in the books but not the show or vice-versa when all is done and dusted, and D&D have been made aware of the major end game points.  Now, of course, as we stand there are characters who are alive in one and not the other (Stannis for instance) but that to me totally proves that, if he survives at all he certainly won't be a major player or gain the IT, say.

One think that we tend to think of when betting on characters' survival odds is how necessary they are to the continuing plot and fair enough.  However, I also think that one major point that has been made by George is that if someone's death is "necessary" for the plot to unveil or for another character's arc to come to fruition they do get the chop; i.e. Ned, the Red Wedding etc.  Okay, maybe it wasn't essential for Cat to die but for Rob and any possible progeny by him, yes.

Now, since I kind of subscribe to the 3 riders (metaphorically or literally) being: Dany, Jon and Tyrion and they are super important characters they will make it for sure till the end.  Beyond the final battle... not so sure about any of them...  Even if I am completely wrong re 3 heads of the dragon blah, my money is still on them.

No, Arya has caught my attention recently.  She is apparently George''s wife favourite character, but so Tyrion is his and at the very end... well...  That prophecy about the frozen needle seems rather explicit.  Still, given what we have seen with Arya changing her appearance, I do wonder (since these prophecies always seem to carry a twist) if that body they find is her true body or just a representation that she stars a new life well rid of her revenge desires as almost a complete different person.  To me there has to be more to the training with the House of B&W than just fulfilling her revenge path (again all these are just my opinions guys) so it could be fitting that she could use her skills even after she has finished with the list, which by the way is growing shorter by the minute.  Also interestingly in this thread some other detail has been mentioned on the notes of her marrying a king.  I haven't got the exact quote and maybe it did say for sure that it would be a Targ, but how about Gendry?  I know it sounds a little fanfiction like but someone has to have a kind of happy ending I guess.  To me the way that he said to her (not sure if in the show but at least the books when they departed:  "you're not a lady, you're "my" lady" to me is telling although it could mean nothing just a formal way of speaking.  I definitely don't put my money on her and Jon.  Again, I am aware of the reasoning in favour of Jon/Arya and at the end of the day no one knows for sure.

Bran definitely survives IMHO even beyond the very last page of the very last book.  He is going to be necessary to keep the status quo of natural forces and humans in the new order.  By the way my take in the War of Dawn is that Fire and Ice are not that far off from something akin to Celtic mythology and the concepts of the Seelie (Summer) and the Unseelie (Winter) courts of Faerie, although not saying that this will be identical and taken straight from this mythology but the idea that one cannot exist without the other or the seasons will collapse (which seems to be what has been happening in this world and which I believe George said will be resolved at the very end).  So Bran stays.  Meera, well, I kind of ship them but I don't think the story is going there so who knows... maybe she needs to lose all helpers in order to fulfill his role by himself (a bit like in Harry Potter with him losing one by one all his mentors/protectors etc and after Hodor??? maybe).  The one thing I am sure is that he is going to be the one to bring the Wall down, not on purpose but still...

Sansa, well, wolf or not wolf my bet is on her surviving series 5 and being alive till the end, again like with Tyrion et al, beyond that???  It would depend on how the plot pans out and who she ends up with, with what power  etc.  I am certain though that she will take down LF although probably (at least in the books) not physically as not stabbing him or something.  I think either someone will blab to her and her to others re what they know about him (LF) and this to me could be either Sandor or Tyrion (or even Sweet Robin...) and that creating some sort of house of carts event or she will basically blackmail him with the knowledge she has on him for a while first and then somewhat indirectly cause his demise.

Now, it is very interesting and I have to admit having overlooked some details that a number of people here have pointed at Sandor being the one to compare notes with Jon or Sansa re LF's involvement in Ned's demise.  For sure someone has to do it before the series is over and Sandor has been kept alive for a reason.  Now, most fans are more for the idea of San/San than San/Rion and I am definitely not going into this at length again as I have participated in debates on this topic ad infinitum and neither side is convinced.  I can say though that, in the books there appear to be hints towards both possibilities.  Now, I find curious that both these guys could compare notes with Sansa re LF.  Tyrion especially has been his victim twice in that he got carrying the can for crimes he hadn't committed and LF was to blame.  I would argue that he has more reason to team up with Sansa and plot some kind of clever revenge (to me making use of him first rather than cold blood murder) but although I don't doubt Tyrion and Sansa will meet again, maybe not for a while and it could well be that is Sandor who compares notes with her and they are the two involved in this revenge. Either way LF is getting the chop but not sure it will be happening terribly soon.  The way I see it is, Robin will find out he killed his mother, the Lords of the Vale will be pissed off with him (in the books to add insult to injury LF is hoarding food supplies so he will hold them at ransom all winter etc) for various reasons and they will revolt and kill him but Sansa (and whoever compares notes with her) would have caused this indirectly.  Maybe a stretch but that is how I see it anyway.

Brienne - well her arc seems very connected with both the promise she made to Cat, i.e. her daughters and with Jamie.  I think these two will definitely see each other again.  Now, what I struggle with is figuring out the specific sequence in which Jamie/Brienne/Tyrion/Cersei's decisive interactions will take place.  I think definitely Tyrion and Jaime have to make up before Jaime dies (will be very favourably surprised if he didn't), also Dany/Jamie now that I think of it.  Also, although it seems a little too easy for Jaime to be the Volonquar (but so is Tyrion) the show really points that way.  As it has been said here at one of the points when she really has crossed the line yet again in her madness.  My bet would be to go for what Cersei said "we came into the world together, we will leave this world together" but how this works with meeting Brienne and Tyrion... could be... not sure how it will play out though.  So yes Cersei definitely dead.  

So far going for the favourites of Cersei and Littlefinger.

Theon - I do like the idea of him fully redeeming himself by sacrificing himself for some noble cause, or his sister or something but haven't got a definitely prediction either way.

Now Sam and Gilly I am going to bet a golden dragon that they make it past the battle of Dawn.  However, I am convinced for some silly reason that vows of celibacy will no longer be required of men of the NW if the institution still exist in some capacity when all is over and that they will marry.  Him stealing that sword has more significance "me thinks" that just annoying his dad.  It will play an important part.  Sam will find himself entangled in the battle, probably against his wishes and will act heroically again.  I think through him and Pod George has been trying to tell us that sometimes the ones who look useless in battle or even craven can surprise as in a very favourable way.

As from Bronn, Tormund, Edd etc no clue so far but yeah everyone else I guess potentially in danger apart from the 5 or 6 above mentioned as safe for now...

It depends, what does meant "major character" (is Bronn major charakter or he isn't? ;) )
Ok. My money on:
Cersei - im pretty sure she will die in 7 season
Jaime - i'm afraid, he will die too.
Bronn. Died with his friend Jaime
Littlefinger- so clever in books, so stupid man in tv series...
My beloved Sandor will die in 8 season, in batlle with white walkers.
Davos, Tormund, Brienne. Their time is over.
Starks, Tyrion and Daenerys are safe.

(and welcome back, my dear friends. Finally I remembered my password... )

So I'm actually rewatching season 3 for some reason and im at the scene where Mellisandre sees Arya and she says " I see darkness in you. And in that darkness three sets of eyes. One brown, one blue, one green". We can give brown eyes to Maryn Trant, blue to Walder Frey? not sure if he really has blue eyes its kinda tough to tell. But the green eyes almost certainly implies a Lannister and probably Cersei. Ofcourse this is only from the show so who knows that they really will do as they seem to contradict themselves quite often. But seems safe to say Arya will kill Cersei in season 7 imo.

On 7/21/2016 at 3:10 AM, Asvpxkvng said:

You're probably right about his love as his weakness. Considering his love for Sansa being exposed it is entirely possible she plays him into his own death. This is both ironic and satisfying considering all the stuff he's done to her family. Perhaps Sandor will tell Sansa the truth and she decides to keep it a secret so she can play him into being helpful before killing him. Who knows ultimately I'd think it's wonderfully ironic if Sansa turns into a young Littlefinger who ends up using his vulnerability against him.

Good stuff, seriously, I think that would be interesting storytelling (for books and show), kind of like political judo.

And I agree with you, that would be a lot more fitting and satisfying than Sandor blowing the whistle on Littlefinger and Jon just executing Littlefinger in the next 5 minutes.

With Mel being forced South and Arya making her way North, I think it's likely they'll meet up - Mel did say as much way back in the second or third season - and it's possible Arya might kill her, especially if she finds out about the shit Mel has done (and I don't really see Mel hiding it these days).

Obvious Cersei will bite it, but I think they'll be keeping her in as long as they possibly can because she's a great human villain and they clearly love Lena. I expect Jaime will shortly follow, which sucks but since Jaime hasn't been Jaime since season 3 it's not as bad as if we were losing bath Jaime (for me, at least).

I think they'll need to dispose of most if not all of the human villains (so that means Littlefinger too) and focus the final part of the show on the second war for the dawn or the battle of ice and fire or whatever it's going to be called.

LF

Cersie does not die until season 7 finale. KL must have a bad guy for Dany to defeat. We must have a Tyrion Cersei reunion. I would say lady Olenna, but I think she has been dead the whole time anyways, just a wight wrapped up in silk to not exposing her decomposing corpse.

I think Cersei will die in the next season. She rose to power by killing her opponents that were very popular with the people of the city (Margaery and the high sparrow). I think she will be killed by Jaime.

I think Lady Olenna will die because the thruth about the death of Joffrey will be spoken and this might make Tyrion a little bit upset(He got blamed for something he didn't do).

Since Daenerys is a kind person, the way the sand snakes killed their ruler will disgust her much enough to banish them from the realm. 

On July 6, 2016 at 6:22 PM, permaximum said:

On the contrary. He has to do some really evil stuff before dying. That's how the minds of the showrunners tick.

Uh... I think LF already has that covered. Pretty much every death can be laid at his feet since it was his idea to kill Jon Arryn and have Lysa contact Catelyn, which ended up ensuring that Eddard accepted the position of hand etc etc.  

Cersei ain't surviving Season 7, her story is coming to an end. Jaime will most likely kill her and possibly die in the process. I hope not tbh but after Cersei is gone what use is Jaime to the overall story? Bringing the Westerlands into the fold? Daenerys already has one Lannister behind her that can rally the remainder of the Westerlands to her cause. Only thing Jaime can do after he has killed Cersei is either wrap up his relationships with Bronn, Brienne, Tyrion, etc then what? Fight the White Walkers? He isn't as good of a fighter as he once was and can barely take on 1 soldier by himself. He'd get destroyed by 1 wight, unless he got oathkeeper back from Brienne.

Jaime is easily one of my favorite characters in this story but his arc seems to be coming full circle as well. History repeats itself and with Jaime this time its gonna hurt bad to do what he's gotta do. After killing Cersei he won't sit on the IT all smug like back during RR when he killed Aerys, he'll be completely broken, and on the verge of suicide probably. He wanted to give up when his hand got cut off, after he is forced to kill the women he "loves" the future won't look too good to Jaime. Even if Dany truly forgives him for what he did to her father.

I find LF being part of the "bittersweet" ending George was talking about. What if he just survived and went unpunished for all the things he's done and caused? The only way I could see LF being stupid enough to get himself killed is if it involves Sansa since she is his one weakness. That is literally the only way I see LF getting taken out is through her.

In real life people get away with things all the time, bad things. That is just the way the world works and always will. What if Jon and Dany defeat the WWs but LF who caused everything in the political arena is able to survive? He ain't getting the IT but that doesn't mean he's gonna die either. (I'm a little biased when it comes to discussing LF's fate because he is one of my favorite characters lol)

Archived