Why wasn't Stannis fostered?

Canon Claude

Hi, new to this site.

One thing I've always been puzzled by is the fact that while Robert and Eddard were sent to Jon Arryn at young ages, and Brandon was with the Dustins, Stannis never seems to have been fostered out to another family, or at least he never seems to mention that experience.

Why not send him to the Reach or Riverlands? Or at least another stormlord?

Hard to say, but Jaime Lannister was not fostered as well despite being heir to House Lannister. Robb Stark was never sent to be fostered as well.

I would suppose fostering is not as common as it might seem, especially among high lords.

22 minutes ago, MinotaurWarrior said:

He was famously unlovable, which made the whole idea counter-productive. Why would you send your kid away to make new enemies?

Well maybe he'd have found a brother of his own. Maybe Edmure or Garlan? Hell, why not Benjen?

34 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Well maybe he'd have found a brother of his own. Maybe Edmure or Garlan? Hell, why not Benjen?

Because he's too much of a whiney, self-righteous prick to make any friends amongst his own peers

Robert was probably sent to the Vale to strengthen ties between Stormlands and the vale, Same with Ned. I guess there was no need to send Stannis away Cressen was going to take care of him.

I have always had the impression that the death of his parents affected Stannis more than Robert. He might have wanted to Stay at home, while Robert was ready for adventure, and women.

58 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

Because he's too much of a whiney, self-righteous prick to make any friends amongst his own peers

Frankly, he turned out pretty decent for a guy who watched his parents die horribly in front of him. Robert must have been a sociopath to not have been as affected by watching the same event.

4 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Frankly, he turned out pretty decent for a guy who watched his parents die horribly in front of him. Robert must have been a sociopath to not have been as affected by watching the same event.

Robert dealt with it differently than Stannis, drinking, fighting,  and women, but both ended up miserable individuals the same. 

Stannis was never fostered because dental care is wicked expensive in the seven kingdoms and no one could afford to take care of all his cracked teeth from his incessant teeth grinding. 

I kid. I love Stannis and he knows it. 

1 hour ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Frankly, he turned out pretty decent for a guy who watched his parents die horribly in front of him.

He seems to have had a similar temperament before their death if Steffon's letter tells us anything.

8 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I like Stannis and Edmure and Garlan, but I don't think they would have gotten along. Edmure sleeps around (with nonmagical women) and hates being scolded. Garlan was fat and sensitive as a child, and Stannis is the most bluntly rude man in Westeros. As for Benjen... do we really know anything about Benjen's personality? I'm sure Stannis could find a point of conflict.

Now that I'm running through the list though, I do so an interesting possibility with Stannis being fostered at dragonstone. I think that could have worked. Stannis can't smile - Rhaegar has lifelong chronic depression. Stannis is obsessed with duty - Rhaegar is his eventual king. Rhaegar could have taught Stannis some coping mechanisms, used him as a practice round for fatherhood, and, later on, found a non-customer-facing role for him. Did Stannis have the potential to become a member of the Kingsguard?

1 hour ago, Ruhail said:

Someone needed to stay home with Renly and raise him/look after him or maybe keep a Baratheon influence around im guessing.

But Robert was fostered when Steffon and Cassana were still alive. They would have no reason to keep a brother behind to help raise Renly unless they knew they were doomed to die soon.

39 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

But Robert was fostered when Steffon and Cassana were still alive. They would have no reason to keep a brother behind to help raise Renly unless they knew they were doomed to die soon.

Plus, I think Renly was only one or two when his parents died. Stannis would have been about 14/15, so probably a bit old for fostering at that stage. I guess we don't know where he did his squiring - it may have been with a Stormlands house.

Stannis was 14 when his parents died, so he should have been sent to foster earlier. Perhaps his father decided he would never be social success elsewhere and kept him home. I always got the impression Steffon didn't like him or think much of him -- which is sad, and probably contributed to shaping his personality. 

We know fostering was common, but I don't think we have enough data to say if it is all that unusual not to be fostered.  Especially if you're a second son and your brother is already being fostered.  Maybe Maester Cressen pushed to keep Stannis there.

On 7/5/2016 at 10:56 AM, Wall Flower said:

Plus, I think Renly was only one or two when his parents died. Stannis would have been about 14/15, so probably a bit old for fostering at that stage. I guess we don't know where he did his squiring - it may have been with a Stormlands house.

Is Stannis a knight? I didn't think he was. 

Archived