Pokemon Go

Denvek

9 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

So, question... I'm now level 18. I have enough candy to evolve my Bulbasaur (CP level 433), but it will likely be a long time before I collect enough candy to evolve it a second time. Should I just continue to hoard the candy until I have enough to do both evolutions at once? Because I am thinking that by that time, I will likely have a Bulbasaur with a higher CP level.

I agree with Ser Paladin here. Wait.

I evolved my Bulbasaur as soon as I had enough candy to do so. As of yesterday, I now have 100 more candies - and a Bulbasaur with a higher CP than the Ivysaur I evolved. I'll wait until I have 125 candies before evolving to third level. I could just evolve the better Bulbasaur now - but I figure that by the time I get another 25 candies, I might get an even better Bulbasaur. Or Niantic might change spawns again and I'll never see another, in which case I'll just evolve the crap one to fill out the Pokedex.

Waiting for another 25 candies isn't all that long to wait after gathering 100. It's far better than evolving an ivysaur now and then needing another 125 to evolve a better one.

And if you're really impatient, you could simply do the same. Evolve now for the fun of getting the new one ASAP, with the deliberate plan of getting another 125 candies to do the third level evolve on a better candidate. (And some people want to have one of every pokemon in your collection - so you can just have the weak ivysaur fill that slot)

13 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I mean, not that I give a damn about having more Golbats, but if you're constantly transferring all of your trash pokemon without at least evolving one to put in the Pokedex, you might eventually lose out. I haven't seen a Zubat nearby in almost two weeks (and before that, it was the #3 reliable spawn after Pidgey and Rattata).

I knew absolutely nothing about Pokemon before this game (too old to have caught that craze). But I was reading yesterday that some generation 2 pokemon are third stage evolves of generation 1 ones. And one of those is a further evolution of the Golbat. So you might want to save up 100 candies or so ready. (Another one I recall reading was two new Evee evolves, so might want to save some of those as well).

Who knows when Niantic will release Gen 2, though. Could be weeks, months or a year. (I think weeks is very unlikely - there's still some legendary Gen 1's that aren't released, and I figure they will come first).

6 hours ago, SerPaladin said:

Wait. I feel like I'm the poster child for jumping to evolve them too soon. I'm slowly rotating out Pokemon that I was overjoyed to evolve a couple weeks ago. I evolved the wrong Squirtle, which is an issue. I also evolved the wrong Oddish, which isn't as bad, but I'm a long way away from that third evolution.

I remember long ago (weeks!) when I finally was attacking gyms. I had such heavy hitters as a Pidgeot, a Fearow, and a Dodrio, and since they are flyers and I'm a nerd, I named them Maverick, Goose and Iceman. Even "good" version of those pokemon wouldn't make my top-15 now, and the novelty of funny renames has worn off. Though my Dewgong is still named "The Deal" from before his evolution.

I still rename mine even at level 21.  It makes me giggle.  I sometimes pick names though that remind me of their attacks.  

Like I have a Pidgeot that is a power house.  It has Wing Attack and Hurricane (special attack) with a pretty killer DPS, if I can keep my dodges he can wreck some stacks on towers.  I call him Rubin Carter.

I thought giving silly names to my pokemon was fun until I learned...

(don't read if you don't want it to spoil your fun as well)

Spoiler

other people don't see the nicknames you chose when you put them in a gym. Hardly seemed any point after learning that.

1 hour ago, AndrewJ said:

I thought giving silly names to my pokemon was fun until I learned...

(don't read if you don't want it to spoil your fun as well)

Reveal hidden contents

other people don't see the nicknames you chose when you put them in a gym. Hardly seemed any point after learning that.

Yeah, I know.  It still makes me giggle to myself.  Plus, some of my Coworkers and I look at the other's list and they love some of my names, so, good times.

10 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

I knew absolutely nothing about Pokemon before this game (too old to have caught that craze). But I was reading yesterday that some generation 2 pokemon are third stage evolves of generation 1 ones. And one of those is a further evolution of the Golbat. So you might want to save up 100 candies or so ready. (Another one I recall reading was two new Evee evolves, so might want to save some of those as well).

Who knows when Niantic will release Gen 2, though. Could be weeks, months or a year. (I think weeks is very unlikely - there's still some legendary Gen 1's that aren't released, and I figure they will come first).

Yes, there are a few Pokemon that get evolved states in gen 2 (and beyond). You also get pre-evolution Pokemon like Pichu, Cleffa and Igglybuff. Can't think of them all at the minute but other than Golbat I can think of Seadra too. Then there is Bellossom which is an alternative evolution of Gloom (I wonder, will that just work like Eevee where it is a 50/50 chance? That's going to suck seeing as Gloom needs 100 candies to evolve), Scizor which evolves from Scyther. So yeah, I think some Pokemon will be worth keeping around

For those who battle in gyms: What are your favorite move sets? And which ones do you feel are totally worthless?

Solar Beam (Exeggutor) is reliably effective and, surprisingly, so is Power Gem (Starmie). I've destroyed a lot of higher-powered mon with those. The latter is somewhat odd in that Hydro Pump is supposed to have higher DPS, but I've found that one to be pretty ineffective...

13 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Updated the game two days ago.  Haven't seen a single pokemon since.  Also, all of the pokestops I used to frequent are gone and I've only seen a couple in recent days.  Before that, my pokemon were still topping out at about 300.  This game turned to utter shit. :)

Might be a soft IP ban for someone on your local network using bots.

So do you think that at some point, they will add a feature that will make it worthwhile to use lower value Pokemon in some sort of battle? 

Because right now, I've got some near little Pokemon that I'd like to play with, but since they're all 400 CP or below, there's no point since all the gyms have much, much more powerful Pokemon in them.

3 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

For those who battle in gyms: What are your favorite move sets? And which ones do you feel are totally worthless?

Solar Beam (Exeggutor) is reliably effective and, surprisingly, so is Power Gem (Starmie). I've destroyed a lot of higher-powered mon with those. The latter is somewhat odd in that Hydro Pump is supposed to have higher DPS, but I've found that one to be pretty ineffective...

I had a different experience with Hydro Pump.  I have it combined with Water Gun and the combined DPS of both, I can wreck things.  The problem I see in my area is that people tend to use a Water Pokemon to defend, so that attack is weak against it.

I mentioned earlier my Pidgeot Rubin Carter, his Wing Attack and Hurricane do some great damage and just dependable, rarely do I hit someone who has a strong defense against that.

Because of the abundance of Water Pokemon at Gyms, I end up relying on my Joltean's Thunder Shock and Thunder Ability.  It is nice and fast and he can melt some faces with it.  

Solar Beam is nice!  (It also hurts Water Pokemon a ton).  I have that on one of my mon that, unfortunately has to few HPs, so getting it off is a suicide run, but he can usually take one with him.

A well timed Fire Blast can also do some heavy damage.

I tend to like quick attacks that let me sneak a dodge in.  I'm trying to get a better handle on the slower attacks.  I really think that is what makes or breaks me in some fights, getting a well timed dodge in when a super ability pops up.

7 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

So do you think that at some point, they will add a feature that will make it worthwhile to use lower value Pokemon in some sort of battle? 

Because right now, I've got some near little Pokemon that I'd like to play with, but since they're all 400 CP or below, there's no point since all the gyms have much, much more powerful Pokemon in them.

I have used Pokemon to take on CPs more than double my size and won.  If their strength matches up on their weakness that can make a big difference.  And, if your connection is good, dodging can be a real life saver.  I had a Valporean that was my strongest fighter despite having a crappy attack because of the fact that he just had a ton of HP and if I got my dodging timed, I always had a puncher's chance in a fight. 

6 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I have used Pokemon to take on CPs more than double my size and won.  If their strength matches up on their weakness that can make a big difference.  And, if your connection is good, dodging can be a real life saver.  I had a Valporean that was my strongest fighter despite having a crappy attack because of the fact that he just had a ton of HP and if I got my dodging timed, I always had a puncher's chance in a fight. 

This has also been my experience. I've slayed some 'mon that were way more powerful than mine with a combo of good head-to-head matchup plus a ton of dodging. I spent one battle just circling a Snorlax and then stabbing it in the side or butt. It took almost the entire 90 seconds to win, but it worked.

Guy -- good to know about those other movesets. I'm just about to do a major evo-session and then I'll evaluate the resultant 'mon for those kinds of attacks. 

For those who are curious, in no surprise Silph Road has a good breakdown of moves. https://thesilphroad.com/research

I'll dig around for the resource I found awhile back that lays out pretty clearly which moves are effective against which classes of 'mon.

Suffering through level 22. I have caught 85 out of 86 seen. I evolved a nice 1132 Cloyster and an Ivysaur and Graveler in the 800's. Forgot the Starmie at 1190. My strongest ones are an Exeggutor (1644,) Vaporeon (1432,) and Golduck (1307.) I now have 13 over 1000. I have a 900 Seadra, which I love. The sad thing is that I've never been part of a group battle, so I'm looking forward to that next week. 

I try to dodge when I see the mon rearing back but I get so nervous all I do is do the face to face thing. I tend to laugh my head off while battling. This doesn't help the cause. 

Usually the screen kind of does a white flash.  That is when you need to dodge.  Sometimes it is laggy though and it won't work.  There are other little animations too.

I am 4 Magikarp from a Gyarados

How does dodging work? I've had a couple of gym fights now but wasn't sure what I was doing, other than tapping/press-holding. Dodgin would really have helped since I was actually doing okay with my Hypno.

They say there's no thing as bad publicity, but this is plain dumb: Woman tells police she was raped by a pokemon. I can't believe someone spends time picking up this crazy stories and making them news (and then sharing them elsewhere :P).

Unfortunately, Pokemon fever dropped at my workplace and I'm no longer near active players. Talking to a friend (that still plays) about pkm stats we realised that there are no items (that we're aware) for correcting stats. Hoping that when I finally join the game it has all the cool stuff added in the later generation that makes it more interesting raising pokemon.

On 8/12/2016 at 7:48 PM, Zar Lannister said:

And a similar music taste perhaps! 

Cae el sol!

Definitely! And for getting the reference, gracias totales :D

I finally hatched something other than trash. I got a Cubone. I also caught a wild Mankey. One weird thing happened. I received three eggs from a Pokestop. I touched them and they were listed on the top right of the screen. When I went to check on them to start incubating, I only showed one new one, not three. I only had two others incubating so I was nowhere near the 9 max. This has happened to me more than once. Has this happened to any of you? I'm assuming it's a glitch. It's still annoying.

Archived