America: Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Daendrew

On July 28, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Daendrew said:

At the 2016 Democratic National Convention Vice President Joe Biden gave a subtle nod to George R. R. Martin and Dorne in his speech, which starts at the 16:30 mark.

He said:

We’ve had candidates before attempted to get elected to appealing to our fears, but they never succeeded, because we do not scare easily. We never bow, we never bend, we never break when confronted with crisis. No, we endure, we overcome and we always, always, always move forward.

I think it was a very nice touch and a testament to GRRM's tremendous talent and contribution.

He should have given a subtle nod to Mike Meyers and the fact that Hil was dressed like Dr Evil

3 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Most appropriate, since Donald has been all "Hear me roar" since always.

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. 

He is the fury.

13 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

Obama was in a PSA with the premise "Naming all the characters who died in Game of Thrones is hard: registering to vote is not" and when he got to Hodor he frowned and went "that was really sad". It made me believe that at least Barry watches the show. I like to imagine him and Michelle and Joe and Jill all get together every Sunday to watch.

There is a difference, the words to House Martell are not said much in the show, if at all, especially since we barely see them

8 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

No,Donald Trump is no way near a Lannister.

Right. From his famous wealth, which was, frankly, mostly inherited. Through his surprising prudence not to spend too much of his own actual money. To that bizarre thing atop of his head, kinda resembling lion's mane. No similarity whatsoever. B)

3 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Right. From his famous wealth, which was, frankly, mostly inherited. Through his surprising prudence not to spend too much of his own actual money. To that bizarre thing atop of his head, kinda resembling lion's mane. No similarity whatsoever. B)

But their signature line "A Lannister always pays his debts" is literally the opposite of Trump.  His line would be "I never pay my debts, if you try and make me I'll declare bankruptcy."

23 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Problem is that inhertiting vast wealth is also a mark of pretty much every single major House in Westeros, and I have never seen that the Lannisters would refrain from spending their own money when needed. So yes, pretty much no similarities that Trump don't share with around 90% of the Westerosi Houses in the books and that the rest are far to far-fetched to be really anything. In fact I could say that Trump is actually a Manderly with more rights than him being a Lannister.

On 2016-07-30 at 3:32 PM, Daendrew said:

Donald Trump is absolutely like the Lannisters. They are both fictional billionaires.

So are the Hightowers, Manderlys, Targaryens (pre-Robert) etc. Why should he be a Lannister and not a Hightower or Manderly?

Forgot to post this, so I apologize for double-post.

5 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I'm amazed that this topic hasn't been moved, and delighted that it's stayed light and enjoyable. 

But now that you mention it, which house words would make the best campaign slogans?

Martells take the cake I think. It's really good writing.

Honor Before Honors is a good meta political saying. 

On 7/30/2016 at 8:25 AM, LionoftheWest said:

No,Donald Trump is no way near a Lannister.

Well he does have golden toilets at his hotel and strong connection between shitting and gold draws parallels to Tywin

Trumps affection for nukes sounds like Aerys or Cersei. The Wall and predjudice more like Thorne. Bankruptcies and misogyny are more Robert, but the instability comes back to Aerys. Perhaps the real parallel is Visaerys. Trump is born with a silver spoon but keeps losing his money, is unwise in dealing with others and yet is willing to align with a foreign power.

Archived