Which Non-Plot Changing Mystery Are You Most Interested In?

Maxxine

5 hours ago, Maxxine said:

So there are a lot of important mysteries in this book that have the potential to drastically change the plot (RLJ, Where's Benjen?, Where's Tyrek?, Is Aegon really Aegon?, etc). But there are also some smaller mysteries that won't be plot changing but still have some level of intrigue. These are the ones that potentially will never be answered and just left to the imagination, but I still find them interesting. The ones I am most interested in is:

1) What happened to Weasel, the little girl who was with Arya for a while and got away when Arya was caught by the Mountain's men. As much as I not a big proponent of symbolism, I can acknowledge the obvious symbolism in this case. Weasel wasn't meant to be a secondary or even a third-tier character; just symbolizes Arya's loss of childhood and innocence (one of the saddest moments in the books imo). But anyway I still want to know what happened to Weasel. One sentence about a weasel faced girl being at the Crossroads Inn with the other orphan children would make me happy. 

2) Lewyn Martell's paramour. It's a throwaway comment by Barristan, but I'm curious.

Those are the two I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are others.

Where is Richard Lonmouth? Where is Tyrek Lannister? How is it that a guy with a green beard who was as tall as the mountain happens to be wandering westeros and no one happens to know who the hell he is? How is it that Jorah Mormont, a relatively unknown northern knight from a poor northern island, made it through the breach at pyke with a valyrian steel sword and not one single person seems to know about it? (Ok, the last one is kind of important because Jorah never had no valyrian steel sword)

39 minutes ago, Joy Hill said:

The Hand who used Chataya's secret passage (maybe Tywin, but it's possible it'll never be explicit).

I would bet a significant amount of money it was Tywin. Lol. Just makes too much sense not to be. 

6 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

Where is Richard Lonmouth? Where is Tyrek Lannister? How is it that a guy with a green beard who was as tall as the mountain happens to be wandering westeros and no one happens to know who the hell he is? How is it that Jorah Mormont, a relatively unknown northern knight from a poor northern island, made it through the breach at pyke with a valyrian steel sword and not one single person seems to know about it? (Ok, the last one is kind of important because Jorah never had no valyrian steel sword)

I think Tyrek is going to be important or at least has the potential to be important.

Just now, Maxxine said:

I would bet a significant amount of money it was Tywin. Lol. Just makes too much sense not to be. 

I think Tyrek is going to be important or at least has the potential to be important.

In fairness, I think everything is going to be important....up to and including tyrek, rhaegars rubies and why weirwoods have red sap. That said, Tyrek is at least seemingly less important than, say, who Jon's parents are....for the nonce......for the nonce

In Jamie's final chapter, they camp in Pennytree. Jamie wonders about the tree with all the Penny's and speculates that the Blackwood kid, his hostage could probably explain the meaning of it, but it would spoil the fun of the mystery.

On the basis of that part, I have a feeling that there will be a few mysteries, large or small that we will never have answers for. Just my own little prediction.

1 hour ago, Joy Hill said:

Those aren't exactly mysteries but. . .

What were Jaime's thoughts from the time he punched Red Ronnet until he sent him away? Did he stop to think why he was so angry? (Okay, probably not.) Did he tell him in person that he's banished, or did he have someone do it?

LoL Iike it!  there are many jaime's thoughts I'd love to know!!

I was reading the World Book and in the section about hardhome there was a Maester Wyllis who lived there for 3 years and wrote a book. His protector Gorm the Wolf was killed and he returned to Oldtown and wrote his book. He then vanished after the book was finished. Some claimed that he went back to the Wall, though I do wonder what happened to him.

Is Tormund Lyanna Mormont's father?

Why didn't the Cranogmen take Moat Cailin?

Does Braavos maintain forts and outposts on the Stepstones?

Why didn't Valyrians exterminate the Dothraki?

How come Targs did not try to recreate the infrastructure of Valyria?

Why would Free Cities and Volantis suffer the Stone Man threatening an important trade route?

2 hours ago, Balerion's Whiskers said:

What happened to Nettles and Sheepstealer?

Someone pointed out to a long time ago that Nettles and Sheepstealer was the fire witch and her dragon that were worshiped by the Burned Men after the Dance of Dragons. I had a tin foil hat suspicion that Nettles was pregnant by Prince Daemon Targaryen and her child may be an ancestor to Timmett as well the theory of him being an Arryn heir. 

Just now, Pain killer Jane said:

Someone pointed out to a long time ago that Nettles and Sheepstealer was the fire witch and her dragon that were worshiped by the Burned Men after the Dance of Dragons. I had a tin foil hat suspicion that Nettles was pregnant by Prince Daemon Targaryen and her child may be an ancestor to Timmett as well the theory of him being an Arryn heir. 

I've seen that before and think that is an interesting and plausible theory. There's something to the legend that the Burned Men tell and this makes sense...it is said that the last anyone saw of Nettles and Sheepstealer is that they were headed in the general direction of the Vale.

2 hours ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

In Jamie's final chapter, they camp in Pennytree. Jamie wonders about the tree with all the Penny's and speculates that the Blackwood kid, his hostage could probably explain the meaning of it, but it would spoil the fun of the mystery.

On the basis of that part, I have a feeling that there will be a few mysteries, large or small that we will never have answers for. Just my own little prediction.

I actually like this so much. Makes sense especially when you consider the Ninepenny kings that swore under the Tree of Crowns. 

Here's another little mystery that may not be answered...Who is Satin? He was born in a brothel, but apparently a high class brothel....and a whore could drink moon tea if they didn't want a baby...so someone wanted him.

(a bastard of Oberyn that he didn't know about, or an Archmaester bastard , or maybe a Hightower bastard?)

7 minutes ago, Pain killer Jane said:

I actually like this so much. Makes sense especially when you consider the Ninepenny kings that swore under the Tree of Crowns. 

Oh, I never knew about that. Is that the meaning behind the tree? I wouldn't think it was, considering Pennytree predates the Ninepenny kings by quite a while.

3 hours ago, YOVMO said:

Where is Richard Lonmouth?

I thought there was a general consensus that Lem Yellowclock is actually Richard Lonmouth due to the imaginary associated with him. 

3 hours ago, YOVMO said:

(Ok, the last one is kind of important because Jorah never had no valyrian steel sword)

Actually he did, Longclaw. Jeor Mormont gave up his seat to Jorah before Robert's Rebellion. Therefore when Jorah breached the wall he did it as Lord of Bear Island with the sword, Longclaw. After Jorah dishonored his house by selling slaves, he left Longclaw on Bear Island and his aunt Maege Mormont gave it to Jorah probably as a symbol of sending the sword to the Wall in place of Jorah and therefore regaining redemption. 

And I think the reason why no one remembers Jorah breaching the wall is because Thoros of Myr did it first and remember he had a flaming sword when he did it and we know that a flaming sword is blinding per Stannis' red sword. This could be an allusion to Jorah's role when Dany comes to Westeros. And also an allusion when you think about it in this way; victory over the Iron men was achieved through a (fake) flaming red sword followed by long claw. 

8 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Oh, I never knew about that. Is that the meaning behind the tree? I wouldn't think it was, considering Pennytree predates the Ninepenny kings by quite a while.

We can't discount it without further analysis. Martin is very tricky with his descriptions. Penny trees are wishing trees. I did a quick search and there is a tree in Ireland whose wishing well filled up and then the tree next to it had water in it. I suppose they are similar to Hangin' Trees of Scotland. 

1 minute ago, Pain killer Jane said:

We can't discount it without further analysis. Martin is very tricky with his descriptions. Penny trees are wishing trees. I did a quick search and there is a tree in Ireland whose wishing well filled up and then the tree next to it had water in it. I suppose they are similar to Hangin' Trees of Scotland. 

I just meant that Ser Duncan the Tall originally squired for Ser Arlan of Penny Tree. Ser Duncan, and Ser Arlan were around long before the Nine Penny Kings.

Archived