Which Non-Plot Changing Mystery Are You Most Interested In?

Maxxine

3 hours ago, Maxxine said:

I would bet a significant amount of money it was Tywin. Lol. Just makes too much sense not to be. 

Not to mention he's the only option that makes sense. None of Aerys's other hands had the job long enough to have the tunnel built, except maybe Merryweather who was an old man. 

21 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

I just meant that Ser Duncan the Tall originally squired for Ser Arlan of Penny Tree. Ser Duncan, and Ser Arlan were around long before the Nine Penny Kings.

Nice I didn't even think of Ser Arlan. 

What's the story behind the Payne heraldry?

The details of Eddard's plans for the Gift and the Iron Isles. 

How did Olenna's husband really die? 

How legitimate is Jalabar's claim? 

What exactly happened to the Nansons other than Hodor. 

Where left and right come from. 

Who's Sandor's mom. 

What the hell is Biter?

What really happened with Patchface? Did he actually encounter underwater life or was it all in his head. Or even an afterlife?

What goes on in the heads of undead such as Catelyn that aren't animated by the Others. Is she the same person, with changed beliefs after death, or it's the Red God's magic animating the body similar to what happens in Stephen King's novel Pet Cemetary;

Spoiler

the corpses buried in a certain burial ground were possessed by a Wendigo. The actual person/animal was gone all along.

What made all the people in that Sothoryos village disappear without a trace?

1 hour ago, Balerion's Whiskers said:

Here's another little mystery that may not be answered...Who is Satin? He was born in a brothel, but apparently a high class brothel....and a whore could drink moon tea if they didn't want a baby...so someone wanted him.

(a bastard of Oberyn that he didn't know about, or an Archmaester bastard , or maybe a Hightower bastard?)

Just to say hi!

Also great point about Satin, this never came to my mind. I go with Oberyn, he even looks like Oberyn a little (certainly more than Obara, Sarella or Tyene), he is smart and fearless... Maybe, maybe.

Well, you all mentioned Weasel, Mad Mouse, Tyrek, Tysha (Sailors wife I think), but I am for some reason curious about Allar Deem, he isnt seen in series, but is mentioned quite a lot, what if he escaped somehow? I also wish to know what changes did Rhaegar wish to make? What exactly happened at Hardhome (both historic and present even)? Was Tywin poisoned and who did it? Why did Tywin hire Brave Companions and not Golden Company? What happened to Tyroshi sellswords after Battle of the Camps? I would also like to know more about Willas-Oberyn relations.

1 hour ago, Pain killer Jane said:

I thought there was a general consensus that Lem Yellowclock is actually Richard Lonmouth due to the imaginary associated with him. 

This I agree with but I want to see it happen and see what, if any, consequences it has.

1 hour ago, Pain killer Jane said:

Actually he did, Longclaw. Jeor Mormont gave up his seat to Jorah before Robert's Rebellion. Therefore when Jorah breached the wall he did it as Lord of Bear Island with the sword, Longclaw. After Jorah dishonored his house by selling slaves, he left Longclaw on Bear Island and his aunt Maege Mormont gave it to Jorah probably as a symbol of sending the sword to the Wall in place of Jorah and therefore regaining redemption. 

And I think the reason why no one remembers Jorah breaching the wall is because Thoros of Myr did it first and remember he had a flaming sword when he did it and we know that a flaming sword is blinding per Stannis' red sword. This could be an allusion to Jorah's role when Dany comes to Westeros. And also an allusion when you think about it in this way; victory over the Iron men was achieved through a (fake) flaming red sword followed by long claw. 

I know this is the story, but I refuse to believe that there is a Mormont family sword. I believe it to be a lie.

59 minutes ago, MinotaurWarrior said:

What's the story behind the Payne heraldry?

The details of Eddard's plans for the Gift and the Iron Isles. 

How did Olenna's husband really die? 

How legitimate is Jalabar's claim? 

What exactly happened to the Nansons other than Hodor. 

Where left and right come from. 

Who's Sandor's mom. 

What the hell is Biter?

Are you talking about the Redwyne twins?

55 minutes ago, house of dayne said:

Who castrated varys and why..what was the voice he heard and what did it say..i doubt its relevant to the main plots but it makes me wonder...

This is one I really want to know too, but I think it is plot changing.

3 minutes ago, bent branch said:

Are you talking about the Redwyne twins?

This is one I really want to know too, but I think it is plot changing.

I mean the contemporary Arryk and Erryk, Olenna Tyrrell nee Redwyne's bodyguards, and specifically where they get their freakish height.

Also, I'm with you on the cock loving shadow that took Varys' manhood. I'm eagerly anticipating the effects that's going to have on our story. More will be revealed. 

46 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

I know this is the story, but I refuse to believe that there is a Mormont family sword. I believe it to be a lie.

I can see where you are coming from in terms of the fact how poor House Mormont is. We were told that House Lannister paid a lot of money for Brightroar and committed murder and treason for Ice to become Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper. Plus we also know from the Ironborn that Nightfall came to House Harlaw through the death of another person. And Red Rain was stolen in a raid from we suspect House Reyne. So Longclaw could have come to the possession of House Mormont through one of these methods. And so it could be any of the missing Valyrian steel swords with an unknown fate like Brightroar, Lamentation, Orphan Maker, Truth and Vigilance.

I like the idea of Vigilance being Longclaw. The sword belonged to House Hightower and was lost during Lord Ormund Hightower's death at the hands of Roddy the Ruin and his Winter Wolves. 

14 minutes ago, Pain killer Jane said:

I can see where you are coming from in terms of the fact how poor House Mormont is.

Thrice at least Lord Tywin had offered to buy Valyrian longswords from impoverished lesser houses, but his advances had always been firmly rebuffed. The little lordlings would gladly part with their daughters should a Lannister come asking, but they cherished their old family swords.

I dunno that House Mormont qualifies as impoverished, though maybe from a Lannister perspective they are. But that should establish that it's not unusual for poorer houses to have ancestral Valyrian Steel swords. They could have gotten them in battle, as gifts, or bought them before becoming impoverished. We know there are over two hundred such swords in the Seven Kingdoms. That's a lot. Clearly they're more prevalent than most people tend to imagine. Obviously some houses we've encountered have swords that just haven't come up yet.

1 hour ago, YOVMO said:

This is just ridiculous. If Mormont just pulled a Valyrian Steel sword out of nowhere to give to Jon people would wonder where it came from. 

56 minutes ago, Pain killer Jane said:

I can see where you are coming from in terms of the fact how poor House Mormont is. We were told that House Lannister paid a lot of money for Brightroar and committed murder and treason for Ice to become Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper. Plus we also know from the Ironborn that Nightfall came to House Harlaw through the death of another person. And Red Rain was stolen in a raid from we suspect House Reyne. So Longclaw could have come to the possession of House Mormont through one of these methods. And so it could be any of the missing Valyrian steel swords with an unknown fate like Brightroar, Lamentation, Orphan Maker, Truth and Vigilance.

I like the idea of Vigilance being Longclaw. The sword belonged to House Hightower and was lost during Lord Ormund Hightower's death at the hands of Roddy the Ruin and his Winter Wolves. 

All that plus Mormont dates it to 500 years where Ice was only 400. And the whole "ok you saved my life here is my priceless family heirloom as a gift who cares if it destroys half a millennia of family tradition"

i like the the vigilance idea. Loads of spooky stuff going on with house Hightower. Is there a discriotion of that blade somewhere? 

16 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

i like the the vigilance idea. Loads of spooky stuff going on with house Hightower. Is there a discriotion of that blade somewhere? 

I don't know about the description. Maybe in The Princess and the Queen. And I agree with the suspicion of House Hightower. I mean they were at the center of conflicts with Aenys, Maegor and they engineered the Dance of Dragons. Not to mention their close association with the Citadel and their shady BS going on there. 

Who is Ser Mandon Moore and why did he want Tyrion dead?

Who has Davos Seaworth's finger bones, if anyone?

Why did Good Queen Alysanne build the Queenscrown?

Why did Barristan Selmy want to spare the life of Dontos Hollard?

Is the name "Craster" a variation on Stark? Similar to "Karstark" as a variation on Stark?

Does GRRM eat three hard-boiled eggs for breakfast, with a side of dried plums?

Will Jeyne Farman ever come forward to confront Cersei about what she did to Melara Hetherspoon?

Is anyone working toward revenge for the Tarbek and Reyne families?

Who is brynden blackwood?..besides being lord tytos s son and heir of house blackwood, itself an enigma wrapped in a riddle, nothing is known of him..lucas blackwood is killed at the red wedding, hoster is taken hostage by jamie after tytos bent the knee..but no mention of brynden blackwood the oldest son..dont even know how old he is..blackwoods are deeply mysterious but it seems strange that no one seems to notice that brynden seems to be absent..

Archived