Who do you consider the "main characters"?

Aenarion

16 hours ago, INCBlackbird said:

I'm pretty sure that the big 6 are Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Bran, Arya and Sansa. However Jon is "THE song of ice and fire" so I'd say he's the absolute main character. I think you could also say that all characters with their own pov chapters are main characters as they all have their own arc that they stand in the middle off. So I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

stop giving Jon Snow importance he doesn't have, except Daenerys all characters is expendable

3 hours ago, blckp said:

stop giving Jon Snow importance he doesn't have, except Daenerys all characters is expendable

Perhaps you feel that way, I don't. And I mean... part of the prophecy of the prince that was promised is "his is the song of ice and fire" plus, Jon is half targaryan half stark. He's the song of ice and fire. Maybe it has more meanings than one but I still think that must be one of them.

4 hours ago, blckp said:

GRRM is that you? :eek:

Perhaps you feel that way, I don't. And I mean... part of the prophecy of the prince that was promised is "his is the song of ice and fire" plus, Jon is half targaryan half stark. He's the song of ice and fire. Maybe it has more meanings than one but I still think that must be one of them.

In Jon's case he is literally 50% Ice and 50% Fire.

On 3/10/2016 at 7:22 PM, Risto said:

Well, it doesn't work like that. Sometimes, there is one main character, sometimes there are 2,4,5,10. GRRM's story is oriented towards these 6 characters grwing up and reshaping the world around them. How one can include Arya and not Sansa (or vice versa, as for that matter) is enigma for me. Bran has the least number of chapters of all 6, that doesn't mean his role is less significant than Jon's or Tyrion's. Simply, this has always been story about those 6. Not Ned or Catelyn, or any other member of that generation, but of these 6 people who in variety of different ways face terrible reality.

I understand it and agree with you with almost everything. I don't believe that either Sansa, Tyrion or Arya will not have as important role as Jon, Bran or even Dany at the end.

7 hours ago, INCBlackbird said:

I'm pretty sure that the big 6 are Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Bran, Arya and Sansa. However Jon is "THE song of ice and fire" so I'd say he's the absolute main character. I think you could also say that all characters with their own pov chapters are main characters as they all have their own arc that they stand in the middle off. So I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

i disagree with you.  Daenerys Targaryen is the main character in the story.  Followed by Tyrion Lannister.  Jon Snow comes in at third.  It is a mistake to think what's happening at the north is the most important part of the plot.  What is happening in Essos is just as important: millions of slaves gaining freedom.  The story is about a princess in exile coming back to reclaim what is rightfully hers. 

23 hours ago, INCBlackbird said:

since when did starks become ice? we have 2 ice now? and ice fighting ice? lol

as GRRM said title a song of ice and fire refers Daenerys vs The others

11 hours ago, blckp said:

as GRRM said title a song of ice and fire refers Daenerys vs The others

Well in the books themselves in Dany's prophetic visions Rhaegs claims that "...his is the song of Ice and Fire", which makes it seems like it could certainly be a reference to an individual as well.

In addition, exclaiming all other characters are expendable is just laughably dumb. 

13 hours ago, blckp said:

as GRRM said title a song of ice and fire refers Daenerys vs The others\

I am not sure that he meant what you think that he meant.

18 hours ago, The Transporter said:

millions of slaves gaining freedom

Sure the story isn't about Ice Zombie apocalypse but about some slaves who have no impact it Planetos.

The story is about a princess in exile coming back to reclaim what is rightfully hers. 

BTW the Targs had already decided that a woman will never take the Throne especially since she has at least one nephews. If she takes what belongs to her nephews she becomes an usurper.

• 3 weeks later...

First you must concede the narrative is not over and there are enough pages left for significant development, and GRRM has a penchant for red herrings and killing likable characters. Arguing Dany, Jon or anyone else as immune to demise is dubious. That said, the characters intended to gain maximum reader sympathy are: Dany, Tyrion, Jon and the Stark children. The safest one seems to be Dany, followed IMO by Arya and Bran. Tyrion's kinslaying makes me think he may not survive. There is another sense of "main character" in that their decisions and machinations have significant consequences in the story. In this category, you can't ignore the shrewdness of Varys, Tywin, Baelish, nor the incompetence of Ned/Robb and Cersei/Joffrey. 

The main characters seem to me are those whos personalities, internal struggles and personal journeys are as important in their chapters as the events surrounding them, if not more. Those characters are Arya, Jon, Tyrion, Daenerys, Bran, Jaime and Theon. Although my gut feeling tells me that Sansa also belongs to the 'main characters' group while Theon doesn't. Jaime is kinda a wild card - ultimately irrelevant to the overall plot for now but GRRM had spend so much effort and page time in developing his character in spite of this that I feel that he has some big plans for him.

On October 1, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Aenarion said:

Today I read something about how GRRM refers to some characters as part of a "Big Six" (a.k.a. the six main characters). 

Just curious: 
a) Who they are? 
b ) Do you agree? 

For me, Jon, Dany, Tyrion, and Arya are definitely main characters. Beyond that, I'm not quite sure. I know that some will be very important despite not being main characters (Aegon, Samwell, Littlefinger), but I'm not sure who else I'd call main characters. 

Big 6? I have to say Patchface, Jinglebell, Hodor, Hot Pie, Moon Boy and Dolorous Edd. Really don't see any possible argument to the contrary.

1 hour ago, YOVMO said:

Big 6? I have to say Patchface, Jinglebell, Hodor, Hot Pie, Moon Boy and Dolorous Edd. Really don't see any possible argument to the contrary.

Ya know what? I totally agree with you. These are the ones telling the characters in the story what's-what and who's-who, yet they are ignored by all around them or dismissed as just silly. Especially Edd... I mean, he tells Jon it is too cold and it hurts to breathe, and this is going to end badly, but noooo, Jon has to be the Big LC on the I.C.E.

In the end, these are going to be the only ones left. :cheers:

To the OP, aside from the accurate list by YOVMO, I would say...

Jon

Danaerys

Bran

Jaime

Arya

Tyrion/Sansa. I can't be sure on this one because Sansa was developed into the sixth of the big six, so I take that as GRRM has plans for her.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ya know what? I totally agree with you. These are the ones telling the characters in the story what's-what and who's-who, yet they are ignored by all around them or dismissed as just silly. Especially Edd... I mean, he tells Jon it is too cold and it hurts to breathe, and this is going to end badly, but noooo, Jon has to be the Big LC on the I.C.E.

In the end, these are going to be the only ones left. :cheers:

To the OP, aside from the accurate list by YOVMO, I would say...

Jon

Danaerys

Bran

Jaime

Arya

Tyrion/Sansa. I can't be sure on this one because Sansa was developed into the sixth of the big six, so I take that as GRRM has plans for her.

I agree with you both on just how correct I am and wrt the actual list. There is one exception: I think bloodraven finds his way into this list and Dany is a red herring 

1 minute ago, YOVMO said:

I agree with you both on just how correct I am and wrt the actual list. There is one exception: I think bloodraven finds his way into this list and Dany is a red herring 

I can totally accept this. Absolutely. GRRM didn't even want dragons in the story when he first set to writing it. Mulchmen is where it's at!

11 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I can totally accept this. Absolutely. GRRM didn't even want dragons in the story when he first set to writing it. Mulchmen is where it's at!

We're mulch! We're Mulch! We come from Mulch We're going to Mulch! We're Mulch! 

(Seriously, if someone gets the reference I'll be in love)

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It's amazing how someone who knows so much about the world and GRrm..can't remember  this one fact..

That GRRm originally intended targs to have a power of wielding Fire magically like in avatar air bender movies ..but changed that into dragons..

So the point is Targs and dany especially is always meant to wield an important power only that it was changed to dragons. 

On 28. 10. 2016 at 11:26 PM, Dofs said:

The main characters seem to me are those whos personalities, internal struggles and personal journeys are as important in their chapters as the events surrounding them, if not more.

This most of all.

As a less important I would add connections between more important characters. For example Jon has a very specific and likely plot relevant connection to Daenery, Tyrion and all the Starks, but the ties between Daenerys or Tyrion and Stark children are generally less important. Which makes Jon a more central character in my book.

Archived