NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

2 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

Actually, they're clearly only referring to Burfict's getting in his face and talking/yelling back.  You're creating a strawman by extending that to the actual stomp and low hit.  It's a dumb strawman, and could never stand up to your superior intellect, but it's not what the actual argument is. 

Exactly.

3 hours ago, Rockroi said:

This cannot possibly be a compliment and is, in fact, an indictment of what is wrong with the Bengals.  

Gronk's behavior is goofy and yes designed to antagonize.  Burfict's behavior is designed to injure and endanger people outside of the game itself.  

When you dragged Gronk into this it was (at least to me anyway) an attempt by you to justify Burfict's gross behavior.  You said, "If Gronkowski is taunting a player who's on the ground either hurt or tired, as he did twice, Burfict is going to get in between them because that's his job. I don't hold that against him."  And that's fine, but how did he do it?  Oh, that's right., he stepped on LaGarrett Blunt's hand.  

And that's the false equivalency- trying to justify what Burfict does by pointing at Gronk and then saying "He was taunting a player."  That's no excuse for what Burfict does.  Burfict does not just shout and yell and stand up to guys; he steps on them and goes for their knees.  

In and of itself that's not bad, but Burfict is incapable of just leading because- as I said up-thread - his brand of leadership is endangering people, taking cheap shots and being an habitual offender of the safety of the other players outside the bounds of the game.  

There is a huge problem there because the coaching staff allows this to go on.  And on. And on.  And they are- by their own inaction - powerless to now stop it because Burfict is the leader of that defense.  Its both an indictment of Burfict for being an unhinged person and the problem of the Bengals for not roping it in sooner.  

Seriously Rock, you're really pissing me off. Either read my posts, read the context of everything that was said or don't talk because you're drawing a comparison that was never discussed or insinuated in any of the posts here. I didn't compare Gronk to Burfict. I didn't say Gronk was a reason for Burfict. Hell, I stopped defending Burfict's dirty play the minute I saw the stomp and the Cowboys play. All I did was make a comment directed to dbhunting who commented on Burfict getting in the middle of a shouting match which involved Gronk. I didn't criticize Gronk. I didn't make an false equivalency to Gronk's actions vs Burfict. I didn't do any of that. You're the one who's trying to make an argument about a discussion that DOES NOT EXIST! Trying reading my actual posts instead of taking a line out of them and drawing a strawman to a discussion you want to talk about.

As for Burfict being a leader, you're focusing on one aspect of his game that involves 4-5 actions over the course of the season, only one of which has actually lead to anyone being injured (and we see defenseless receiver hits all the time like say the 2 from Mike Mitchell on Green/Eifert that knocked them both out of the playoff games) and ignoring well, pretty much everything else that is involved in football. You aren't talking about practice. You aren't talking about the meeting rooms. You aren't talking about game planning. You aren't talking about in game play calling. You aren't talking about in game defensive adjustments. You aren't talking about getting players in the right spots. You aren't talking about firing up defensive players and inspiring them to play better. Burfict does all of that. You wouldn't know because you know jack shit about him except the handful of dirty plays you've seen on repeat on TV. And that's fine. There is a narrative out there and he legitimizes it with his actions. But don't go on a tirade telling me about leadership and what Burfict means to this team.

You want to criticize the Bengals for having him on the team? Fine. Do that. You want to criticize the NFL for allowing Burfict in the league? Sure go ahead. But understand that the reason he's still on the team is because for every shitty act he does over the course of a season, he does a 1,000 great ones and they will continue to believe in him enough that hopefully he can change his in game mentality because in their mind, they see the real Vontaze Burfict; the one they see every day in practice, the player who's the first in the building and last to leave, the one who watches more tape than anyone, the one who spends time with the young guys getting them up to speed and helping them learn the ins and outs of playing defense in the NFL. You know fuck all about that because you don't care. It doesn't fit into your narrative that he's a cancer for the NFL, a cancer for the Bengals and the worst human being alive. And that's fine. But please, save your preaching to me for another time because your ignorance and myopic viewpoint is driving me up the wall, especially when you do all that you can to catch me with a strawman for a second time in a single day.

ETA: Some articles on Burfict. I don't expect you to read them but maybe someone else will want to.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/life-on-the-edge/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000716027/article/the-maturation-of-vontaze-burfict-under-coach-marvin-lewis

1 hour ago, Sivin said:

Gasp! My crap computer has allowed me to connect! 

Because I don't have any friends and am actively avoiding my family this weekend I thought I'd ask if any of the old timers I used to know would like to go see the Titans-Colts game with me this weekend. 

A couple disclaimers:

-I would not look good as a lamp.

-If I didn't know you back when I was an active member I don't want to know you at this particular time.

-I haven't really been keeping up with the league in about 2 years, expect my football conversation to suffer.

-I am poor company. 

-I'm not offering a free ticket, but I am willing to absorb part of the cost.

-I can't stress enough how bad a lamp I'd make. 

I know Bones lives in the general area these days, but I haven't seen him active in some time and I don't remember where any of you guys are from so I didn't want to start sending out random PM's.

Welcome back my Padawan :) I will be watching from Auckland...

25 minutes ago, sperry said:

I always love picking which NFL players would undoubtedly be in prison but for being good at football. Burfict is very high on that list.

Except he's never done anything off the field but sure, that seems appropriate. Maybe if he stuck in the horrible neighborhood he grew up in where his close friend was stabbed 13 times by gang members...

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Mexal, are you the Summerhall Slavers in the B league?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Except he's never done anything off the field but sure, that seems appropriate. Maybe if he stuck in the horrible neighborhood he grew up in where his close friend was stabbed 13 times by gang members...

Yes.

The dude routinely violently lashes out on the football field. You don't just turn that switch off in life.

35 minutes ago, trickster said:

Welcome back my Padawan :) I will be watching from Auckland...

Dude, I'm sure United offers an Auckland to Indianapolis direct flight. The plane will be packed with nothing but NZ based Colts fans waving "AFC Finalist" banners. You'll land. 3-4 of you will be immediately recruited by Ryan Grigson to play O-line in a pinch. One of you will get a 6 year $70m contract. And the rest will get invited to Andrew Luck's house to play Settlers of Catan. And then you fly home. It's guaranteed to be a magical trip all around and a refreshing change from the oppressive amount of natural beauty you deal with daily down there. 

Just now, Mexal said:

Maybe but so far, that's exactly what he has done.

Dude is a turd. He's a turd that plays some solid football for your favorite team so you're going to defend him, but let's not pretend it's anything other than that.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Dude is a turd. He's a turd that plays some solid football for your favorite team so you're going to defend him, but let's not pretend it's anything other than that.

That's fine but what I say is backed up by actual facts. What you're saying is backed up by opinion. Being a turd doesn't mean he's going to be in jail.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Maybe but so far, that's exactly what he has done.

This is what makes what he does on the field all the more mind boggling to me. He can apparently keep himself out of trouble off the field despite how he grew up, yet cannot keep himself under control while on it, so I don't think his upbringing can be used to explain his dirty ways imo.

34 minutes ago, Mexal said:

That's fine but what I say is backed up by actual facts. What you're saying is backed up by opinion. Being a turd doesn't mean he's going to be in jail.

And I thought Manziel was a hard worker who liked to play hard in his off time (like Gronk), and didn't dabble in anything worse than normal college partying, because I lived in one of his more frequent party locations and never saw anything else and took the word of staff (not coaches, friends in the athletic department who have dished dirt on players). Couple that with a bit of head in the sand and it's amazing what gets hidden/brushed under the rug sometimes.  

1 hour ago, Wrl6199 said:

new Zealand huh. interesting.

Yep...Middle Earth Baby!

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hey @trickster, did you forget that you're in the pickem' league? You're currently posting an impressive 0-78.

:P

I kind of did :blushing: Anyways..I did not really follow football this off season...So I could be 0-78 even if I tried. Just getting back into football shape.

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Dude, I'm sure United offers an Auckland to Indianapolis direct flight. The plane will be packed with nothing but NZ based Colts fans waving "AFC Finalist" banners. You'll land. 3-4 of you will be immediately recruited by Ryan Grigson to play O-line in a pinch. One of you will get a 6 year $70m contract. And the rest will get invited to Andrew Luck's house to play Settlers of Catan. And then you fly home. It's guaranteed to be a magical trip all around and a refreshing change from the oppressive amount of natural beauty you deal with daily down there. 

:lmao: Well I as I told Tywin, I am getting into Football shape. But Jeebus...my Colts look depressing :( . You team seems to be doing great btw. 

Archived