College Football 2016 - Cracks in the Golden Dome

Rhom

Its rivalry week in college football, the old thread was past page 20, and Notre Dame is vacating two years worth of football victories due to academic misconduct.

Notre Dame has been ordered to vacate wins from 2012 and 2013 after a student athletic trainer committed academic misconduct on behalf of multiple football players. The program will appeal the punishment.

The NCAA announced its findings and the penalties on Tuesday. The trainer was found to be in violation of ethical conduct rules after committing misconduct by completing coursework for two student-athletes and providing impermissible academic benefits to six others. Another student athlete was found to have committed academic misconduct on his own.

Along with UNC Women's basketball, they have to be the dirtiest programs around...  :rolleyes: 

The NCAA makes me absolutely sick.  Nothing about anything they do has even the faintest hint of consistency.

15 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Notre Dame is going to fight back, and seems on the surface to have a pretty good case for appeal.  

I'm sure they will.  The obvious parallels just make one sick though.

Hard to get too worked up about this week's rankings.  If the playoffs were today, Ohio State would play Michigan... like what they're going to do this weekend.  Kind of underscores just how ridiculous this running sideshow is every week.

FSU seniors looking to be the first class ever to go undefeated against in state rivals Florida and Miami. I know these things go in cycles but it sure is fun owning these jerks of late.

More Jimbo to LSU rumors. I don't get why he'd want to leave with the young talent this team has, epecially in Francois, and that he's an established guy with a championship. Also throw in the fact that you'd have to face Bama every single year...no thanks. I don't know how true the rumors are but they seem to come up every year for whatever reason. 

And Dalvin Cook passed my favorite Seminole ever, Warrick Dunn, to become the all-time school rusher. Dude is just incredible and I hope he can stay healthy when he gets up to the NFL. I've seen a lot of Jamaal Charles comparisons which does seem to fit, but he also has a toughness I don't think Charles has. He's always fighting for the few extra yards instead of going out of bounds and just doesn't seem to mind the contact, but for his size it can obviously break him down rather quickly with the big boys in the NFL. He's still a home run threat on every carry though.

Rhom, everytime I see a UNC highlight it annoys me. It's still fucking incredible that they got away with that shit.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

FSU seniors looking to be the first class ever to go undefeated against in state rivals Florida and Miami. I know these things go in cycles but it sure is fun owning these jerks of late.

More Jimbo to LSU rumors. I don't get why he'd want to leave with the young talent this team has, epecially in Francois, and that he's an established guy with a championship. Also throw in the fact that you'd have to face Bama every single year...no thanks. I don't know how true the rumors are but they seem to come up every year for whatever reason. 

I don't know if its just wishful thinking from alums in the Bayou or not.  They are certainly in a bad situation if they don't keep Coach O.  Herman looks like he may use them and Houston as leverage against Texas.  You make a compelling argument to stay put with FSU.  If they whiff on both of them, what's out there for LSU?  They are a legit top program and I think its a better job than Texas all things considered; but how many guys turn you down before you become Tennessee?

Rhom, everytime I see a UNC highlight it annoys me. It's still fucking incredible that they got away with that shit.

The lesson here is that systemic academic fraud at the university level is okay because the school can conduct sham classes if they want... but one tutor doing too much for one student, throw the book at 'em!!!!!!

I don't have a dog in the fight really, but I think Fisher would have to be a moron to leave FSU for LSU.  

1. both blue blood programs

2. both can pay him handsomely

3. both are in recruiting hotbeds, but hard to beat the state of Florida for top recruit access

4. FSU's plays in the better ACC division (w/ Clemson)

5. despite #4, FSU's path to the playoff is still much easier than the SEC West

6. Much like Texas, expectations at LSU are sky-high.  Unreasonably high, in my opinion, considering the division LSU has to navigate.

LSU could have a deal in place with Tom Herman as soon as Saturday.   :stunned:

I know this thing is far from over, but Houston plays their last game today at noon.  LSU is still in interim mode and can act whenever they want.  Texas plays at 3:00.  Things are going to move fast.  Texas may have to make their (public) decision on Strong more quickly than they had planned.

So if LSU does land Herman, what's this mean for Texas?  They are a program that likes to act like they are the best in the land.  Everyone defers to them as if they have some sort of special mandate in the state of Texas to get all the recruits they like.  However, they can only claim four national titles which is just one more than Cornell can claim.  :lol:

So if you're Texas, you went through a debacle of a hiring process where you thought you were going to get Nick Saban or Jim Harbaugh or someone and wound up with Charlie Strong.  (Which I still think was a good hire at the time... and could still pan out.)  Presumably, you fire Strong to go after Tom Herman; but then you whiff on that... where does that leave you?  Who do you hire now?  You pretty much have to hire someone you know will say yes don't you?  You can't afford to be publicly turned down over and over again.

Its almost exactly what happened with Tennessee.  They moved on from a steady longtime coach in Phil Fulmer.  Wound up being turned down repeatedly and hired Vince Dooley's son who's only qualification was that he was Vince Dooley's son.  Then you fire him and wind up with Lane Kiffen and then get spurned for a bigger job.  Finally, you hire a coach who Kentucky had to opportunity to hire... but decided not to.

Is this what Texas is?

(Or of course, all this could be wrong, they could wind up with Herman anyways.)

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

LSU could have a deal in place with Tom Herman as soon as Saturday.   :stunned:

I know this thing is far from over, but Houston plays their last game today at noon.  LSU is still in interim mode and can act whenever they want.  Texas plays at 3:00.  Things are going to move fast.  Texas may have to make their (public) decision on Strong more quickly than they had planned.

So if LSU does land Herman, what's this mean for Texas?  They are a program that likes to act like they are the best in the land.  Everyone defers to them as if they have some sort of special mandate in the state of Texas to get all the recruits they like.  However, they can only claim four national titles which is just one more than Cornell can claim.  :lol:

So if you're Texas, you went through a debacle of a hiring process where you thought you were going to get Nick Saban or Jim Harbaugh or someone and wound up with Charlie Strong.  (Which I still think was a good hire at the time... and could still pan out.)  Presumably, you fire Strong to go after Tom Herman; but then you whiff on that... where does that leave you?  Who do you hire now?  You pretty much have to hire someone you know will say yes don't you?  You can't afford to be publicly turned down over and over again.

Its almost exactly what happened with Tennessee.  They moved on from a steady longtime coach in Phil Fulmer.  Wound up being turned down repeatedly and hired Vince Dooley's son who's only qualification was that he was Vince Dooley's son.  Then you fire him and wind up with Lane Kiffen and then get spurned for a bigger job.  Finally, you hire a coach who Kentucky had to opportunity to hire... but decided not to.

Is this what Texas is?

(Or of course, all this could be wrong, they could wind up with Herman anyways.)

As an OU fan, I just love Texas football. There is a systemic problem with that program that they'll never be able to recover from, and it's that a handful of rich boosters who want to meddle in things run the ship.  Meaning it will never be an attractive job to the very top candidates.  Texas should be the best job in the country. Period. The state is basically tied with Florida for producing the most talent of any state in the country. Unlike Florida, though, Texas is the only relevant program in the state. But the politics of the job will make it so that they never get the top candidates.

Herman will go to LSU, because it's almost as good of a job with none of the drama.  Really not sure what Texas will do, but they'll probably manage to screw it up whatever decision they make.

Washington looked pretty strong today @ Washington State.  They play either USC or Colorado depending on what happens tomorrow, but if they win that title game they seem likely to make the playoff.  Chris Peterson is good at this football thing.

Just got a push notification from ESPN that LSU will hold a press conference later today to announce the hiring of... Ed Orgeron?!!?  :stunned: 

Hey @Ferrum Aeternum!  Your boys had a future LSU coach on the sideline!  :lol: 

Congrats to Texas on the Tom Herman sweepstakes I suppose.  :rolleyes:  So take all my previous rantings and just forget them.   He's probably a better fit in the Big XII where defense is optional anyways. 

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Just got a push notification from ESPN that LSU will hold a press conference later today to announce the hiring of... Ed Orgeron?!!?  :stunned: 

Hey @Ferrum Aeternum!  Your boys had a future LSU coach on the sideline!  :lol: 

Congrats to Texas on the Tom Herman sweepstakes I suppose.  :rolleyes:  So take all my previous rantings and just forget them.   He's probably a better fit in the Big XII where defense is optional anyways. 

Lol, the SEC dodges ANOTHER bullet.  Once again, no offense will be played in the conference. It's like nobody is interested in ever beating Bama.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

Lol, the SEC dodges ANOTHER bullet.  Once again, no offense will be played in the conference. It's like nobody is interested in ever beating Bama.

c'mon, sperry...that statement is a little ludicrous.  herman is the one who dodged a bullet.  so, he takes his high octane shit to a conference that plays no defense and the sec is the one who dodged?!?  

more likely, he exercised sound judgement and kept his philosophy away from a situation that very nearly guarantees a real chance to be shut down week in and week out.

i'm sure his agent is very, very happy

Does Coach O feel bummed that it's so public that he was not the first choice, or is he like "Fuck yeah, I'm finally a head coach at freaking LSU?"

Does anyone have any theories on why exactly Charlie Strong did so poorly at Texas?  Did he not come in with pretty solid credentials?  I feel like UT should be so talented that you'd really have to fuck up to go around .500 there, but that's just about what Strong did.

Oregon State is going to have their best chance in a while to win the Civil War today, but I bet Oregon wins.  

Colorado can go to the Pac-12 title game if they can beat Utah today.  Quite a turnaround for that program.  I guess that great first half against Michigan earlier this year wasn't a fluke.

Just now, Triskan said:

Does Coach O feel bummed that it's so public that he was not the first choice, or is he like "Fuck yeah, I'm finally a head coach at freaking LSU?"

Does anyone have any theories on why exactly Charlie Strong did so poorly at Texas?  Did he not come in with pretty solid credentials?  I feel like UT should be so talented that you'd really have to fuck up to go around .500 there, but that's just about what Strong did.

Oregon State is going to have their best chance in a while to win the Civil War today, but I bet Oregon wins.  

Colorado can go to the Pac-12 title game if they can beat Utah today.  Quite a turnaround for that program.  I guess that great first half against Michigan earlier this year wasn't a fluke.

II dunno why taxes did so bad with charlie strong. maybe the team did bad on purse so that he could get fired. But jk maybe they just were a bad team. 

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

He's a 4 that just landed a 10. He damn well better be happy, second choice or not.

Archived