College Football 2016 - Cracks in the Golden Dome

Rhom

21 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

By what metric?  

Not sure what other peoples' standards are for a good team, but I'd probably say that Auburn, Florida, and LSU are good teams this year, maybe throw in A&M. They aren't the juggernauts of years past but still good football teams imo.

And the SEC has more teams with winning records than the Big 12 does...

4 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Not sure what other peoples' standards are for a good team, but I'd probably say that Auburn, Florida, and LSU are good teams this year, maybe throw in A&M. They aren't the juggernauts of years past but still good football teams imo.

I'd agree with those teams.

I picked a really good year to stop following football closely. Holy crap, Oregon. Apparently Oregon state ran the ball 21 times in a row to finish the game, and managed to score 2 TDs as a result. And the defense couldn't stop them. 

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

All I know today is that the fourth place team in the SEC East is better than the second place team in the ACC! :thumbsup: 

And the third place team in the ACC Atlantic is easily better than the first place team in the SEC East. :thumbsup:

I agree with sperry, we have to kick you entitled SEC fans down while we can...even know Bama is still gonna win it all. 

If Bama wins it all again it Will make me sick to my stomach. I wouldn't care if any other SEC team had a shot and win it. And if Coach O had LSU all year long they would probably be in the discussion. I don't think any BIGXII team will get in and if Washington doesn't win the Pac-12 we'll get two from the B1G....might get two anyway. And who would that leave out? You know the committe is hoping and praying that Washington loses so they can put tOSU in. And it wouldn't surprise me if they put them in over Washington as PAC-12 champ. I think we're going to 8 teams and sooner than most seem to think.

10 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Well, the Big XII is the worst power 5 conference by a mile this year, so that's not a great comparison.  SEC would be second worst.  14 teams and only one will finish with less than 4 losses.

Conference rankings would be 1. Big 10, 2. ACC, 3. Pac 12, 4. SEC, 5. Big 12.

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

All I know today is that the fourth place team in the SEC East is better than the second place team in the ACC! :thumbsup: 

Not cool, dude... not cool.  Probably just jealous that we have the Stoops brother that is capable of winning big games! ;) 

You can have the rest of the Stoops brothers if you'd like. 

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I picked a really good year to stop following football closely. Holy crap, Oregon. Apparently Oregon state ran the ball 21 times in a row to finish the game, and managed to score 2 TDs as a result. And the defense couldn't stop them. 

Any chance they bring Chip back? And who will be the new coach?  Helfrich has to go down as one of the all time worst coaching hires of all time. He took a ferrari, never changed the oil and pumped it full of regular unleaded and drove it until the engine fell off.

Also, who would have taken the preseason bet that Michigan State and Oregon would combine for 7 wins??? 

Back from Blacksburg after a thoroughly satisfying 52-10 smack down of the Wahoos.  Well, maybe not thoroughly satisfying...I would have liked to see us hang 70 on them, and keep them out of the endzone...but when you take your starters out halfway through the 3rd quarter, these things will happen.  Even their equipment truck had issues - http://virginiatech.247sports.com/Bolt/UVA-equipment-truck-gets-stuck-on-back-roads-after-blowout-loss-49312348/

I'm sure Clemson will open as a double digit favorite - and they should - but if my Hokies play like they did against UVa, Miami and UNC...look out.  I am on board with why the ACC Championship game was moved to Orlando, but I do wish a little bit we were making Clemson play in chilly Charlotte instead.  Will be interesting to see what the crowd is like...the first few years the ACCCG was held in Florida, it was a pretty mediocre crowd...Charlotte was definitely better in that regard.  I know Clemson winning and going to the CFP would be better for the conference as a whole...but oh well, I'm gonna have to root to spoil that. 

The ACC Coastal Division has been getting a lot of grief...but it's the only P5 division to have 5 teams with 8 wins or more.  A little bit frustrating that our 3 losses - Tenn, GT and Syracuse - were all to teams that I'm sure we'd be favored over today...but I think most VT fans at the beginning of the season would have taken a 9-3 record and an appearance in the ACCCG. 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Well, the Big XII is the worst power 5 conference by a mile this year, so that's not a great comparison.  SEC would be second worst.  14 teams and only one will finish with less than 4 losses.

Conference rankings would be 1. Big 10, 2. ACC, 3. Pac 12, 4. SEC, 5. Big 12.

Oh I know, just taking a dig...;)

1 hour ago, sperry said:

For the record, I'm mostly just pissed because OU is going to play a 4 loss SEC in a complete no win situation.  We win, and we beat a garbage 5 loss team.  We lose and its more SEC! SEC! SEC!

Eh, if they win Bedlam next week their probably in a New Years Six bowl so that won't be too bad. You're right though if they lose to OSU, it's just another game in an overinflated bowl game system. Outside of the CFP and NYS, there really isn't a whole lot to take away from playing in the Belk Bowl or the BBVA Compass Bowl, and schools often lose money in the process. What a system...

32 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Oh I know, just taking a dig...;)

Eh, if they win Bedlam next week their probably in a New Years Six bowl so that won't be too bad. You're right though if they lose to OSU, it's just another game in an overinflated bowl game system. Outside of the CFP and NYS, there really isn't a whole lot to take away from playing in the Belk Bowl or the BBVA Compass Bowl, and schools often lose money in the process. What a system...

I'm talking if they win. They'll actually get a bettter opponent if they lose.  If they win they play the SEC #2 in the Sugar Bowl.  And teh SEC #2 is someone out of 4 loss A&M, LSU, Auburn, or Florida.

13 hours ago, sperry said:

How about the fact that they aren't good teams?  Again.  Tell me which team in the SEC not named Alabama is a good team.

Just not worth arguing with the fans of a bottom feeder SEC program. You aren't going to find objectivity.

Wisconsin, a Big 10 championship competitor, struggled with the third place team in the SEC West (LSU) when LSU was at their absolute lowest point of the season in a game played just down the road from Wisconsin.  Clemson, a near playoff lock, struggled with Auburn was at their absolute lowest point of the season.  Florida State, the second best team in the ACC, struggled with the #7 team in the SEC West, only winning after Ole Miss achieved maximum meltdown status. Bama almost scored 50 in a half on USC (a top Pac 12 team) with a true freshman QB in his first game.

The SEC is having a down year, with almost every school in the conference starting a new QB.  They've still been competitive when they've played the top everywhere.  The West's OOC losses come to Wisconsin, Clemson, Florida State, BYU, and South Alabama, the last two of which are with a clear bottom tier team after losing their QB wizard to the Dallas Cowboys. If we remove the Mississippi schools (the non bowlers), the West's only 2 OOC losses come to top 15 teams by a combined 9 points, with both SEC teams clearly being down at that point in their schedules. 

Stack the SEC with any conference out there, #1 v #1, #2 v #2, etc, and the Big 10 is the only one that hangs this year (Big 10 might come out ahead. They're better at the top IMO, but the middle and bottom probably favors the SEC). 

8 minutes ago, sperry said:

I'm talking if they win. They'll actually get a bettter opponent if they lose.  If they win they play the SEC #2 in the Sugar Bowl.  And teh SEC #2 is someone out of 4 loss A&M, LSU, Auburn, or Florida.

Point taken, I didn't know that the Big 12 champ was locked in vs the SEC #2. Yeah you'll get a better game if you lose to OSU.

Seems like to would make more sense if they're sticking to a four team playoff to get rid of the automatic tie ins for the NYS bowl games and simply be able to matchup #5-#10 in the standings instead.

1 minute ago, Joe Pesci said:

Point taken, I didn't know that the Big 12 champ was locked in vs the SEC #2. Yeah you'll get a better game if you lose to OSU.

Seems like to would make more sense if they're sticking to a four team playoff to get rid of the automatic tie ins for the NYS bowl games and simply be able to matchup #5-#10 in the standings instead.

It's again a result of the Rose Bowl pissing in the punch bowl and demanding their new year's afternoon game and pac 12 vs. big 10 matchup. That arrangement cost everyone millions of dollars last year, when the CFP games got awful ratings because they were played on new year's eve so that the Rose Bowl could be on new years' day.

If Clemson and Washington win conf. Championship's does B1G champ get left out of playoff? Hell, Wisconsin is 6 in the AP and Penn St. 8. And the two teams ahead of them in the polls are gonna be setting at home watching them play for the conf. Championship.....I just don't like or even understand how the system is set up. At the very least, Michigan should be ranked lower than Wisconsin and PSU, amirite?

2 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

If Clemson and Washington win conf. Championship's does B1G champ get left out of playoff? Hell, Wisconsin is 6 in the AP and Penn St. 8. And the two teams ahead of them in the polls are gonna be setting at home watching them play for the conf. Championship.....I just don't like or even understand how the system is set up. At the very least, Michigan should be ranked lower than Wisconsin and PSU, amirite?

Michigan beat both of them head to head...

Archived