College Football 2016 - Cracks in the Golden Dome

Rhom

10 minutes ago, Switchback the Second said:

I'll be interested in whatever you find, because yeah.... that's all bullshit.  We're a founding member of the SEC.  We're not now, nor have we ever, been interested in getting out of the conference.  And yeah, some other schools may have wanted FSU at some point, but again UF is a founding member of the conference, and until just this October has had the most powerful AD in the country running things, FSU isn't coming into the conference to replace Florida. 

I guess I misremembered; I can't find anything mentioning it. Either that or it was just idle talk by some random sports dude. Sorry about that. My overall point of conference realignment and expansion still stands - we are seeing regular conference changes every single year, and we are almost certainly going to see more in the next year (the Big-12) and both the PAC and B1G have talked openly about bringing in more teams. Conference changes are going to happen, and if you incentivize them based on championship games you're going to get a system where you will get splintering. 

Okay. Clemson and Washington lose. Who gets final two spots? We know Bama and OSU are locks. Because, I feel it's a real possibility those two schools lose. V-Tech, and you don't know how much it pains me to say this, is capable with their fast, long D and their QB can take over a game when spirit moves him. I think Colorado is legit. Amuse me.

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Okay. Clemson and Washington lose. Who gets final two spots? We know Bama and OSU are locks. Because, I feel it's a real possibility those two schools lose. V-Tech, and you don't know how much it pains me to say this, is capable with their fast, long D and their QB can take over a game when spirit moves him. I think Colorado is legit. Amuse me.

Oklahoma if they win is probably in next, being the champion of the Big-12 and fairly competent, and one of the better teams with two losses. Then it's probably the winner of the Penn State/Wisconsin game, though it's possible Michigan goes in because Michigan beat both of them. 

17 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Oklahoma if they win is probably in next, being the champion of the Big-12 and fairly competent, and one of the better teams with two losses. Then it's probably the winner of the Penn State/Wisconsin game, though it's possible Michigan goes in because Michigan beat both of them. 

Unless Oklahoma completely crushes Ok St, I have a hard time seeing them jump from 9 to 4, considering the scenario that Colorado will have beaten Washington and whoever wins the Big 10 title will be ahead of them. That's a big jump for the committee to explain, but depends on how Bedlam plays out.

Though would the committee be willing to have 3 Big 10 teams in if Wash and Clemson lose? That's what might leave the door open for Colorado or Oklahoma.

Yeah, Oklahoma making it in at this point would require some embarrassing rankings manipulation on the part of the committee. All of the teams in front of Oklahoma play teams ranked higher than OK State. Of course, the committee has done exactly those unjustifiable rankings gymnastics in each of the two years of the committee's existence, so it's not as if we're without precedent.

Still, I would expect Bama-Ohio State-Colorado-Wisconsin/Penn State in that instance.

As an OU fan, I'm not too bummed out about not making the playoff. We really don't deserve it, plus we would be absolutely murdered by Bama. But what really sucks is we are going to be playing a 4 loss Auburn team in a complete no-win game.

20 minutes ago, sperry said:

As an OU fan, I'm not too bummed out about not making the playoff. We really don't deserve it, plus we would be absolutely murdered by Bama. But what really sucks is we are going to be playing a 4 loss Auburn team in a complete no-win game.

See, I think Oklahoma is playing some pretty good damn ball. And, I don't think Bama is as untouchable as everyone seems to think. I think if you get to their freshman QB and rattle him a bit, things could get a little rough for Bama. Your have to make them one dimensional, but I can see it happening. I think how you finish matters and OU is playing some of the best ball in the country.

1 minute ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

See, I think Oklahoma is playing some pretty good damn ball. And, I don't think Bama is as untouchable as everyone seems to think. I think if you get to their freshman QB and rattle him a bit, things could get a little rough for Bama. Your have to make them one dimensional, but I can see it happening. I think how you finish matters and OU is playing some of the best ball in the country.

I think this Bama team is the best since the '01/'02 Miami Hurricanes team. I think its easily Saban's best team yet.  And that freshman quarterback is miles ahead of the hacks he's thrown out there in the past. McIlroy, McArron, Sims, and that stiff from last year were just flat out mediocre college QBs. This kid has real talent.

4 hours ago, sperry said:

I think this Bama team is the best since the '01/'02 Miami Hurricanes team. I think its easily Saban's best team yet.  And that freshman quarterback is miles ahead of the hacks he's thrown out there in the past. McIlroy, McArron, Sims, and that stiff from last year were just flat out mediocre college QBs. This kid has real talent.

Oh, I agree on the ability of the kid. But, he's also untested with his back against the wall on a big stage. That's broken some of the best of em. If you're gonna beat Bama, you gotta get to the QB, and take him out of the equation. Hard part is, the guy got legs too.

I don't think there is any scenario where the committee puts in 3 teams from one conference.  It would be a huge mistake to do so.  A big part of the legitimacy of the 4 team playoff is that teams which might not "look" as good but have a solid record are given a chance against the best in the country.  There are plenty of times in college football the that consensus of who is really great gets turned on its head in the bowl games, like when Florida trounced #1 Ohio State, or in 2014 when #4 Ohio State won the NC. 

I'm not a fan of even having 2 teams from one conference unless there is a really compelling reason to think that each has a legit argument at being the best in the conference. 

I've never been so happy before a conference championship (Virginia Tech). Everything didn't go perfectly, but I was ready to be patient through more first year HC-ing bumps and a new offensive scheme than what actually happened. It's been a while since a season exceeded expectations. (I figured we'd be at 7-5 now, but we're 9-3. But I also thought that Notre Dame and UNC would be considerably better than they were).

A playoff with 5 conference autobids and 3 at large seems fair to me - what you need to do for a guaranteed spot is 100% clear and unambiguous, but a team that's obviously one of the best with one unlucky loss is less likely to be shut out. There will always be bubble teams no matter what, but this would create two potential paths.

so...i may be piling on. or beating a dead horse.  but, while it is fresh in my mind, how does the okie state conundrum sit with everyone.  i say, unequivocally, that if you don't count it as a W then you have to throw it out completely.  it was the worst call of the year and should be vilified as such.

with the current state of things, it reeks of an accepted view of the conference as a whole...kind of like the cowboys wouldn't be taken seriously even if that game ended as it should have.  where does outstanding spread offensive tendencies end and bend, bend break defensive tendencies begin? 

how does a guy have only 7 completions and over 200 yards?!?!  bend break break?

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

That most definitely wasn't helmet to helmet contact. Westbrook's head hit the ground after contact. You can even tell from the replay; he more or less keeps control of the ball until his head hits the ground.

His head whipped back like he'd been hit by a baseball bat.  It was helmet to helmet.

14 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

See, I love it. Bedlam has come to CF thread of ASOIAF!!!! It's saddeens me that we don't play Pitt right now, butt in the spirit of the rivalry that will resume in a few years.

Eat Shit Pitt!!!!!

I can always get behind shitting on Pitt!

22 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I can always get behind shitting on Pitt!

I miss that game so much. No matter the records of was always a game. And, we hated each other vehemently. Those games on the Friday after Thanksgiving, at night, at WVU. Some of the best ones I been to. Except 2007 when Rodriguez threw the game because he couldn't justify going to Michigan if we win a NC that year, or hell even played in it. YouTube that game if you ever have time. The asst coaches were screaming at him the entire 2nd half to throw the ball. A few times it looked as if they were going to fight with him. I know it a little conspiracy territory, but just watch the clips.

Archived