College Football 2016 - Cracks in the Golden Dome

Rhom

3 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Dude you do know most major programs are like that. There is no accountability at any of these places, but calling unknowing fans and boosters enablers is ridiculous. 

The difference would be that we actually have real evidence that they harbored child molesters. Most major programs might be like that - I hope they're not, but they might be - but we only have evidence that Penn State did it.

comgrats to Ohio state being rewarded for their bye and sliding in to the playoff on program reputation rather than succcess in 2016.

They also played really, really well this year. Compare Penn State's AFK OOC schedule to Ohio State's. Is there any win on Penn State's schedule that rivals the dominance that they had over Oklahoma? Heck, is there any team that had a better win than Ohio State did against Oklahoma? They did look shitty against MSU,  I'll grant you, and they did lose to Penn State on the road by 3 points in a weird-ass game, but otherwise they absolutely stomped their competition week in and out. 

Another way to put it is that because Michigan lost to Iowa Ohio State missed out on going to the championship. And you want to punish that?

For me, the real question is whether Washington should have gone in over Penn State.

very excited about the payout that auburn will receive for its bid in the sugar bowl.  excellent reward for a mostly mediocre season.  we head into bowl season as well as the latter stages of the recruiting process with some much needed momentum...i eagerly await reading all about how we are outmatched by oklahoma in the following days.

WDE!!!  :cheers:

the playoff participants feel about right to me, albeit slightly anti-climactic.  i do, however; feel a bit sad for the huskies.

ETA:  looks like penn state's reward is the current team that nobody wants to play USC west.  that is an incredibly tough out but if they were to do it...wow, that would be something else.

1 hour ago, D_P said:

very excited about the payout that auburn will receive for its bid in the sugar bowl.  excellent reward for a mostly mediocre season.  we head into bowl season as well as the latter stages of the recruiting process with some much needed momentum...i eagerly await reading all about how we are outmatched by oklahoma in the following days.

WDE!!!  :cheers:

the playoff participants feel about right to me, albeit slightly anti-climactic.  i do, however; feel a bit sad for the huskies.

ETA:  looks like penn state's reward is the current team that nobody wants to play USC west.  that is an incredibly tough out but if they were to do it...wow, that would be something else.

What if PSU knocks off USCw and tOSU wins the playoffs.

Think a few AP voters would vote them number 1?

Even though I've been impressed with Penn State I will be quite shocked if they beat USCw.  It is staggering how much they've changed throughout the course of this year once they changed QB's.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Oregon fired Helfrich given all the rumors that had been swirling, but it seems like a premature move to me.  Oregon did have a really crap year going 4-8 and having a bad Oregon State team run it down their throats in the finale.  But they were in a transition year with a very young and had three losses (Nebraska, Colorado, and Cal) that were a play away from going the other way.  And the freshman QB they brought in has a very high ceiling.  I think he has the potential to be the best Oregon QB ever after Mariota.  I wonder to what extent the decision was just a reaction to this year versus whether there were other signs that Helfrich wasn't a good head coach.

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The difference would be that we actually have real evidence that they harbored child molesters. Most major programs might be like that - I hope they're not, but they might be - but we only have evidence that Penn State did it.

When I said major programs, it was mainly in response to a statement about the fans and boosters. The fans and boosters at Penn State are not any different than those at other major programs. Fans and boosters at PSU did not create a culture that lacked accountability and let child molestation happen there. For that to be insinuated is frankly repulsive. But as for the lack of accountability at major programs, it's become increasingly obvious with the laundry list of football and basketball programs under investigation and that have been sanctioned that it is pretty common throughout. Obviously none of these are anywhere close to the horrid shit that happened with Sandusky, but lets not act like all these other major programs are squeaky clean.

23 hours ago, lokisnow said:

Yup a program having won sixty years ago or thirty years ago or three years ago is definitely one of the most important qualifications for the sport. If a team didn't win in the fifties how could any person ever be expected to take that team seriously in 2016? ;)

comgrats to Ohio state being rewarded for their bye and sliding in to the playoff on program reputation rather than succcess in 2016.

oklahoma should be ranked ahead of Michigan. 

Out of curiosity (mostly because I am a Michigan fan), why do you think Oklahoma should be ahead of Michigan? What stat or victory are you using to say this?

They have the same overall record, 10-2. OU's best wins are West Virginia #14  and Ok State #11.  Michigan has wins over Colorado #10, Wisconsin #8, and Penn St #5. They went on the road and took #2 OSU to double o.t. before losing. The same OSU that came to OU and put a beat down on them. So they beat down OU in Oklahoma, Michigan almost wins in Ohio, so head to head comparison of common opponent says Michigan is better?

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Out of curiosity (mostly because I am a Michigan fan), why do you think Oklahoma should be ahead of Michigan? What stat or victory are you using to say this?

They have the same overall record, 10-2. OU's best wins are West Virginia #14  and Ok State #11.  Michigan has wins over Colorado #10, Wisconsin #8, and Penn St #5. They went on the road and took #2 OSU to double o.t. before losing. The same OSU that came to OU and put a beat down on them. So they beat down OU in Oklahoma, Michigan almost wins in Ohio, so head to head comparison of common opponent says Michigan is better?

Eye-Test? How they are playing at the end of the year? These are are both reasons we have been giving in the past for one team over another. I think Oklahoma would put a stomping on Michigan.

@S John, I wonder, no I guarantee, that chip on Holgs shoulder has grown a little bit after these recent rankings. I will make myself clear. We don't play a cupcake OOC schedule, never have. I don't think were in any contention or should have been for a Powed 6 bowl, but as usual WVU gets hosed.

9 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

@S John, I wonder, no I guarantee, that chip on Holgs shoulder has grown a little bit after these recent rankings. I will make myself clear. We don't play a cupcake OOC schedule, never have. I don't think were in any contention or should have been for a Powed 6 bowl, but as usual WVU gets hosed.

A Backyard Brawl matchup would've made for an interesting bowl game. From Pitts end, they (I think the AD) said they barely had any conversations with the Russell Athletic Bowl committee, though I guess if a Florida based bowl game is going to choose between Pitt or Miami, it's going to be Miami every time.

32 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

A Backyard Brawl matchup would've made for an interesting bowl game. From Pitts end, they (I think the AD) said they barely had any conversations with the Russell Athletic Bowl committee, though I guess if a Florida based bowl game is going to choose between Pitt or Miami, it's going to be Miami every time.

I was thinking with a 10-2 record we might be gotten a bit better bowl. Oh well, honestly, we're used to this shit. You know who I was dying to play? V-Tech. I am so glad the we have both them and Pitt on our schedules in the near future. As much disdain as I have for them, I do respect their programs and if we win they will be considered quality win.

I Have quite a few Penn St. friends, and I am very upset with how they were left out. The one friend who is an Alum and has season tickets, seemed not to mind so much. Said he wasn't looking forward to being trounced by Bama, lol. Prediction: Bama doesn't win NC. I think they finally get punched in the mouth. As a former footbal player, albeit only H.S., I'd be fuming hearing all this talk about how Bama has already won, it's theirs to lose. I know when faced with similar situations in my playing days, it always brought out the best in me and my teammates. If I was Washington I'd have A HUGE chip on my shoulder ATM. They aren't even being taking seriously. I hope they kick their ass.

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I was thinking with a 10-2 record we might be gotten a bit better bowl. Oh well, honestly, we're used to this shit. You know who I was dying to play? V-Tech. I am so glad the we have both them and Pitt on our schedules in the near future. As much disdain as I have for them, I do respect their programs and if we win they will be considered quality win.

I Have quite a few Penn St. friends, and I am very upset with how they were left out. The one friend who is an Alum and has season tickets, seemed not to mind so much. Said he wasn't looking forward to being trounced by Bama, lol. Prediction: Bama doesn't win NC. I think they finally get punched in the mouth. As a former footbal player, albeit only H.S., I'd be fuming hearing all this talk about how Bama has already won, it's theirs to lose. I know when faced with similar situations in my playing days, it always brought out the best in me and my teammates. If I wa Washington is have A HUGE chip ion my shoulder ATM. They aren't even being taking seriously. I hope they kick their ass.

Yeah while I would've been happy to see PSU get in, I also think that Bama would lay a serious whooping on them. But the way USC is playing, I'm not so sure they are that much of a drop off opponent wise. The Rose Bowl should hopefully be a hell of a game with arguably the two hottest teams squaring off.

As for WVU, were they locked into the Russell Athletic Bowl as the Big 12's 3rd team by chance?

2 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Eye-Test? How they are playing at the end of the year? These are are both reasons we have been giving in the past for one team over another. I think Oklahoma would put a stomping on Michigan.

As a guy who doesn't have a dog in the fight, I would expect Michigan to beat OU 7/10 times if they played each other right now. Michigan is the better team between those two, and I don't think it's particularly close.  Eye test it's Michigan.  Paper resume is also Michigan.  OU could get hot and win 2 games and be the national champs.  Any team in the top 10-15 can.

But OU certainly isn't in the tier that I would expect to "put a stomping" on Michigan.  There's only 1 team in that tier.  

5 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

As a guy who doesn't have a dog in the fight, I would expect Michigan to beat OU 7/10 times if they played each other right now. Michigan is the better team between those two, and I don't think it's particularly close.  Eye test it's Michigan.  Paper resume is also Michigan.  OU could get hot and win 2 games and be the national champs.  Any team in the top 10-15 can.

But OU certainly isn't in the tier that I would expect to "put a stomping" on Michigan.  There's only 1 team in that tier.  

You have your opinion, I have mine and Skip Bayless has his. And we all have assholes. What makes your opinion better than mine? This team beat that team and that team played this team close? Bah. Football is about matchup. I don't care that Ohio St. best OU handily in the beginning of the season and Michigan played them close at the end of the year. OU would stomp Michigan and imho, Michigan is HIGHLY overrated. 

4 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

You have your opinion, I have mine and Skip Bayless has his. And we all have assholes. What makes your opinion better than mine? This team beat that team and that team played this team close? Bah. Football is about matchup. I don't care that Ohio St. best OU handily in the beginning of the season and Michigan played them close at the end of the year. OU would stomp Michigan and imho, Michigan is HIGHLY overrated. 

And your basis for this is...because you can capitalize things more? Seems legit imo

Here we are... 3 years into a system that I said would be an abysmal failure, and it is exactly that. The funny thing is that most of the "solutions" I hear into fixing it are making it bigger. If you think expanding to 8 teams will do anything but further accentuate the problems with this method of choosing a "champion", I'm going to say that you are wrong again. 

The NCAA was a fine product, and is now a laughingstock. I miss bowl games that meant something. I don't even watch them anymore. 

I gave my basis. OU got progressively better, Michigan did not. What else you need. I guess it differs from your opinion. Which I give two shits about. You just like hearing yourself speak, and how much more knowledgable you are about....everything. You have a hard on for me Kalbear? Because, no matter where or what I post on, there you are. The great Kalbear to dispense his knowledge, or rather useless, smartass remarks. Pathetic. I remember your article from when the Ducks was in the NC and how your dad took you to a game and from that day forward you would always be a Ducks fan and offer your undying support. At 4 -6, you just all of a sudden lose interest in the CF. But, yet, here you are gracing us with ever widening knowledge of the game, a game you never played in sure. 

36 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

Here we are... 3 years into a system that I said would be an abysmal failure, and it is exactly that. The funny thing is that most of the "solutions" I hear into fixing it are making it bigger. If you think expanding to 8 teams will do anything but further accentuate the problems with this method of choosing a "champion", I'm going to say that you are wrong again. 

The NCAA was a fine product, and is now a laughingstock. I miss bowl games that meant something. I don't even watch them anymore. 

How exactly did Bowl games mean something?  

Outside going full FCS and opening up the playoffs severely, massively changing the FBS's existing conference structure, there isn't a good solution for determining a champion.  An 8 team playoff at least gives you a ton of likelihood that you have the best team in there.  There are very, very few times that I think you can look back at and decide that the number 9 team in the country looked like the best team at the end of the year. Manziel's Aggies are the only ones that come to mind, losing by a combined 8 points to 2 top 15 teams and beating the eventual National Champions in their own house.   You might be able to pick a couple, but they are much rarer than a #5 team looking like they could be the best team out there.  Eight teams is the best solution to a bad situation.  Not sure how the previous system was supposed to be better?

The problem with the system is doing the weekly show where they release the rankings.

The committee has gotten it right all 4 years. Why it's been a mess is because they come out the prior weeks and say asinine things and then guarantee that they'll have to contradict some of those things.

Fwiw I have no problem with Ohio state getting in, I was just being contrarian and rooting for the scenario of Ohio state being shut out causing a 2017 switch to eight teams.

oklahoma should be ranked higher than Michigan for winning their conference.

the bowl system was and is the worst post season system possible to construct. A bunch of shitty meaningless games that almost all suck with truly awful matchups as a rule.

on top of this the level of corruption and vile behavior bts involved in the individual big bowls is truly reprehensible.

i would love to see the bowl system utterly eradicated and purged from the sport like the shit stained toilet paper it so clearly is.

Archived