Lily Valley

Hugo time! Hugo time! Roundup for 2017 Awards

91 posts in this topic

OK, the last of Analog/Asimov's readers' choice finalists novellas for me:

Analog:

The Soul Behind the Face — Adam-Troy Castro - October 2016

An ex-intelligence operative with a grudge against his former employers comes out of decades-long hiding to take his revenge. His first step is seeking out a former collegue on a commercial-minded planet.

I sorta liked it, but despite it's short length it felt too stretched out. And given the highly technological setting, the "tradecraft" employed by the protagonist and some other plot elements don't seem all that plausible or logical.

I am skipping the remaining 2 Analog novellas:

The Journeyman: Into the Great North Wood — Michael F. Flynn - June 2016

Progress Report — Rajnar Vajra - September 2016

for now, since the authors were enthusiastic participants of the Puppy slate during the 2015 Hugo debacle. Also, I have read Vajra's novelette that was slated back then - "Triple Sun"? and thought that it was very bad, and while I don't remember reading Flynn's novelette, which was part of the same same series as the current novella,  the reviews were pretty scathing for it as well. Too much to read, too little time.

Asimov's:

Einstein’s Shadow – Allen M. Steele - January 2016

In an alternative history scenario, where Gregor Strasser managed to off Hitler and become the Nazi leader rather than vice-versa, and some other things happened differently (but, unfortunately, not differently enough!) an American private detective has been hired to be Einstein's bodyguard during his emigration to US.

I liked this one - it was an entertaining adventure story with SF elements. Not deep or innovative in any way, but fun.

Choose Poison, Choose Life – Michael Blumlein - October/November 2016

A woman with the background of abuse and depression has to deal with her suicidal intentions via 2 imaginary(?) scenarios of being trapped on  desert islands, with hints of supernatural involvement.

Eh. Not my thing. To be fair, it is decently written.

Now, on to finish what I can in novelette and short story lengths from the Locus Reading List:

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2017/01/2016-locus-recommended-reading-list/

and Nebula Finalist list:

http://nebulas.sfwa.org/correction-sfwa-nebula-awards-ballot/

Fortunately, I have already heard almost everything that has an audio podcast from these lists and read some of it that hasn't.  

1 hour ago, Maia said:

Fortunately, I have already heard almost everything that has an audio podcast from these lists and read some of it that hasn't.  

For future reference, where's a good place to find out about podcasts of shorts?

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Contrarius+ said:

For future reference, where's a good place to find out about podcasts of shorts?

Contrarius+, most SF semi-prozines nowadays have free story podcasts for some of the  pieces that they publish in a given issue. I mostly listen to Uncanny (which also has poetry and well-done author interviews), Clarkesworld and Lightspeed podcasts, but Beneath Ceaseless Skies (their podcast, sadly, doesn't work on my phone for some reason), Strange Horizons, Apex Magazine, Nightmare and others have them also. 

I have tried to listen to novels as audio-books in the past, but it didn't work for me. Short fiction, however has been just the right length to enliven many dull, but necessary tasks and introduce me to new authors. A personal benefit of the Hugo kerfuffle a couple of years back, since that's what prompted me to look for short fiction, other than a very occasional anthology or a random read on tor.com.

Anyway, depending on your listening device, you can either directly download from and/or subscribe to the podcasts on iTunes, or , if you are on android, like I currently am, you can do so through a very nice free app called Podcast Republic (and/or through the Google store, i guess, but I didn't try it out personally).

Edited by Maia

2 hours ago, Maia said:

Contrarius+, most SF semi-prozines nowadays have free story podcasts for some of the  pieces that they publish in a given issue. I mostly listen to Uncanny (which also has poetry and well-done author interviews), Clarkesworld and Lightspeed podcasts, but Beneath Ceaseless Skies (their podcast, sadly, doesn't work on my phone for some reason), Strange Horizons, Apex Magazine, Nightmare and others have them also.

Thanks! I'm a huge audiobook addict, but I'm obviously behind the times on this. I'll do an iTunes search!

On 06/03/2017 at 11:57 AM, Maia said:

Novelette-wise I loved these 2:

“Touring with the Alien”, Carolyn Ives Gilman (Clarkesworld 4/16)

You’ll Surely Drown Here If You Stay”, Alyssa Wong (Uncanny 5-6/16)

I'm belatedly attempting to read a bit of eligible short fiction. I thought both of these were good. Touring With The Alien initially reminded me a bit of Arrival/The Story Of Your Life, it's got a different take on the alien first contact story but one with some interesting ideas. Alyssa Wong's story wasn't always easy to follow, but had some memorable descriptions.

11 hours ago, mormont said:

Interesting.

The big question is who the participants were, we have a few weeks to wait until we find out if Vox Day has managed to highjack the nominations again.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh I'm sure he has, the question is to what extent.

He was only pushing one nomination per category this year, so even if all of his choices get on the final ballots, there will still be lots of good stuff to pick from.

Is Library at Mount Char not eligible? Thought that one was fantastic. Also agree on Too Like The Lightning. 

20 minutes ago, unJon said:

Is Library at Mount Char not eligible? Thought that one was fantastic. Also agree on Too Like The Lightning. 

I think that was only eligible last year.