U.S. Politics: Courting Trump

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Interesting new polling:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2017/02/americans-now-evenly-divided-on-impeaching-trump.html

Just some random stuff:

Now his approval rating is 43%, while his disapproval has gone all the way up to 53%. If voters could choose they'd rather have both Barack Obama (52/44) or Hillary Clinton (49/45) instead of Trump.

By a 48/43 spread, voters do think that the intent of the Executive Order is to be a Muslim ban. And just 22% support a Muslim ban, to 65% who are opposed. 

And in general only 37% of voters want the wall if US taxpayers have to front the cost for it, to 56% who are against that.

53% of voters say they trust Judges more to make the right decisions for the United States, to only 38% who trust Trump more. And only 25% of voters think Trump should be able to overturn decisions by Judges that he disagrees with, to 64% who don't think he should be able to do that. Trump voters have evidently had enough of the Constitution and those pesky checks and balances though- 51% of them think he should personally be able to overturn decisions he doesn't agree with, to only 33% who dissent.

Betsy DeVos may have been confirmed this week, but she made a horrible impression on the public. Only 27% of voters see her positively to 49% with a negative opinion of her. 

Only 47% of Trump voters know that Frederick Douglass is dead, compared to 78% of Clinton voters who know that. 

47% of voters now say they support the Affordable Care Act to only 39% who are opposed. It just keeps getting more popular. And only 32% think the best course of action to take on health care is repealing the ACA, while 65% would like Congress to keep it and just fix parts that need fixing

42 minutes ago, chairman lmao said:

looks like the administration will likely not appeal 9th circuit decision, and working to draft an new order to get around courts objections 

That's actually smarter than taking this to the SCOTUS but I'm surprised Trump would imply error by drafting a new order.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

What happened to SEE YOU IN COURT?

Oh, Trump may be working on new EO as a work around, but there's no way he's backing out of the scrap. The way things are currently trending for his Admin, the optics alone... The Judiciary can't be permitted to get away with checking his Executive authority. Nuh uh. Not happening. Even if only in principle, he's got to take this one to the mat.

I promise.

Just now, JEORDHl said:

Oh, Trump may be working on new EO as a work around, but there's no way he's backing out of the scrap. The way things are currently trending for his Admin, the optics alone... The Judiciary can't permitted to get away with checking his Executive authority. Nuh uh. Not happening. He's got to take this one to the mat even if only in principle. 

I promise.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. So why a redraft then? It's one or the other, right?

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, that was my thought as well. So why a redraft then? It's one or the other, right?

It's going back to District, where I expect the Washington AG and Noah Purcell will spank him silly on the merits. So, if Trump doesn't draft a new EO he's not going to see any forward movement on his Immigration promises for a few months, if not more. The Trump Admin needs this bad, honestly.

25 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

What happened to SEE YOU IN COURT?

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That's actually smarter than taking this to the SCOTUS but I'm surprised Trump would imply error by drafting a new order.

oh, trump may continue to rage and relitigate on twitter, but believe that bannon/miller et al are looking at this (shit the past three weeks) as a probe, figuring out where the lines are they can push against 

15 minutes ago, chairman lmao said:

oh, trump may continue to rage and relitigate on twitter, but believe that bannon/miller et al are looking at this (shit the past three weeks) as a probe, figuring out where the lines are they can push against 

Right, and that's the smart move. The chess player's deliberation. But how do they sell that to Trump? Seems to me he's going to see this as backing down.

12 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Right, and that's the smart move. The chess player's deliberation. But how do they sell that to Trump? Seems to me he's going to see this as backing down.

HE'S PLAYING 9th DIMENSIONAL CHESSGAMMON (JAKARTA RULES) you stinking plebs can't see the long game here!!!

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well, they've already backed down to some extent (e.g. permanent residents are not included).

However... this idea of a new executive order does bring up an amusing way for Trump to beat the courts without ever winning in court. As far as I can tell, there is no limitation on the number of executive orders a President can sign nor on the frequency at which he signs them. On the other hand, it takes time to file a lawsuit even if it is simply to get an emergency injunction. Thus, all Trump has to do is sign executive orders (each slightly and negligibly modified) faster than the courts can swat them down. It shouldn't be too difficult given that he's up at practically all hours of the day. :)

7 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Well, they've already backed down to some extent (e.g. permanent residents are not included).

However... this idea of a new executive order does bring up an amusing way for Trump to beat the courts without ever winning in court. As far as I can tell, there is no limitation on the number of executive orders a President can sign nor on the frequency at which he signs them. On the other hand, it takes time to file a lawsuit even if it is simply to get an emergency injunction. Thus, all Trump has to do is sign executive orders (each slightly and negligibly modified) faster than the courts can swat them down. It shouldn't be too difficult given that he's up at practically all hours of the day. :)

let me just 'circumvrent' you here...

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

'The Art of the Deal.'

Many people on this board are making the same mistake as Obama and the Democratic Party:

Putting what you want on the table.  That leads NOWHERE with business types.

Instead, they demand what they want, plus everything else they can think of.  Sure, they loose some points here and there.  But, what they usually get is everything they want, plus extras.

The equivalent is a old vehicle you are attempting to sell.  It's real value, based on condition, is about $1000.  It's also what you'll take, worst case. But that's NOT the price you slap on the 'For Sale' sign.  Instead, you put '$2000 OBO' on that sign.  Odds are you won't get a grand, but you have a pretty good shot of $12-1400.

All through the Obama years, and continuing into the present, the Democratic Party NEVER grasped this. Instead, they are the dupes who constantly put '$1000 OBO' on the sign and constantly made maybe $400. 

Trump and company, on the other hand, understand this point perfectly, and are very good at exploiting it. Now, take a look at Trumps recent actions with this worldview in mind.

Looks like the administration will likely not appeal 9th circuit decision, and working to draft an new order to get around courts objections 

Trump team plans a new executive order
Larger panel of appeals court could rehear case.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-9th-circuit-ruling-next-steps-234902

CIA freezes out top Flynn aide
The agency denied a security clearance for a key aide to the National Security Adviser — ratcheting up tensions between Flynn and the intel community.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/mike-flynn-nsa-aide-trump-234923

Deportation Raids Reportedly Ongoing Across U.S.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/02/10/ice_deportation_raids_of_undocumented_immigrants_reported_across_u_s.html

22 minutes ago, chairman lmao said:

awesome. next up; how to successfully negotiate the South China Sea problem using proven garage sale praxis — the similarities might surprise you! 

Rummage Sale Enthuthiasts Hate This One Simple Trick!  

Like I said:

Many people on this board are making the same mistake as Obama and the Democratic Party:

Putting what you want on the table.  That leads NOWHERE with business types.

Instead, they demand what they want, plus everything else they can think of.  Sure, they loose some points here and there.  But, what they usually get is everything they want, plus extras.

I consider the site dubious, but...

https://www.countable.us/articles/237-preliminary-impeachment-inquiry-filed-president-trump

A top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee has filed a "resolution of inquiry" into President Donald J. Trump. It can be considered a step toward the impeachment process because of the information sought in this case. The last time a resolution of inquiry was considered on the House floor was in 1995, against then-President Bill Clinton related to financial aid for Mexico.

Congressman Jerrold Nadler, (D-NY) filed the inquiry; Nadler is the second ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, which responds to such filings. He offered the following statement on his resolution:

"Donald Trump has refused to step away from his business interests in any meaningful way. His foreign entanglements are likely unconstitutional, he has repeatedly refused to disclose his financial assets, and he is clouded by the specter of Russian intervention in the election and his Administration.”

Archived