U.S. Politics: Courting Trump

Mr. Chatywin et al.

24 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

No, like not ever. It's a notoriously safe show. 

What are you talking about? It's mocked politicians mercilessly. Maybe not Obama as much,  but he was a hard target. Watch the episode where they do a skit about the Clintons leaving office. Or anything regarding bush. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Man, the Sarah Palin year was one of the best for SNL material.

Tina Fey was outstanding!  She nailed Palin's grifter ways so completely.  And lets not forget Chevy Chase bumbling around ala Gerald Ford and I can even remember them poking fun at Reagan.  Prez Orange Shit Thing wah wahing about SNL only ads to the hilarity.

Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets;

There’s already talk of impeachment, just three weeks into Donald Trump’s turbulent presidency. In fact, many are already betting on it.

Gambling houses all over the world are taking in action on whether Trump, inaugurated just last month, will resign or be impeached. And the odds aren’t as long as you might think.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-impeachment-bets-234931

5 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Vegas had Clinton as an 86% chance of being POTUS at 2pm EST on election day. I called my gambling friend and told him to place bets on trump when the odds startes fluctuating at 3pm. He won 5 grand.  The only good thing that happened that day. 

So yeah,  if I were a betting man I'd bet against impeachment. This dude isn't going down without brining the entire country down with him. 

Can someone with good knowledge of the ACA kindly explain what sections the Republicans are talking about when they say "when you are 74 you have to go before a death panel"? I mean, when congressmen tell their constituents this is absolutely true, what the hell are they talking about?

36 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Tina Fey was outstanding!  She nailed Palin's grifter ways so completely.  And lets not forget Chevy Chase bumbling around ala Gerald Ford and I can even remember them poking fun at Reagan.  Prez Orange Shit Thing wah wahing about SNL only ads to the hilarity.

Norm Macdonald went after Bill and Hillary mercilessly on Weekend Update throughout his tenure...

The Republican Party is caught in the Falaise Pocket and discovers it can't lie its way out of it. Meanwhile, it seems liberals and the reality based community, in general, continue to tighten the noose around The Party of Business. Hopefully, they will inflict maximum damage upon it as it tries to extricate itself out of the disaster it created for itself.

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/12/14588086/death-panel-town-hall

During the heated town halls of 2009, it was relatively common for angry constituents to speak out against the (non-existent) “death panels” in the Affordable Care Act.

That kind of rhetoric, however, might not fly in 2017.

At a Florida town hall on Saturday, a Republican official was quickly shouted down when he tried to argue that the health care law had a “death panel” that all Americans had to appear before when they turned 74.

Can someone with good knowledge of the ACA kindly explain what sections the Republicans are talking about when they say "when you are 74 you have to go before a death panel"? I mean, when congressmen tell their constituents this is absolutely true, what the hell are they talking about?

On July 16, Betsy McCaughey, the former lieutenant governor of New York and a conservative health care commentator, suggested that the Democratic plan included a measure requiring seniors be told how to end their lives. "Congress would make it mandatory — absolutely require — that every five years people in Medicare have a required counseling session that will tell them how to end their life sooner," she said on a radio show hosted by conservative Fred Thompson.

PolitiFact gave McCaughey a Pants on Fire rating for that statement. There were no mandatory sessions proposed. Instead, for the first time, Medicare would pay for doctors' appointments for patients to discuss living wills, health care directives and other end-of-life issues. The appointments were optional, and the AARP supported the measure. 
Nevertheless, Republican officials began amplifying McCaughey's comments.

House Republican Leader John Boehner issued a statement July 23 that said, "This provision may start us down a treacherous path toward government-encouraged euthanasia if enacted into law."

PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'Death panels'

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2009/dec/18/politifact-lie-year-death-panels/

7 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

The Republican Party is caught in the Falaise Pocket and discovers it can't lie its way out it. Meanwhile, it seems liberals and the reality based community, in general, continue to tighten the noose around The Party of Business. Hopefully, they will inflict maximum damage upon it as it tries to extricate itself out of the disaster it created for itself.

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/12/14588086/death-panel-town-hall

I love how he calls his own constituents children as some sort of insult when they show their displeasure at his outright lie.  

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

The death panel lie became a favorite of Sarah Palin's, 'cuz nothing makes a word salad great than a few references to death panels.  Excellent for fund raising too!  But don't worry liberals, Paul Ryan will starve your granny long before she has to appear before a death panel, because they are compassionate conservatives!    :rolleyes:

Words to ponder:

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/12/14591880/gop-lincoln-birthday

I am not a Know-Nothing. That is certain. How could I be? How can any one who abhors the oppression of negroes, be in favor or degrading classes of white people? Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes." When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty — to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy [sic].

Yes, I do not wish to interpret, “all men are created equal” as:

all men are created equal, except for African Americans, Latinos,Asians, women, LGBT people, non-Christians, etc. etc…..

Archived