U.S. Politics: Courting Trump

Mr. Chatywin et al.

The dire warnings are spread through an influential lobby, slick documentaries, and best-selling books with titles like The Truth About Muhammad: Founder of the World's Most Intolerant Religion. And now that fearful vision of Islam has found a home in the Trump White House.

Senior strategist Steve Bannon is a devotee of Gaffney’s ideas, as are National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, Attorney General Jeff Sessions, and CIA Director Mike Pompeo. Trump’s political adviser, Kellyanne Conway, has done polling for Gaffney designed to illustrate the scale of the threat Muslims pose to America. And Trump himself has said things that sound like they could have been ripped from counter-jihadist literature.

Trump’s counter-jihad
How the anti-Muslim fringe conquered the White House.

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/2/13/14559822/trump-islam-muslims-islamophobia-sharia

18 hours ago, Mexal said:

I didn't find it nearly as funny. Think they're going to take it too far.

I can't find it at the moment, but the Atlantic (I believe) had a nice article on how SNL has altered it's approach to political satire this year.  Particularly these last couple weeks with McCarthy playing Spicer...

I know I know, the President makes the rules in terms of classification and is the ultimate authority on security. But if you even once mentioned Hillary's emails and are not concerned that instead of going into a secure room, the President read and discussed classified communications about North Korea by cell phone flashlight at the dinner table, in a public dining room, with random waiters serving, then you're a partisan hypocrite.

As Mar-a-Lago's wealthy members looked on from their tables, and with a keyboard player crooning in the background, Trump and Abe's evening meal quickly morphed into a strategy session, the decision-making on full view to fellow diners, who described it in detail to CNN.

Trump's National Security Adviser Michael Flynn and chief strategist Steve Bannon left their seats to huddle closer to Trump as documents were produced and phone calls were placed to officials in Washington and Tokyo.

The patio was lit only with candles and moonlight, so aides used the camera lights on their phones to help the stone-faced Trump and Abe read through the documents. 

Even as a flurry of advisers and translators descended upon the table carrying papers and phones for their bosses to consult, dinner itself proceeded apace. Waiters cleared the wedge salads and brought along the main course as Trump and Abe continued consulting with aides.

8 hours ago, Altherion said:

I don't think this is a manner of being unable to acknowledge when he is wrong. He has, in fact, done that when it was warranted (see his reaction to the "locker room talk" tape).

This is such bullshit ffs!  His excuse of his disgusting behavior was because he made the specious claim that it really was AOK because it was the so called locker room talk.   Gullible GOPpers might have believed this was an admittance of wrong, but it wasn't then and it isn't now. Keep polishing that turd.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  I do not believe that is what Altherion said.

It's not what he said, no. It's the underlying assumption behind this and many of his recent posts on Trump, though, and it's at the root of Trump's current spat with the judiciary. Trump and his supporters seem to feel that the President's authority is or should be absolute. But, regardless of the formal reporting structures, Trump's not running a private business. Public servants owe a duty to the public, one that can supercede obedience to their boss. That's not a radical concept, or it shouldn't be.

I really hope nobody missed this:

20 hours ago, Mexal said:

Just in case there was any doubt on which way Trump is going to head in terms of his power...

I saw the highlights of everything he said yesterday and it was deeply troubling to say the least. And what is potentially even more troubling is that by all reports, Trump and his inner circle loved what he was saying.  

4 hours ago, butterbumps! said:

What about his multiple failures to promise he'd accept the election results if he lost?    What about his remarkable insistence that he actually won the popular by a landslide?  What about his incessant proclamations of voter fraud?     He might not be successful at it, but I couldn't say I'm super confident he wouldn't try to pull some ridiculous stunt in the event he lost.

How are you defining "establishment" vs "nation"?   He, and his administration, is pretty hostile to very large segments of the population, is working against the economic interests of pretty much everyone except "the elites," appears to be unable to separate "good for me" and "good for country," flagrantly abuses his position for personal gain, doesn't seem to read the EOs put in front of him, refuses security briefings, and needlessly compromises relations with foreign allies.   That, plus the issues Manhole mentioned (specifically undermining the judiciary branch), strikes me as kind of a hostile danger to the country.

It's the old right wing/Alex Jones definition:

Establishment: teachers unions, socials workers, public defenders, service unions, NASA, Climate scientists

Not Establishment: Joe Arpaio, Blackwater, Amway, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Exxon-Mobil

5 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Lol@Alex Jones being right wing

He calls himself paleoconservative and peddles in 9/11 trutherism, "New World Order" antisemitism and Moon Landing conspiracy theories. What do you want to call him, if not far-right (well, insane, but that's not a political position)?

8 minutes ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

He calls himself paleoconservative and peddles in 9/11 trutherism, "New World Order" antisemitism and Moon Landing conspiracy theories. What do you want to call him, if not far-right (well, insane, but that's not a political position)?

If I had to put a label on him, which I dont. I'd just say conspiracy guy or something of that nature. Certainly not right wing. 9/11 conspiracy people don't only come from right wing poltical people, far from it.(check out the Bush years, almost all 9/11 conspiracy people were labeled tin foil hat liberals) Neither do moon land hoax people. Alex Jones was actually arrested for questioning G.W.Bush during his presidency.

13 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

If I had to put a label on him, which I dont. I'd just say conspiracy guy or something of that nature. Certainly not right wing. 9/11 conspiracy people don't only come from right wing poltical people, far from it.(check out the Bush years, almost all 9/11 conspiracy people were labeled tin foil hat liberals) Neither do moon land hoax people. Alex Jones was actually arrested for questioning G.W.Bush during his presidency.

Lol, so now if you speak out against someone on a certain side, you are no longer part of that side?  

You're a special kind of special.  

6 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

He's definitely a part of the right wing. He's opposed (somewhat) to the classic neocon/libertarian Republicans, but when the chips were down, he'd attack the Democrats.

Attacking Democrats doesn't make you right wing. I do it all the time, I'm a part of no wing.

21 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Attacking Democrats doesn't make you right wing. I do it all the time, I'm a part of no wing.

I'm on my phone, so I don't have time for much more than one liners.

that's true that people who aren't right wing attack Democrats. Hell the left wing does. But the degree to which Alex Jones attacks Democrats, but not Republicans and to which his "new world order" seems to consist almost exclusively of democratic constituents, and the cultural favors make sit impossible in my mind to deny with any credibility that Alex Jones is right wing.

at the very least, he was firmly in the Trump camp.

2 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I'm on my phone, so I don't have time for much more than one liners.

that's true that people who aren't right wing attack Democrats. Hell the left wing does. But the degree to which Alex Jones attacks Democrats, but not Republicans and to which his "new world order" seems to consist almost exclusively of democratic constituents, and the cultural favors make sit impossible in my mind to deny with any credibility that Alex Jones is right wing.

at the very least, he was firmly in the Trump camp.

Nah, he includes Democrats and Republicans in his idea of the "establishment". When Bush was president people called him a flaming liberal, when Obama came people called him right wing.

Yes he's definately hard on for Trump though. I was surprised to see him sup port any president, he's never done that.

Archived