Rachel of Oldstones

Any actors you wish were part of the GoT cast?

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

As we all know GoT has had some top notch actors. Like, the real deal classically trained British actors. Who would you love to see join the cast before it's over?

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Brian Cox (mostly from a largely unknown series, The Devil's Crown, he played Henry II brilliantly!)

I can't decide which character he'd be a good fit as, but I'm planning to think on it. 

Who would you guys like to see? Which character would you like to see or have seen them play?

 

 

Edited by Rachel of Oldstones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i also like Brian Cox - i thought he'd make a great Marwyn.  not sure if they have cast that role or if they will but i always think Brian Cox when reading those chapters.

I also thought Peter O'Toole would make a fantastic Mad King - but sadly that'll never happen

You can guess i recently watched Troy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dominic West.  I could have seen him as Euron or Vicatarion (if Vic was on the show).  Could also see him as a memorable single-episode character like Ian McShane or Bridgette Hojoert-Sorensen were, really playing any role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Katheryn Winnick would have made a great Val

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord Greenhood said:

Katheryn Winnick would have made a great Val

Or a great Cersei. Hell, Katheryn Winnick could play a tree and I'd watch. 

Personally, I think Elizabeth Henstridge (Simmons in "Agents of Shield") could've been a kickass Margaery because she's got that Disney-princess vibe about her. 

Imogen Poots as Dany. And she's a far better actress than Emilia. Look at that Targ look!

Also, Mark Killian (the dude who played Mero) would've been a much better Euron. Likewise, Freddie Stroma, who played Dickon Tarly for like 2 pointless seconds, would've been a better Loras. 

The dude in my icon, Hugh Dancy, could've been a good Garlan. Duh. 

And Natalia Tena should've been Asha, not Osha. 

Ok, I'll stop. 

I lied, one more: Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Arianne. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2017 at 7:56 AM, Victarian Revolution said:

i also like Brian Cox - i thought he'd make a great Marwyn.  not sure if they have cast that role or if they will but i always think Brian Cox when reading those chapters.

I also thought Peter O'Toole would make a fantastic Mad King - but sadly that'll never happen

You can guess i recently watched Troy.

Ah I love Brian Cox as Marwyn! That's brilliant, and that's leading me to picture him as the Hound. Have you seen The Devil's Crown? Brian Cox's Henry II is everything.

And, yes I am like 80% sure Peter O'Toole would have done GoT if he was still around to

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2017 at 4:03 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Dominic West.  I could have seen him as Euron or Vicatarion (if Vic was on the show).  Could also see him as a memorable single-episode character like Ian McShane or Bridgette Hojoert-Sorensen were, really playing any role.

Ya that's great! 

I did not find the casting of Euron to be a great call. He's such an animated, extreme, wild character they could have really had some fun with his character. Like with a Richard Burton-esque actor and let really develop the character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rachel of Oldstones said:

Ya that's great! 

I did not find the casting of Euron to be a great call. He's such an animated, extreme, wild character they could have really had some fun with his character. Like with a Richard Burton-esque actor and let really develop the character.

Agreed on Pilou Asbaek as a poor casting choice for Euron, though I like the actor just fine in his other roles.  I think Euron needed a much more imposing look and voice, as well as to look a bit older.  Dominic West has a little crazy in his eyes, definitely think he would have been a far better choice, and wouldn't have looked ridiculous with an eye-patch (Pilou would have, which is probably one of the reasons why they didn't include it on the show).  Did you have anyone else in mind as a good Euron?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

  Did you have anyone else in mind as a good Euron?

James Purefoy would have been my choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the beauty of shows like this, is you get a lot of unknown gems. Really I cant think of too many choices that leap out at me as "this was a terrible choice." Usually the problems lie with the writing. All the acting in the world wouldn't have saved the Sand Snakes for example. I think Alexander Siddig, an excellent actor(yes, DS9 fan that I am) was wasted as Prince Doran. Even some of the extras really shine through, be it Ian McShane, or even people like the random guy the Hound and Arya gave water to before killing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Jason Isaacs and Dominic West. Dominic was actually approached but reject their offer.

Edited by Lord Friendzone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Jason Isaacs and Dominic West. Dominic was actually approached but reject their offer.

No kidding, what role was Dominic offered?  Euron?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

No kidding, what role was Dominic offered?  Euron?

I believe Mance Rayder but not entirely sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:55 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

  Did you have anyone else in mind as a good Euron?

Kenneth Brannaugh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2017 at 2:55 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Agreed on Pilou Asbaek as a poor casting choice for Euron, though I like the actor just fine in his other roles.  I think Euron needed a much more imposing look and voice, as well as to look a bit older.  Dominic West has a little crazy in his eyes, definitely think he would have been a far better choice, and wouldn't have looked ridiculous with an eye-patch (Pilou would have, which is probably one of the reasons why they didn't include it on the show).  Did you have anyone else in mind as a good Euron?

Dominic West would have never occurred to me, but now I can't think of any other good ones,at least not a live. But Peter O'Toole! I keep thinking of him as Henry II in Beckett (even though I prefer his Lion in Winter portrayal !much better, mostly because he's one of my favorite historical figures to read about....). OToole is everything. 

I keep thinking Justin Theroux too. And maybe it's just the girl in me but I always pictured Euron as a sexy (though, psychotic) bad boy. 

This is fun though! Anyone else you think could've been cast better or other characters the show left out or has yet to be cast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure which character, but the show could have made use of Gerard Butler.  Definitely too expensive but he would have been great.  Maybe as Alliser Thorne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I have a character in mind, it's in (here)

Brian Blessed, Ian McNiece, Brian Cox (All as Wyman Manderly.) 

Jason Isaacs.

James Purefory (Euron Greyjoy)

Kevin McKidd (Jon Connington.)

Ray Stevenson

Alan Rickman 

David Thewlis

John Hurt

Sam Neill

Tommy Flannagan

Katie McGrath

Geoffrey Rush

David Wenham 

John Noble

Ben Mendelsohn

Luke Hemsworth

Jason Clarke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Aubrey Plaza as...someone. She was brilliant in Legion. I was thinking of a Euron-like character.

And Tatiana Maslany. As the whole cast, obviously...

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First I will say it's fairly hard to picture anyone but the actors who were actually cast playing existing roles as GoT for the most part was cast fairly perfectly. Indeed, had the writing been better, I think the existing cast could have delivered even more memorable performances.

That said, I think Cate Blanchett could have been an amazing Cersei, Catelyn or Melissandre. She can pretty much play anyone, but I think those specific three roles she could have really brought to life magnificently.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Toby Stephens would have been a fabulous Mance. He has gravitas. He is the more vibrant  Mance that I picture in the books. Also, Richard Armitage would be a very menacing Euron- like the books. This Euron acts like a clown (and not  a scary one either).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now