Who will die in the fight beyond the Wall?

wolfsbae

13 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

I wanna know what the Hound, Beric, and Thoros thought they were going to accomplish by themselves.  And they all (the magnificent 7) say they are on the same mission.  When did Beric or Thoros ever say their mission was to capture a wight and bring it back down to appear in the circus before the bearded lady?  Maybe this is how the Westeros version of Ringling Bros got their start.  

"Our reasons aren't your reasons" said Davos.

7 minutes ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

I thought he felt awkward in front of Jon because he went into exile to avoid being beheaded by Ned, and that meeting his son made the whole thing uncomfortable for him. 

Quite possibly could have played in a role in this awkwardness too. Im hoping it doesnt go into some love triangle.

Jorah, Gendry, Thoros, and Beric

Beric and Thoros are pretty much filler in the big scheme of things. Jorah may die to convince Dany that the dead are the main threat. Gendry, he was just reintroduced so I would hate to see him go so quickly. Tormund has to represent the wilding, as there is no one else left. 

Jon and the Hound are the only ones that plot armor

5 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Quite possibly could have played in a role in this awkwardness too. Im hoping it doesnt go into some love triangle.

I think the shame weights very, very heavily on Jorah. He is a man who carries a lot of guilt. 

Everyone dies but Jon, Tormund and Gendry. 

I don't want the Hound to die, but I think GRRM has been done with him since AFFC (Gravedigger), his arc makes sense in the books and the show needs a way to kill him off since he can't really be end game. 

Jorah now seems to have a fun relationship with Dany and are BFF and he gets love and affection from her, in a way. It's just setting him up to die. 

The rest of the brotherhood I think just came up north to die off. IMO

12 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

Everyone dies but Jon, Tormund and Gendry. 

I don't want the Hound to die, but I think GRRM has been done with him since AFFC (Gravedigger), his arc makes sense in the books and the show needs a way to kill him off since he can't really be end game. 

Thinking about things Id hate to see the Hound die, Id love to see the clegane bowl happen, and I'll  be praying every night ha. But I do see your point that that his story sort of needs to come to an end now.

Jorah now seems to have a fun relationship with Dany and are BFF and he gets love and affection from her, in a way. It's just setting him up to die. 

Yeah I dont like the Idea they gave him Greyscale, got cured and returned to Daenerys, but she'd already forgave him before he went to get the cure. Dont really like his story line just to kill him off now. But hey not to bothered if he does.

The rest of the brotherhood I think just came up north to die off. IMO

Yeah definitely this, Beric and Thoros do not return. 

The question, to me, isn't who will die, but who will survive.

Jon will most likely live.

Jorah most likely to die.

Thoros, Beric likely die.

Tormund would hurt to lose, but I can see him dying as well.

Gendry will likely die (why else would Sandor have the warhammer in the teaser).

So there... Jon and Sandor are my votes to live. Everyone else has a better than 50% chance to die in my mind.

Definite survivors:
Jon (obviously)
Tormund (because he's the only remaining wildling character. Also, he needs to reunite with Brienne.)
Clegane (because Cleganebowl)
Gendry (because they didn't bring him back just to have him die immediately)

Probably dead:
Thoros (almost a redshirt)
Beric (see above)
Jorah (because somebody important has to die)

My guess is that for some reason the survivors head back south by way of Winterfell, which will provide for Arya's reunion with Gendry/Hound/Jon. I also think Baelish will somehow wind up being the wight they present to Cersei. I just have a feeling.

I'd say everybody, apart from Jon. This whole expedition reeks of the writers' need to:

• Show the viewers how dangerous the Army of the Dead is (even though main characters have trekked up and down the continent multiple times in the time it took this army to march on the Wall).
  • Create some action scenes north of the Wall, for whatever flimsy reason.
  • Kill off a few named characters, both to cut loose threads and for the shock value of lots of beloved characters dying.

So I guess Beric and Thoros are toast (well, to the extent icy wights can "toast" anything), they have no purpose in the final five-or-so episodes that other characters can't resolve. Sandor too, he might redeem himself by sacrificing his life to save some of his companions (anyway, his only remaining purpose would be to kill the reanimated Mountain, which frankly is a job that could be done just as nicely by others). Jorah needs to get out of the way too, so a love triangle won't eat too much of Daenerys' screentime (five episodes left after the next, remember). Gendry was quite possibly written out of the show when he got on that rowboat, and intended never to return. But the writers noticed that fans noticed that he hadn't got a proper ending, and his absence was becoming memetic. So they brought him back in, so he can be killed off in a proper, definitely-the-end-of-the-character way. He is a loose thread, only brought back to be ripped out properly.

That leaves Tormund to account for:

6 hours ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

We don't have an established relationship with any other wildling character so if Tormund is killed they simply become a faceless group. They need Tormund there as their "representative" of sorts so I think he's pretty much safe. 

I'm sorry, but I think he's toast (or, uh... slush?) too. Dead beyond the wall, in his homeland. The series previously stated that "the Wildlings went to Eastwatch", which is to say "Every remaining Wildling is at Eastwatch". Keep in mind that there is nothing left in Dorne after the Sand Snakes died, that entire region just faded away with the death of its leadership - same goes for the Reach, which is apparently nothing but Highgarden. The series has a habit of hyper-concentrating things, not as much happening on a large continent as on a sea of tiny islands.

Anyway, with the Wildlings all at Eastwatch, left a faceless group with their leader dead, the Wall looming above them, and a huge Plot Point army on the other side? There is no way this won't end with the Wall falling, and a subsequent massacre. Time will tell whether Davos dies in that battle too.

I'd also throw in Benjen there somewhere. Not sure if he lives or dies or turns evil. But there's no way he won't be there.

9 minutes ago, Lockjaw of House Boltagon said:

Logic will be the first casualty, I bet. 

The thread title asks "Who or what will die beyond the Wall". For this particular mission, logic died on Dragonstone. "Let's send our dearest and most valuable men, including our top three military commanders, beyond the Wall - alone - to personally capture a wight we could show to Cersei, that would surely convince her to agree to an armistice!" This proposal was not meant with a "What, no!", or an "Are you drunk?", or "I can think of a million other plans we could try first", or even a "Good idea, but uh, how exactly are the logistics going to work out there?". Heck, even a "Let's bring a sled we can lash the captured wight to!" might have saved logic to some degree. But no, six valuable men on foot with no equipment to speak of was the plan they went with. Logic was well and soundly dead long before they got to the Wall.

17 minutes ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

six valuable men

For fan purposes. For political purposes I count three.

While Jorah seems to be the most likely KIA for most, I would find this very unsatisfying. Get a disease, travel around the world to get cured,

come back to your queen, say "hello", die in the north.

7 minutes ago, Simon Tam said:

While Jorah seems to be the most likely KIA for most, I would find this very unsatisfying. Get a disease, travel around the world to get cured,

Agreed. I don't see the point in wasting precious screen time having Jorah cured of his greyscale just to be murdered beyond the wall. The only way I can see it is if something horribly tragic happens, like him becoming a wight. 

6 hours ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

Thoros is a given for me in that offing him sets us up nicely for the death of Beric Dondarrion. Thoros will go first, and Beric will follow. Without Thoros to bring him back we'll know it's for good. 

I initially thought Beric would be the first to go because of what's in the spoiler below but your reasoning makes more sense.

Spoiler

He is dead in the books already

5 hours ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

I thought he felt awkward in front of Jon because he went into exile to avoid being beheaded by Ned, and that meeting his son made the whole thing uncomfortable for him. 

This was also my initial reaction, not the love triangle stuff.

1 hour ago, Lockjaw of House Boltagon said:

Logic will be the first casualty, I bet. 

LMAO logic died a long time ago.

I'll say Thoros, Tormund (because it has to hurt), and a bunch of unnamed characters are the ones who die.

1 hour ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

Definite survivors:
Tormund (because he's the only remaining wildling character. Also, he needs to reunite with Brienne.)

Yes!

1 hour ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

I'd also throw in Benjen there somewhere. Not sure if he lives or dies or turns evil. But there's no way he won't be there.

I was thinking of him, too.

1 hour ago, Simon Tam said:

It would be cool for him to turn the Wight they will then bring back, first to Daenarys, then Cersei.

But Jorah has to live to help Samwell.

My guess for who dies is Thoros and Beric.  Though I also see Sandor dying but then being brought back with the last kiss by either Thoros or more likely Beric.

Tormund won’t die, because he will die when the white walkers breach the Wall.

Jorah won’t die since he is still needed for Dany’s arc he just can’t be with her right now.

Jon won’t die for obvious reasons.

And they wouldn’t reintroduce Gendry just to kill him (kind of like how the Hound won’t really die either).   These characters aren’t like Rickon who was a loose thread that needed to be cut.

Archived