Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hereward

Cricket: ODIs Are Proper Cricket Edition

283 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jeor said:

How much do county cricket players make, anyway? I guess it varies widely and international stars would make lots, but it still wouldn't compare with the IPL money.

I actually don't know but I think the salary cap's about £2 million so you're certainly not talking IPL money and it probably depends on what formats you play in. Still, Surray are the richest county by a decent margin so I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like setting up their overseas players with somewhere to live in London to supplement their wages.

Edited by ljkeane

Steve Smith needs to earn a living? At 28, the guy owns shares in four racehorses, has no child-raising responsibilities and has already made more money than most of us will in a lifetime. Cry me a river!

Oh and I can’t resist mentioning: at least until his ban is over, Smith will have to content himself with being third on the list of all-time test batting averages. Voges has rightly been restored to second spot :p.

/schadenfreude

Edited by Paxter

Well, it's true that Warner/Smith are already loaded so passing the time for 12 months really isn't a monetary issue. Worst that could happen is they have to sell off an investment property or two. So maybe my sympathy for Smith is misplaced (and it's rather arbitrary sympathy anyway as I hope Warner rots and goes bankrupt and has to stack shelves at the local supermarket for money).

Banning them from all cricket is a tricky thing. I actually don't really know what the mechanism would be. Since the year-long ban is imposed by Cricket Australia, not the ICC, I suppose technically they could play abroad - but apparently there's some form of gentleman's agreement where other competitions have to check with the home cricket board that it's okay (e.g. NZ asking if it was alright for Stokes to play in their domestic comp while charges were still being sorted through). Anyway, if it's like any other cricketing bureaucracies, I'm sure it's some maze.