News from the insane world of Terry Goodkind

Werthead

Mistleten: Terry Goodkind wrote the Sword of Truth series, and is pretty thoroughly reviled for his hackneyed plot devices, his awful prose, and his tendency to shove his Ayn Rand philosophy down the reader's throats. Oh, yeah, forgot about his pretentiousness.

Don't forget the sadomasochism and the rapes.

His total dickery, which this webmaster's post exemplifies, isn't even the reason I stopped reading. It's the pathetic plotting, character "development", and most of all, the repetitive bludgeoning with objectivism. One book of nothing but objectivism I could stand, but when each subsequent book just repeated the exact same points, in almost the exact same wording... I think maybe he took his best objectivist speeches, grabbed a thesaurus, and changed a few words.

He should be stabbed in the eyes. With a rusty spork. Don't ask me how to get a plastic spork rusty.

But yes, remember, the only appropriate topics of discussion on a Terry Goodkind forum are those that are:

- serious

- praiseful of him and his writing

- constructive

- morally valuable

- not worth reading

"Q: It's about time I asked this, after seeing it hammered into my head so often. Mr. Goodkind, why exactly don't you read other fantasy?"

"(goodkind)A: Would you prefer I read fantasy or write fantasy?"

but...but...but..he also says he doesnt write fantasty :rofl:

now explain this to me..

who copied whom? Jordan or Goodkind.

I think probably Goodkind copied Jordan, simply because Wizards' First Rule was released in 1995 and the Eye of the World in 1992. Of course, Goodkind would claim that's impossible since he doesn't read fantasy and doesn't write fantasy and he's better than any other author to ever have lived. His interviews do give the impression that he never reads books at all - when asked, who is your favourite author, or what books inspired you, he always waffles about how he wouldn't read what everyone else did when he was in school etc, but never gives names, except possibly Ayn Rand.

Which, of course, is patently false, due to the ease of finding stolen concepts from WoT in SoT. The most blatant name-wise is the title of the second book, "The Stone of Tears," which was utterly foolish on his part because the two stones are completely unalike.

Then conceptually, the Blood of the Fold are nearly exact copies of the Whitecloaks (the even have distinctive red cloaks), the Sisters of the Light are easily Aes Sedai, dreamwalking, etc. etc. etc.

I have never read a page of Goodkind, and that might be for the best, considering these interviews. I like pretentions, but there is such a thing as taking it too far.

I am sort of confused as well. Aren't objectivists libertarians? And still he has this Pravda-like message board demanding utter conformity to the ideals? Weird.

The earlier interview is interesting. Goodkind's pratness appears to have been in it's early stages, but examples can still be found:

"To a certain extent I don't know how I do what I do. I just do it."

And we wish you didn't.

"Just go read the first sentence of any of my books and you'll see what I mean. It's hard to read just that one sentence and then stop. You feel almost compelled to read the rest of the first paragraph. As far as I'm concerned, that first moment may be all the time I have to prove to readers that this will be worth their time."

:rofl: This statement is just wrong on so many levels.

Did you notice that the last question was a simple, "Do you think you will write a non-SoT book one day?" and he replied with a lengthy justification and polemic of his belief system. WTF? Very odd. Very moronic. Very Goodkind.

Guest OsRavan

uncle terry! how have you been!? I missed you at thanksgiving.

Uncle Terry, dont worry. I have your back here. Just remember me come holiday gift giving time in our family.

I honestly dont dislike most of SoT, its a ok read that doesnt make you think. I am however finding that Goodkind is a twat, I will still read his stuff but will only buy it used. Im not going to let any of my $$ get into his pocket.

In that case, that's what libraries are for, dude... :P

I have never read a page of Goodkind, and that might be for the best, considering these interviews. I like pretentions, but there is such a thing as taking it too far.

I am sort of confused as well. Aren't objectivists libertarians? And still he has this Pravda-like message board demanding utter conformity to the ideals? Weird.

I've looked into what objectivism is, and it seems to be liberal on the economic side, ie low taxes, low state intervention etc, but pretty authoritarian on the social side- banning any idea that they don't agree with. It seems a philosophy of arrogance - what you believe is right, so everyone else should believe it. Seems similar to Thatcherism.

I'm thinking of actually reading Wizards' First Rule one day - to see if it is as bad as everyone says, but also so that it can remind me why authors like Martin are so good. It may also help to appreciate some of the comments that complain about fantasy in general - of course it would need to be from a library, or second hand - I don't think Goodkind needs more money.

In that case, that's what libraries are for, dude... :P

well, dont say I dont use an opening when i see it :D (please feel free to donate Goodkind)

I'm posting on the behalf of a small local library that doesn't get any funding up here in Fall River/McArthur California. (it was dropped by the county)

Due to donations and lots of volunteer work they are getting ready to move into a new building. At this time they would love for people to donate books to help fill the shelves.

Any book is welcome be it paperback or hardcover. They just ask that the books be in "ok" condition and are not missing any pages!

All subjects are welcome though the lady in charge has informed me they are very short on Sci-Fi and Fantasy (and I've since seen the selection..its pretty sad)

If you folks are anything like me you have some books collecting dust that you don't want/need anymore, so please do some good and donate!

To send a book (or books) their address is.

Fall River Mills Library

PO Box 176, Fall River Mills

CA 96028

Thank you all and Happy Holidays!

Archived