Mini Rants

ztemhead

In case I didn't say it earlier, congrats, Saurian. :D

I've only been seriously pissed off one time during this entire pregnancy, and I thankfully kept my mouth shut because there might have been some action. I was in line at Target, clutching my precious Sims 3, and there was another woman, chubby in that flabby soccer mom way, in front of me. Another cashier opened up and gestured for us to come over. I picked a shorter way over and was walking, not hustling, and I ended up in front of her. She glared at me - I had one fucking item - and said, "I was in front of you, I was here first." Well, shit. Sorry about that. I'm pregnant, I can't move that fast. You look about as big as me, what's your excuse? In retrospect I wish I had said it because she Bitchfaced the entire rest of the time even though I let her go in front. She Bitchfaced at the cashier. She Bitchfaced at my husband when he joined me in line, as if he was going to cut in front of her.

I had a guy ask me if I was having twins the day before yesterday. That... went over well. And then there was that girl who thought I wasn't so big. I was sitting with a classmate whose wife just gave birth a few months ago and we both stared at her as if to say, "You must be joking."

I want to know why most women (who are not midgets) appear to be incapable of holding onto the horizontal overhead bars on the tube and INSIST on using the vertical bars. I'm 5'4" and I manage fine with the overhead bars - my objective is to have maximum free space around me. But this utterly ridiculous female habit means that even if it is not that packed on the train I can sometimes have three arms (often with bags on them) right in my face as women cluster around the vertical bar which is next to the glass panel I'm leaning against. There's plenty of standing room so get out of my fucking face, would you?

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people who are desperate to get as close as possible to total strangers even when there is plenty of room for everyone???

I want to know why most women (who are not midgets) appear to be incapable of holding onto the horizontal overhead bars on the tube and INSIST on using the vertical bars. I'm 5'4" and I manage fine with the overhead bars - my objective is to have maximum free space around me. But this utterly ridiculous female habit means that even if it is not that packed on the train I can sometimes have three arms (often with bags on them) right in my face as women cluster around the vertical bar which is next to the glass panel I'm leaning against. There's plenty of standing room so get out of my fucking face, would you?

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people who are desperate to get as close as possible to total strangers even when there is plenty of room for everyone???

I was sitting down on the Toronto subway when a guy comes right up to me puts both arms up on the horizontal bar above my seat and shoves his groin in my face - just plain rude!

which is why I shop at three AM, a time at which if I wanted I could walk out without paying for half the items in my cart. there's never anybody manning the self check out at that hour; they seem to prefer the honor system. I keep expecting to see the sign from Clerks, "Leave money on the counter. Be honest."

Rant 1: I'm trying to buy a single item at the druge store. There were clearly two lines, but one was shorter. I get in the shorter line. This old lady with a FULL shopping cart (and the circular, which never bodes well) says "excuse me miss, but there's just one line." REALLY? Even though there were two people in front of me? Clever way to try to cut, but c'mon, honestly. She then proceeded to be bitchy and held up both registers because the other register was manned by the manager, who constantly had to go approve things, etc./write rain checks/otherwise deal with the horror show.

Rant 2: People who make their problem my problem. I got reamed the other day because I couldn't turn around a complicated piece of analysis and create a memo describing "all" of the consequences of 4 inchoate possible structuring ideas in a day. Well you know, before you make promises to a client, you might want to check with the person doing the work first, particularly where that person is ostensibly your peer and in another department. NOT MY PROBLEM.

Self-conscious about arm pits being possibly smelly, or in the case of sleeveless shirts, stubbly. I know I think twice about raising my arms in the summer months if someone might be watching.

<---- heat wave in Philly

Oh, speaking of heat waves, why is the average temperature in my office about 65 degrees? I am wearing a SWEATER for goodness sakes. It's 95 outside.

Want to switch? My university doesn't believe in air conditioning and the ambient temperature in the grad room and in the piano lab seems to be something like 80-82. I'm ready to kill someone. I can't stop sweating.

Want to switch? My university doesn't believe in air conditioning and the ambient temperature in the grad room and in the piano lab seems to be something like 80-82. I'm ready to kill someone. I can't stop sweating.

Cruel and unusual.

But honestly, I have goosdbumps right now. I'd switch.

People who saunter. Or amble. In places where this is not an appropriate manner of walking, because everyone else is trying to get somewhere. You have been warned. :tantrum:

Minaku,

I had a guy ask me if I was having twins the day before yesterday. That... went over well. And then there was that girl who thought I wasn't so big. I was sitting with a classmate whose wife just gave birth a few months ago and we both stared at her as if to say, "You must be joking."

There is no polite way to ask a woman if she is pregnant. If you are wrong, you are an ass. I simply do not ask. If they want to tell me they will.

Have you had trouble with people touching your belly? That drove Laura insane during both her pregnancies. She's big on personal space. Having perfect strangers touch her belly was lible to enduce a reflexive cranium removal of the offending party.

Minaku,

There is no polite way to ask a woman if she is pregnant. If you are wrong, you are an ass. I simply do not ask. If they want to tell me they will.

Have you had trouble with people touching your belly? That drove Laura insane during both her pregnancies. She's big on personal space. Having perfect strangers touch her belly was lible to enduce a reflexive cranium removal of the offending party.

No, he wasn't asking if I was pregnant. He wanted to know if I was having multiples because I was so freaking large.

I haven't had anyone touching my belly.

Oh, speaking of heat waves, why is the average temperature in my office about 65 degrees? I am wearing a SWEATER for goodness sakes. It's 95 outside.

I hear ya! I have a whole array of "summer sweaters" (sorta thin/not bulky) that I use only in July & August--I have to carry one in my bag for either work or restaurants because everyone here seems to want to chill all indoor spaces down to the temperature of a freaking meat-locker. the hotter it is outside the colder it is inside. I hate it.

I've been known to take my hair down (its quite long) and arrange it around my torso in Cousin-It style in an attempt to keep warm in places where I forgot a sweater. It looks totally stupid, but I can actually keep my arms warm that way.

Mini-Rant: Kitteh Edition.

There is no need to throw half the litter out of the box when taking a poop.

Do not pounce at the broom as I try to sweep it up.

There are a number of string toys for you to play with. Pulling at my mouse cable and chewing on electrical wires will not be tolerated.

You may cuddle with me on the desk but you are forbidden to walk around on the keyboard. How can I make this clear to you?

When you climb around on my gamecube and press the 'power' or 'reset' buttons, this fills me with impotent wrath.

In fact, it is completely unfair that every annoying thing you do is done so adorably that I am helpless.

Archived