NFL. vol 2.

davos

7-9 Week 1. I picked a few more potential upsets than I should have. Should I play it safe this week? Nah...

Baltimore vs Cincinnati: Baltimore is good. Really good. I would not be surprised to see them in the Super Bowl, though I think it's more likely that they dominate throughout the season only to choke early in the playoffs. They're good enough to beat a Bengals team that doesn't seem to know what it wants to do/be. Look for the TOcho drama to ramp up in the media if it's a slow news week.

Philadelphia vs Detroit: The revamped Lions D was impressive when they weren't getting gashed for huge yardage. The only problem is that they'll be facing another QB who can scramble and gash them.

Arizona vs Atlanta: Both of these teams want to prove that they're still relevant. Atlanta needs it more.

Miami vs Minnesota: I would love for Miami to win, but I think the Minnesota defense destroys Chad Henne, but not before Brandon Marshall exploits the Vikings secondary.

Kansas City vs Cleveland: The Chiefs will surprise again with a dominating win before the bottom starts to fall out.

Tampa Bay vs Carolina

Buffalo vs Green Bay

Chicago vs Dallas: I want to pick my team to win, but as I said up thread, Dallas's two major strengths - pass rush and pass offense - just happen to be a perfect match up for Chicago's two major weaknesses - pass protection and pass defense. Maybe Zach Bowman's shutting down of Megatron (4 catches for 45 yards, a big chunk of which came during the last two minutes against the Prevent defense) wasn't a fluke and he is a #1 CB and can contain Austin or Dez Bryant. Tillman should be able to shut down Roy Williams, though honestly Roy Williams being Roy Williams should be enough to shut down Roy Williams. The Chicago linebackers should contain Witten from getting too much YAC, but he will catch some balls. The problems will come when Dallas gets into their 3-receiver set with Austin in the slot. DJ Moore is going to get murdered going up against the faster, stronger, and just better Miles Austin. Romo is good at avoiding the blitz, which neutralized the Chicago defense the last time these two teams played. Can he do it again? The main thing going for the Bears in this game is that the Cowboys are often the Cowboys worst enemy.

Seattle vs Denver

St. Louis vs Oakland: There sure are a lot of Battle of the Meh Teams this week. Oakland wins, though it will be close. And no one but Rams and Raiders fans will care, and even then not much.

Jacksonville vs San Diego: The Chargers are going to be angry. Very angry. For all the talk of them being "slow starters" they're going to get off to a hot start here and destroy the Jaguars.

NY Giants vs Indianapolis: I'd like to see the Colts lose, only to watch the reactions from the annoyingly arrogant Colts fans all around me. But Peyton Manning is going to play an amazing game and put up more points than the Giants will be able to match. Even after Arian Foster killed the Colts run D last week, I stand by my statement that they will be a Top 10, maybe Top 5 defense this year. Bob Sanders being out of the game will actually be good for the team, as Melvin Bullitt is no slouch and they can actually game plan around the fact that Sanders is out.

Pittsburgh vs Tennessee: The Pittsburgh D will prevent the Titans from doing much. Chris Johnson will put up 100 yards, maybe, but that's all that will be accomplished by that offense. Whether Dennis Dixon can score points is another matter.

Houston vs Washington: The Texans will impress once again and increase their hype (which will eventually come back and bite them in the ass)

New England vs NY Jets: The Jets need this win to keep the vultures from circling. I think the D punches the Pats in the mouth early and often and manage to fluster Brady for the first half. He'll come out solid in the second half, but will be playing from behind. Whether the Jets offense can answer the inevitable scores is the question.

New Orleans vs San Francisco

St. Louis vs Oakland: There sure are a lot of Battle of the Meh Teams this week. Oakland wins, though it will be close. And no one but Rams and Raiders fans will care, and even then not much.

Jacksonville vs San Diego: The Chargers are going to be angry. Very angry. For all the talk of them being "slow starters" they're going to get off to a hot start here and destroy the Jaguars.

I think St. Louis is headed in the right direction. Not so sure about the Raiders.

But I agree 100% on Jax-SD. Cross-country road trips are always tough. But a cross country road trip into a team that underperformed on national TV last week - could be quite not so good. Jacksonville is not the Packers, but they are a better offense than KC. Will be interesting to see if the Chargers shut them down as thoroughly as they did the Chiefs.

Living in Illinois and being a life-ling Cowboys fan means today is a HUGE game for me. No other game can bring that ol' Thrill of Victory or the AGONY OF DEFEAT. I still have mental scars from the 44-0 beatdown the '85 Bears gave Dallas. I was teased for years after that.

So we shall see. I think from a matchup POV Dallas has a huge edge. Ware and Spencer should dominate the Bears tackles. 1 great matchup should be Olin Kreutz and the Bears guards vs. Jay Ratliff. Dallas' backers and secondary should be able to handle the Bears' receivers.

I think the Bears HAVE to be able run on Dallas. If Cutler has to throw 40 times he is dead. The matchup that again concerns me is Julius Peppers vs the Dallas right tackle. Colombo is back but could be rusty. My hope is Dallas runs Felix Jones early and often.

On a different game, the radio was just saying that Revis could be playing Welker a lot this afternoon. Interesting. the '94 49ers did a smiliar thing that season to finally beat the Cowboys. Deion Sanders played on Alvin Harper instead of Michael Irvin while Irvin was double-teamed. That was effective. What I wonder is can Revis actually shutdown Welker since they throw all those effective short passes? And can Moss still beat a double team and can the other Pats receiver step up?

That was what I expected. We'll see if both Welker and Revis are healthy enough and we'll see who steps up on both teams. I am taking a wild guess and going with Brandon Tate on my Ice and Fire fantasy team.

But don't forget the TE's for both teams. Dustin Keller has hurt the Patriots before and will want to make up for that last game. While the Patriots have a few new weapons a big gun in Gronkowski and a Machete in Hernandez. Gronkowski and Crumpler will probably end up blocking quite a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hernandez be used. He caught a short ball last week and ran it long while Moss was double covered.

But don't forget the TE's for both teams. Dustin Keller has hurt the Patriots before and will want to make up for that last game. While the Patriots have a few new weapons a big gun in Gronkowski and a Machete in Hernandez. Gronkowski and Crumpler will probably end up blocking quite a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hernandez be used. He caught a short ball last week and ran it long while Moss was double covered.

It was a blown coverage but yea, he did have a long catch. I think the Jets get more pressure on the Patriots and I think their 4-8 yard passes are less effective than they were against the Bengals. I read somewhere that out of Brady's passes, only 4 of them were in the air for longer than 8 yards.

Living in Illinois and being a life-ling Cowboys fan means today is a HUGE game for me. No other game can bring that ol' Thrill of Victory or the AGONY OF DEFEAT. I still have mental scars from the 44-0 beatdown the '85 Bears gave Dallas. I was teased for years after that.

So we shall see. I think from a matchup POV Dallas has a huge edge. Ware and Spencer should dominate the Bears tackles. 1 great matchup should be Olin Kreutz and the Bears guards vs. Jay Ratliff. Dallas' backers and secondary should be able to handle the Bears' receivers.

I think the Bears HAVE to be able run on Dallas. If Cutler has to throw 40 times he is dead. The matchup that again concerns me is Julius Peppers vs the Dallas right tackle. Colombo is back but could be rusty. My hope is Dallas runs Felix Jones early and often.

On a different game, the radio was just saying that Revis could be playing Welker a lot this afternoon. Interesting. the '94 49ers did a smiliar thing that season to finally beat the Cowboys. Deion Sanders played on Alvin Harper instead of Michael Irvin while Irvin was double-teamed. That was effective. What I wonder is can Revis actually shutdown Welker since they throw all those effective short passes? And can Moss still beat a double team and can the other Pats receiver step up?

Walker is a bigger part of the Patriot's air attack then Moss. Last year, the Saints keyed on stopping Welker. He will get his catches, but they want to tackle before he gets going running down the field. Doubling Moss could frustrate him and take him out of the game. Revis is not at 100%, so I do not know how long he can lock up on the shifty Welker.

week 2: I Hate football again

week 3 vs The Texans: I'm gonna hate football even more.

Unbelievable. Mike Martz just whipped Wade Phillips' ass in playcalling. This is a horribly coached team. No discipline. This is a poorly run team. Jerry Jones told eanybody who would listen that David Buehler would be fine at kicker. Wrong again, Jerry.

It's week 2 and my expectations just went to "happy if they finish .500".

eta: Congrats Bears

How about them Bengals?

Their offense didn't look amazing because Palmer was completely off as usual but that defense looked like it should have last week. They played brilliantly. Very happy with the result as we have some winnable games coming up.

Steelers offense tried their best to lose this one. Fortunately the defense was monstrous.

What is this Pittsburgh offense that you speak of? Actually, the offense looked halfway decent before Dixon went out with that knee.

And I know I said it before but I'll say it again, #43 is one of the NFL 56 most important players(Brady, Manning, Brees, & Ngata/C. Johnson) to their team's success. If one of these guys go down, say goodbye to your postseason.

Mexal: Those two young corners(Joseph and Hall) are beasts. And that receiving corp could be a lot of trouble if Palmer gets his head on straight.

What is this Pittsburgh offense that you speak of? Actually, the offense looked halfway decent before Dixon went out with that knee.

And I know I said it before but I'll say it again, #43 is one of the NFL 56 most important players(Brady, Manning, Brees, & Ngata/C. Johnson) to their team's success. If one of these guys go down, say goodbye to your postseason.

He's the most important player on that team by far. It's not everyday you see a defensive player with that kind of impact.

So, the Chargers game is blacked out here because our fans suck. To make things more painful I have to watch Patriots vs Jets and unfortunately both teams can't lose. I will admit my hatred for the Jets currently runs deeper :devil: go Pats (I guess)

Archived