Football XXV

Black Wizard

Could we see more than one sacking as a result of tonight's results? If things stay this way, the chances are surely reasonably good...

I don't know what's staying Abramovich's hand with Ancelotti, but as far as Hodgson goes I reckon the thing that's saving him is NESV equivocating about a new manager. They would probably prefer to bring in someone permanent to replace him rather than going to Dalglish to play out the season, but they're probably finding it tough to line up someone at this stage of the season.

Mind you I think it would be a pretty good job to take. Hodgson has completely destroyed the supporters' expectations so the new guy can't possibly do any worse.

Spent 90 minutes watching the Australia v UAE friendly last night. Was bored shitless.

As a casual watcher of football (read: maybe 12 games a year), am i right in thinking that internationals are played with a more defensive mindset?

Hodgson's made his lot harder with the whinging about fan support post-Wolves.

NESV might be loathe to push the button but the atmosphere at Anfield is toxic and could already have triggered a vicious cycle of manager v fans backbiting. The irony of a steady-hands, stopgap manager needing replacement might be too much for them though.

Spent 90 minutes watching the Australia v UAE friendly last night. Was bored shitless.

As a casual watcher of football (read: maybe 12 games a year), am i right in thinking that internationals are played with a more defensive mindset?

friendlies should not be. they are a fun chance to see what your players can do.

if it is a cup of some sort it is a good way to play. hold the ball, absorb your opponents attack, counterattack when you can. in a cup a win is a win. no matter how ugly they count. look at the world cup winning italian side. they did it perfectly.

Sounded like a good one to miss, glad I opted for sleep.

Yes.

Managers have less time with the players, players have less time with each other (barring the likes of Spain), the matches themselves are usually must-win - all adds up to a premium on keeping it tight and not losing.

game should be three-nil by now. but shola's strike partner lovenkrands could not finish a cup of tea. put ranger in. see if that quick lad can find the back of the net.

someone finished up their cuppa today...

I've been browbeaten into being a Newcastle fan. Supporting Chelsea is verboten in this household, and the change apparently has come at just the right time...

Empty seats will get NESV's attention pretty damn fast.

Yes, I just read on soccernet that apparently Anfield had 8,000 empty seats last time and they didn't fill the away stand at Wolves. If they can't find a permanent manager in a few weeks time, NESV might just be forced to pull the trigger and get Dalglish in if only to get the supporters back and draw a line under Hodgson.

if it is a cup of some sort it is a good way to play. hold the ball, absorb your opponents attack, counterattack when you can. in a cup a win is a win. no matter how ugly they count. look at the world cup winning italian side. they did it perfectly.

It was a prelude to the Asian Cup starting shortly. Essentially the last warm up before the real thing.

Managers have less time with the players, players have less time with each other (barring the likes of Spain), the matches themselves are usually must-win - all adds up to a premium on keeping it tight and not losing.

I guess that makes sense. Still boring though. ;)

I don't know what's staying Abramovich's hand with Ancelotti, but as far as Hodgson goes I reckon the thing that's saving him is NESV equivocating about a new manager. They would probably prefer to bring in someone permanent to replace him rather than going to Dalglish to play out the season, but they're probably finding it tough to line up someone at this stage of the season.

Mind you I think it would be a pretty good job to take. Hodgson has completely destroyed the supporters' expectations so the new guy can't possibly do any worse.

I think Ancelotti has a better chance of survival than Houllier, but it seems to me that one or the other is likely to join Hodgson very soon, possibly even both. If Houllier doesn't win both the FA Cup match and the derby with Birmingham, he's surely toast.

I guess that makes sense. Still boring though. ;)

Friendlies are normally rubbish. In theory they should be interesting. Little at stake, so a team should take a few risks. But instead with little at stake, teams go through the motion. Football needs flow.

what happened to o'neal?

i would imagine he'd be the pick of the litter of free agent managers...

O'Neill clearly wouldn't be a fit for Villa having fallen out with Lerner, but he might be a fit for Liverpool. I imagine Chelsea would want to appoint another overseas, highly-credentialled manager. Rumours are that Avram Grant is also set for the chop, with Hereward to replace him....er, I mean, Allardyce or Hughton. Hughton's stock would probably be quite high for a medium-sized club, but I think Allardyce would be pigeonholed as a relegation firefighter.

Also, Whammers hate him for his role in getting their 2002-03 'too good to go down' side to do just that and have utterly unrealised aspirations of playing beautiful football that preclude his signing.

You cannot depress me today! There is no football for the foreseeable future.

If you ever need cheering up, just print out and carry an Ashes scorecard with you, H. ;)

O'Neill clearly wouldn't be a fit for Villa having fallen out with Lerner, but he might be a fit for Liverpool.

my point exactly.

I imagine Chelsea would want to appoint another overseas, highly-credentialled manager.

which overseas highly-credentialled managers are on the market?

i can't think of any off the top of my head.

Archived