Major League Baseball

Paxter

The Storm God is at fault. Boston doesn't lose without that rain delay.

Hard to say. Lester had already been removed from the game. It wasn't the rain delay that knocked him out.

Funny things just happen to Boston in rain delay games in Baltimore, I guess. It was after a rain delay where the Orioles pulled off the epic comeback from a 10-1 deficit to win 11-10. That game was amazing, but it doesn't hold a candle to what I saw last night.

The sense of finality to everything is what made last night probably the greatest win I've seen in my adult life. Which is a sad statement in and of itself, but whatever. The O's got to ride off triumphant into the night and Boston's playoff hopes were added to the homicide total in Baltimore. Game over, man. Season over. What a night.

So, I am a lifelong Red Sox fan and I did not want to post much here because its just a lot to commit to. But after watchin the heartless Red Sox complete the most memorable collapse in baseball history I felt obliged to mention the following:

It seems only fitting that it's the Red Sox who have participated in one of, if not, the greatest playoff comeback in MLB history, but they are also linked to one of, if not, the greatest, regular season collapse in route to a playoff berth...

Earlier this season, Derrick Jeter got his 3000 hit and I made the comment (probably not here) that I thought the media coverage was overblown - after all, I said, if Jeter played for Houston, nobody would care (btw- later Jim Thome hit his 600 HR... it was barely mentioned on ESPN).

That's because ESPN blows. But they're usually equal opportunists for Boston as well as New York. I'm a might surprised you're that miffed at this. :P

Tito is gone; Theo should be gone; please for the love of Christ somebody make Sweet Caroline go away. But one thing needs to go away FIRST: this idea that "as long as you put assess in the seats" you area successful franchise. Seriously: its all hollow when the stars you assembled choke... like THAT.

Tito? Is that what Francona's called there? I don't think I'd ever heard that. Frankly, if he isn't picked up by the Red Sox (and I think you're right, he probably won't be), he'd better go to the top of Tom Rickett's little list of potential managers that he'd like his new GM (whomever that is) speak to ASAP.

As for Theo: Really? Does Boston want rid of him? Ken Rosenthal this morning on the radio commented he didn't think there was any way Theo left Boston voluntarily now because he'll be on a mission to not have this season tarnish his legacy if he were to entertain other offers. If Boston doesn't want him, we'll certainly take him on the North Side.

Tito? Is that what Francona's called there? I don't think I'd ever heard that. Frankly, if he isn't picked up by the Red Sox (and I think you're right, he probably won't be), he'd better go to the top of Tom Rickett's little list of potential managers that he'd like his new GM (whomever that is) speak to ASAP.

Tito is what he prefers to be called.

And another issue I just heard brought up by Gammons is Francona's health. He's had health issues over the years including some sort of weird circulation thing. Gammons just seemed to imply that Francona didn't seem as lively all season.

Tito Francona is a famous ex-ballplayer. He is Terry Francona's father. Not sure why people are calling the son by the father's nickname.

ETA: Really??? He wants his father's nickname??? That seems strange.

2nd Edit: Apparently his agent calls him by that nickname - which wouldn't happen if he didn't approve. That is a bit creepy.

His father is the original Tito Francona.

I was ordered to bed at 11pm est for my health and sanity. I feel for Pedroia and Ellsbury more than anything else. Tampa deserves it, period.

On the other hand, that was quite the lineup the pinstripes finished with...

I know the Brewers announcers kept saying "It's Raining in Baltimore" which of course gets me thinking about the Counting Crows.....

Anyway...wow. What a crazy way to end the regular season? Wow. That is the most exciting day of baseball I have ever watched.

His father is the original Tito Francona.

I was ordered to bed at 11pm est for my health and sanity. I feel for Pedroia and Ellsbury more than anything else. Tampa deserves it, period.

On the other hand, that was quite the lineup the pinstripes finished with...

Yeah I think the worst thing is that Ellsbury is probably going to miss out on the MVP because the Sox didn't make the postseason.

Not that I am seeing anyone doing so here, but I don't think the Yankees are to blame in the slightest for pulling their starters in a game which meant nothing to them and in which they had a 7-0 lead.

There are plenty of organizations that would have given the starters the day of rest from the get-go.

Not that I am seeing anyone doing so here, but I don't think the Yankees are to blame in the slightest for pulling their starters in a game which meant nothing to them and in which they had a 7-0 lead.

There are plenty of organizations that would have given the starters the day of rest from the get-go.

I've seen some comments (not here) that they blew the 7 run lead intentionally, or that they should have started someone that wasn't a AAA pitcher. That was very quickly countered with.."or the Sox could have played .333 baseball in September and been able to rest their own starters".

Something not discussed yet...any thoughts on Reyes asking to be pulled after his first hit? Two minds of it...1) it's a big individual honor and his team wasn't going anywhere 2) suck it up and play the full game - unless you'd normally get pulled, take your swings and see what happens.

I've seen some comments (not here) that they blew the 7 run lead intentionally, or that they should have started someone that wasn't a AAA pitcher. That was very quickly countered with.."or the Sox could have played .333 baseball in September and been able to rest their own starters".

Or even better, "or Papelbon could have thrown strike three instead of a cookie and at least they'd have the chance to handle the Devil Rays themselves".

I am a Devil-free Rays denier, by the way. Obama was born in the US, but the baseball team in Northwest Florida has Devil in their name. Can't hear you if you object. La la la la la la la.

Or even better, "or Papelbon could have thrown strike three instead of a cookie and at least they'd have the chance to handle the Devil Rays themselves".

I am a Devil-free Rays denier, by the way. Obama was born in the US, but the baseball team in Northwest Florida has Devil in their name. Can't hear you if you object. La la la la la la la.

Can't blame Papelbon. He was just burnt out.

I know most baseball fans hate Braves' fans, but what in the seven hells did we do to deserve such an epic failure.... AGAIN! Well, at least it was in September this year instead of October. It truly sucks to be a fan of sports in Atlanta.

To make matters worse, I was gloomy from reading Jon 13 after work before the game started. Uggla cheered me up and Kimbrell made me retch like Tyrion did when Gregor caved Oberyn's face into the back of his skull. Just Fucking Awful ("JFA")

Who do you guys like in the Divisional Round?

I'll take Detroit over the Spanks in 5, Texas over the Rays in 4, Phils over the Cards in 4 and the Snakes over the Brewers in 5.

Yankees in 6

Rays in 7

Cards in 6

Brewers in 5

I know most baseball fans hate Braves' fans, but what in the seven hells did we do to deserve such an epic failure.... AGAIN!

Two words: Tomahawk Chop. Stop it. Just, stop it. For all that is holy and right, stop it.

Archived