Major League Baseball

Paxter

This is maybe the best last night of a baseball regular season ever.

Rays just tied it up. After the Cards win, the Sox are in stasis, and the Braves are in the bottom of the 11th to stay alive.

I'm going to have to agree.

ETA: As a fan of the STILL current World Champion Giants, and with no dog in this hunt,

this is the most relaxing night of intense baseball I've experienced, possibly ever.

Wow. Just wow.

Yes, I got back out of bed just to post that. But Jesus christ did the Orioles make it intense in the end. Then ESPN moved the coverage from some despondent Red Sox footage to an epic Tampa at bat.

BOOM!

And like that it was over.

So, I am a lifelong Red Sox fan and I did not want to post much here because its just a lot to commit to. But after watchin the heartless Red Sox complete the most memorable collapse in baseball history I felt obliged to mention the following:

Earlier this season, Derrick Jeter got his 3000 hit and I made the comment (probably not here) that I thought the media coverage was overblown - after all, I said, if Jeter played for Houston, nobody would care (btw- later Jim Thome hit his 600 HR... it was barely mentioned on ESPN).

But them,watching perpetually shell-shocked Carl Crawford complete his... memorable ... 2011 season by booting a fly ball... I realized something: What happened to the Red Sox in 2011 would have never - EVER - happened to the Yankees with Derrick Jeter as Captain. EVER. Watching the rudderless, hapless, heartless Red Sox sputter like mad to their eventual demise was strangely justifiable and acceptable given the pathetic nature of their players. Francona will be gone (the team has to decide whether or not to pick up his 2-year option) but frankly it won't be enough. Its not so much what we need to get rid of or add; its a cultural imperative that needs to change. Jeter - and players like him -never allow their team to implode like THAT! They step up; they hold themselves and others accountable. Not so with the Red Sox 2011. Nobody- stepped up. These players were too fat (*cough*JoshBeckett*cough*) too happy, too rich and too utterly overwhelmed by the stage (Carl Crawford played all of 2011 with the same look in his eyes as that kid who got tasered when he ran across the field last season; try watching THAT for 162 games) to care about their heart. Say what you will about Bill Buckner or Bobby Doer or Tim "Slow Pitch" Wakefield or Dwight Evans or any in a long line of Red Sox "failures"; those guys- AT LEAST - had some heart. They cared. They wanted to do their best even in the face of overwhelming failure. Not 2011 Sox. Nope. They just wanted... to get paid.

Tito is gone; Theo should be gone; please for the love of Christ somebody make Sweet Caroline go away. But one thing needs to go away FIRST: this idea that "as long as you put assess in the seats" you area successful franchise. Seriously: its all hollow when the stars you assembled choke... like THAT.

And one last thing: Congratulations to a team with true heart, the Tampa Bay Rays who's "never say die" attitude was really inspiring. Just a great bunch of guys (with 1/4 the payroll as the Sox) who buckled up and said, "Lets go win 75% of our games NO MATTER WHAT happens!" They are as good and as praise-worthy as the Red Sox have been bad and shameful.

Now, if you will excuse me I'm going to (BA BA BAHHHH) write a letter to the Red Sox begging them to expunge Sweet Caroline from all Red Sox games.

Tito is gone; Theo should be gone; please for the love of Christ somebody make Sweet Caroline go away. But one thing needs to go away FIRST: this idea that "as long as you put assess in the seats" you area successful franchise. Seriously: its all hollow when the stars you assembled choke... like THAT.

If Tito is gone, that is a shame. Theo's talent evaluation team is where a lot of eyes need to go. Unfortunately, since the higher ups get to make the "can't be my fault, must be the manager" decisions, there is a strong chance Tito is gone. And even with the 7-20 hanging on his head, he will be picked up faster than the prom queen that just got dumped by her boyfriend.

As a Red Sox fan, I'm happy they lost. Yeha, it's kind of hard to say, but they just really didn't deserve to be in the postseason. This season had been a complete clusterfuck from start to finish.

All I'm really interested in right now if what's going to happen to Theo and Tito.

With Chicago passing Ozzie off to the Marlins I wonder if that makes it even more attractive to Theo. They could bring him in and let him pick his own manager. Tito obviously will get a job somewhere.

I just don't really know who to blame. It's easy to say that Theo is largely at fault. All the way back in February he outlined the weaknesses of he team (pitching) and yet nothing was really done to address these problems. He's brought in shitty expensive free agents (Crawford and Lackey) that almost certainly had a negative VORP.

I think the problem is, and has been since Theo came in, we just really don't know how responsible he is for free agent signings. Historically his trades have actually been pretty good, I just really wonder how much say he has over big free agent signing.

The Crawford signing in particular just strikes me as a move by ownership to show fans that they were still invested in the team after buying Liverpool.

Tito is pretty damn hard. Probably the best manager Boston has ever had, he brought in two World Series, fans and players love him. Yet he presided over one of the worst collapses in MLB history. It's easy to say that certain things were out of his control, he doesn't sign the players and he can't exactly just tell Lackey to pitch better. But I just don't know how he survives a collapse of this magnitude.

Archived