Cersei and her ill-fitting gowns.

LadyoftheNorth72

"Problem is the last time her and Jaime did the deed she was on her period. Meaning no pregnancy."

Actually you can still get pregnant while you are having your period, that is a myth. I'm assuming that human reproduction is the same in Martin's world.

Small possibility if Cersei has a shorter than average cycle, closer to 20-22 days. If she does, and also ovulates very early in her cycle, and they have sex towards the end of her period then it is possible as sperm can live up to three days. Lots of variables. However, I'm not sure Martin would think about it in this much detail.

I still don't think she is pregnant.

I agree that it was likely just weight gain, but I'm guessing that if anything, she's maybe actually on the too thin side at the moment after her imprisonment ordeal.

There is also to consider what Cersei being pregnant would bring to the story. It would serve as proof that she was guilty of adultery? She has already confessed to as much. Beyond that, her trial will long have been over by the time she will have started to show. The other possibility is that her being pregnant with another man's child would cause Jaime to finally lose it and kill her. But, truthfully, I already think he has reached that point. Certainly the death of Tommen and/or Myrcella would do enough to bring him over the edge. Cersei being pregnant just seems superfluous to the extreme.

Maggy says that her and the king she marries will have three children for her. She didn't say anything about after.

Maggy doesn't say that. She says this:

http://www.westeros....ies/Entry/1827/

"Will the king and I have children?" she asked.

"Oh' date=' aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you."[/quote']

Robert was going to have 16 children. Cersei was going to have 3. No more, no less.

Robert was going to have 16 children. Cersei was going to have 3. No more, no less.

Who says the prophecy has to be correct? I think if she were pregnant again, that would be her "oh shit" moment, and she might start to suspect her valonqar might not be Tyrion.

Generally I agree that it is nice to see a series where characters are not all slender Elvish beauties. I have had a few issues, though, with the fact that GRRM seems to follow the general societal tradition that if a man is fat, it could mean many things (extreme wealth, poor health) whereas if a woman is fat it seems to indicate some general failing in her as a person (lackwit Lollys, vain cruel Lysa, greedy Fat Walda, battleaxe Aunt Gennna). Just once I would like to see a character with all of Dany's ambition, Sansa's sweetness, Genna's intelligence, and Cat's loyalty in the person of a reasonably young woman who is chunky and could care less.

Exactly! Like a female Sam.

I agree that it was likely just weight gain, but I'm guessing that if anything, she's maybe actually on the too thin side at the moment after her imprisonment ordeal.

I guess it would depend on how long she was imprisoned?

Regarding the dead chick in the egg and that she'll have 3 children, there is the possibility that she is indeed pregnant, but that the child will be stillborn, or that they will both die during childbirth (hence Cersei will die by due to the Valonquar, the little brother/sister).

She can be easily gaining weight due her lifestyle and then go pregnant. When was the last time she slept with any Kettleblack?

Actually Asha's though abut not having time to make moon tea due her imprisonment may be a clue about Cersei's situation.

Keep in mind now, this is woman who has been pregnant at least four separate times, counting the time she had Robert Baratheon's child terminated. I think it reasonable to assume that she would be cognizant of being pregnant if she was. And for what it's worth, I doubt she is overweight anymore either given what she's been through recently.

No, I don't think she would necessarily be cognizant. She has given no indication that she is worried about becoming pregnant, but we were not given any hints that she is taking precautions to avoid getting pregnant. We do know that she believes in Maggy's prophesy, a prophesy she mostly forgot until Joffrey died. I think it would be quite in keeping with her character to believe that she cannot have any more children = cannot get pregnant because of the prophesy, not counting the aborted pregnancy. And she was quite preoccupied in her POV chapters.

I don't know if she is pregnant, or not. I don't think it matters. She'd just have another abortion.

Longer that that. I've seen several sources mention as long as 5 to 7 days in a woman's body.

Still leaves a bunch of IFs when it comes to Jaime as the father. It may be possible but the odds would be slim and I doubt Martin would have thought it out quite this much. If she is pregnant, someone else is the father. But, I still don't think she is.

Agreed.

That said, the story's coming to its conclusion and we may not have that many months to go. If she's found to be pregnant, then things could turn south very quickly, such that the prophesy could be fulfilled and she killed before she comes to term (thereby limiting her number of children to three).

I love the idea of her being pregnant. Just as she's overcome her enemies and surmounted her obstacles, she's destroyed by her own weakness, scuppered by the fact that she couldn't be self-disciplined enough to stay celibate until everything settled down, destroyed by the fact that her ego and self-confidence made her believe that she was beyond reproach and could effectively do what she wanted.

Fat? No, that's nowhere near exciting enough. Besides, she's just spent some time in the Great Sept, presumably on very meagre rations, and any excesses would have been reversed.

That said, she did walk the town naked and bare - it's not as though she can hide anything...

Genna has been mentionned, Miranda Royce also seemed pretty good to me, much more so than, I don't know, I'm afraid of shadows, have self-confidence issues that makes the Others not so important anymore and an inferiority complex that would shock even KL's Sansa Sam...

If she were pre-menopausal, and having irregular cycles, she might have ovulated extremely early. If Jamie has super-sturdy sperm, one might possibly have survived long enough to fertilise the very early egg, and there's a tiny chance she'd have adequate cervical lining for successful implantation.

But unless GRRM has an extremely good knowledge of women's cycles, and was trying to trick us, the greater likelihood is that the mention of moon blood during her and Jamie's encounter was to indicate her lack of fertility (since 99.9% of the time, a woman would not be fertile at that time), and she's just gotten a bit wine-bloated.

But unless GRRM has an extremely good knowledge of women's cycles, and was trying to trick us, the greater likelihood is that the mention of moon blood during her and Jamie's encounter was to indicate her lack of fertility (since 99.9% of the time, a woman would not be fertile at that time), and she's just gotten a bit wine-bloated.

:agree: The mention of Cersei being on her moon blood during the twins' tryst over Joff's dead body may have been just for the "GAWD these two are disgusting" factor, or it could have been Uncle George's way of ruling Jaime out as the father of Cersei's new baby. (I don't think she's pregnant, but if she is, this is a good way to establish a little more drama in the Jaime/Cersei/Kettlebacks/Lancel/MoonboyForAllIKnow love polygon.)

Who says the prophecy has to be correct? I think if she were pregnant again, that would be her "oh shit" moment, and she might start to suspect her valonqar might not be Tyrion.

She doesn't have to be pregnant for her to suspect Tyrion might not be the valonqar. Jaime is technically her younger brother. She doesn't suspect him only because they are lovers. His actions as of late are enough for her to suspect Jaime isn't entirely on her side anymore.

Archived