Is Aegon VI fake?

ReekRhimesWithSneak

Aegon is meant to be five when Connington gets him. So long as the child is within about a year of that, given that Connington is not a man who has close experience of children, that should be good enough. If the child is a bit on the small or large size for his age -reasonable explanations can be provided, the key here is that Connington wants to believe, he needs a cause, he wants to do something for Rhaeger.

As for features Aurene Waters was meant to have looked like Rhaeger (despite as far as we know not being his son), and if Aegon is a Blackfyre he probably has enough targaryen features to pass.

It's not as though Connington has a handy portrait of Rhaeger or other targaryens that he can compare Aegon to. The lad just has to look reasonably convincing (Though Conningotn on the tower top seems to have a moment of doubt at least over Aegon's manner). The problem is going to be when other people familiar with the Targaryens come in to contact with him, like Pycelle - oh but he's dead how inconvenient! Or Barristan and Jaime.

All of which brings back the other recurring question: How come they managed to convince Jon Connington that way too young baby was Aegon? And how come Jon Connington wasn´t able to add two and two and realize that there was something fishy about that "Aegon" who was two or three years too young and looked a lot like Illyrio and nothing at all like Rhaegar or Elia? Real people aren´t like anime characters; eye and hair colour aren´t the only important features.

not to mention why further fuel an guys paranoia?

All of which brings back the other recurring question: How come they managed to convince Jon Connington that way too young baby was Aegon? And how come Jon Connington wasn´t able to add two and two and realize that there was something fishy about that "Aegon" who was two or three years too young and looked a lot like Illyrio and nothing at all like Rhaegar or Elia? Real people aren´t like anime characters; eye and hair colour aren´t the only important features.

"Aegon" wasn't a baby when Connington met him. He was a young child, in the 5-years-old range. As Lummel said, a guy not used to being around children wouldn't be that great of a judge of a kid's age, and Connington wanted to believe that "Aegon" was real.

To kind of expand a little on the physical traits aspect, it's possible that a Blackfyre descendant would look just as, if not more, "Valyrian" as a trueborn Targaryen. Both Daemon Blackfyre and Daeron II had two full-Targ parents, but Daeron didn't marry his sister. Maekar probably didn't marry his sister, and nor did Aegon V or Jaehaerys II (they married for love). After Aegon IV and Naerys, there wasn't another brother-sister match that contributed to the main line until Aerys II and Rhaella. If the Blackfyres married amongst themselves like the Targs did and/or married into Valyrian-looking houses in Essos, absolutely they would have the physical traits necessary to pass themselves off as Targaryens.

But... with Dany alive... isn't she a good match for Aegon VI / YG ?

It really fits

I mean, Illyrio DID arrange for JonCon caravan to reach dany and propose the marriage (now that she's survived all the dothraki sea / qarth / desert dangers, AND hatched dragons).

I feel butterflies in my stomach, I may finally make peace with the illyrio/varys deal!!!!!

Near as I can tell, Dany's main use here would be to shore up "Aegon's" legitimacy. If she says he's a Targaryen, people would probably believe it. But if Aegon can convince the Westerosi nobles that he's legitimate, he wouldn't technically need Dany anymore. His claim, if he's real, is superior to hers and he'd have more to gain by marrying a paramount family's daughter (Arianne Martell or even Sansa) than he would by marrying Dany.

For a start, he probably isn't 2 or three years too young. Tyrion is a bad estimator of age - he guessed Jon to be 12 when he was 14 for example.

Secondly we don't know that he looks 'nothing at all like Rhaegar or Elia'. Tyrion thinks he looks a bit like the statue, but there is plenty of room for that to be true and to look a bit like Rhaegar or Elia.

A baby switch would not be super difficult, because the Red Keep is full of secret passages. The switch could have occurred with a guard outside the door unbeknownst to them. Elia could even have maintained regular visits with Aegon if he were kept in some secret room in the Keep...

I don't think they're ever going to confirm it, and it's just going to end up one of those details that the player can theorise and conspiracise about.

Maybe not, but we could get more information from Barristan as well as further opinions from tyrion as the story moves on. Dany will have to come to terms at some point with Aegon. Hard to imagine that she will be impressed at the story of a long lost relative that Illyrio was keeping secret from her and her brother.

Maybe not, but we could get more information from Barristan as well as further opinions from tyrion as the story moves on. Dany will have to come to terms at some point with Aegon. Hard to imagine that she will be impressed at the story of a long lost relative that Illyrio was keeping secret from her and her brother.

This post brings up an excellent point that I had never considered before. What IS Dany going to make of the fact that she lived in Illyrio's house for so long, watched/listened to him encouraging Viserys in his dreams of conquest, and yet all that time, had Aegon under wraps. At bare minimum (and assuming she accepts Aegon as real) I would imagine she will be furious at being kept from knowledge of her only remaining blood relative.

I want him to be real but if he is fake could he possibly be a descendant of Aerion Targareyan? Does anyone know if Prince Aerion fathered any children during his exile in Lys?

He did.

An infant son that was passed over in the succession supposedly for his Fathers madness.

• 4 weeks later...

[MOD]

There are three current threads dealing with whether the truth or otherwise of Young Griff's claim to Aegon.

I have made the arbitrary decision to leave the one with the most recent post active and this one is therefore closed.

[/MOD]

Archived