Ser Duncan the Tall

Ser Tom Tarly

I definitely believe that Dunk was an ancestor of Brienne. Why else would the old shield be in Tarth?

I think ultimately there are 8 D&E books planned. I had hoped the She-Wolves of Winterfell would be out before Christmas. Oh well, I have 4 books of short stories to read since I had to buy seperate anthologies to get the D&E tales.

what happened in 13 years??? 2 more books from asoiaf, some Brienne chapters, and 2 Dunk & Egg novellas

Yes but he'd already created Dunk and Brienne. So he knew about the connection then, stated that we would meet a descendant/descendants, why would he decide to say more? Given how famous he is for playing his cards close to the chest.

Telling me that he might have said something is different to proving that he did.

Don't know if this counts as evidence, but thought it is quite a nice parallel between to two.

That is a nice parallel! I definitely think that counts as evidence. It seems to me he is very deliberate about how he words everything. The shield, and the fact that it's not only there at her home, but Brienne finds it, and all these characteristic things like you pointed out above.

°at the beginning of the series (in 298 after Aegon), Old Nan is 100 years old (at LEAST. 'cause there's no way Martin will show us a Dunk in love with a 12-13 years old girl). i'm sorry, i know she's old, but no way she is THAT old.

°if she's younger - let's say 95, 96 or 97 (i don't believe it, but let's say i can accept that as an assumption) it means she's 11,12, 13 years old that time. and not only she's mature enough to be a Dunk love interest, but what's more important, she has already had children, 'cause now she is a nurse.

I remember Ned saying that she was called Old Nan when he was a child. If she was old then I dont think it is so rediculous that she is over 100. Lets say she was 65 back then, when story starts Ned is what, like 35, then you can see she is easily 100.

• 6 months later...

Fireball made his wife join the silent sisters when he thought he was going to get a spot in the kingsguard. I don't see why Dunk being in the KG precludes the possibility of him having married before joining. I severely doubt he would have sent his wife off, but she may have died... I think it's entirely possible that he had some non-bastard children, and that Egg might have granted them some land and titles somewhere. Why not on Tarth? And once a kid of his is a noble on Tarth it's easy to imagine some circumstance where they end up marrying into the Lord's family. Perhaps to a younger child whose older brothers die, and unexpectedly becomes the heir.

I also like the ideas about Drink and Duck. Even their names are similar to Dunk.

Another parallel between Dunk and Brienne is the fact that neither were officially knighted but both joined a King's Guard (White or Rainbow cloaks :P)

Sandor fits in this exclusive club as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another little snippet to support Hodor being the descendant of Duncan the tall. Dunk doesn't know his real name and Theon says about Hodor that 'he doesn't know much, but he certainly knows his name' (or something along those lines - I don't have my book with me). Funnily enough, as Hodor is actually called Walder (or something...) it appears he doesn't know his name either....

I believe most of us have heard that rumour going on that Martin spoke once of four Dunk's descendants (three male and a female), as Ravenhair already mentioned, but does anyone have a link to that? cause I've been looking for ages but haven't found something....

This is mentioned all over the place but the only mention of a descendant of Dunk's is when GRRM says you will see one in AFFC. Nowhere does it say 4 and nobody seems to be able to find anything to corroborate this. Why is it still discussed? We know there is one per GRRM but why 4????

This is mentioned all over the place but the only mention of a descendant of Dunk's is when GRRM says you will see one in AFFC. Nowhere does it say 4 and nobody seems to be able to find anything to corroborate this. Why is it still discussed? We know there is one per GRRM but why 4????

Who was Dunk's descendant in AFFC?

Who was Dunk's descendant in AFFC?

To my knowledge no one has actually been confirmed as a Dunk relative. As to someone earlier mentioning Gregor, that's just sacrilege.

edt: Just an FYI the only thing I could find on the SSM is kinda vague.

Sorry found a better one here

So unless Tarth is the decendents of bastards I doubt he is related to her.

Thats what we think and why wouldn't it be an illegitimate descent? As far as we know he never married although its possible.

The shield is the clue, combined wither Brienne's traits, she is the only definite one so far.

Pod has Dunk-like traits but maybe GRRM just likes those traits.

P.S.: Old Nan cannot be the girl in Bran vision. The one that kisses Dunk, i mean. I'm sure she will be, as a young girl, in the next story, yes, but she can't be the one that kisses Dunk, 'cause her biography does not match :)

I'd like to think the girl in Bran's vision is Tanselle too tall.

Martin only confirmed that a descendant of Dunk would be revealed in AFFC.

so spake martin:

http://www.westeros....Tour_Dayton_OH/

http://www.westeros....ning_San_Diego/

also on Dunks wiki

George R. R. Martin announced that a descendant of Dunk would be revealed in A Feast for Crows. Given that Brienne explains how she found his shield in the armories of Tarth, it is widely speculated she is a descended from Duncan the Tall.[20][21]

Martin only confirmed that a descendant of Dunk would be revealed in AFFC.

so spake martin:

http://www.westeros....Tour_Dayton_OH/

http://www.westeros....ning_San_Diego/

also on Dunks wiki

George R. R. Martin announced that a descendant of Dunk would be revealed in A Feast for Crows. Given that Brienne explains how she found his shield in the armories of Tarth, it is widely speculated she is a descended from Duncan the Tall.[20][21]

I realize all that. My question is why is everyone talking specifically about 4 descendants? I see 4 everywhere however never an official mention. Where did 4 come from?? Whenever anyone asks this question it seems to get glossed over but seems to a fairly significant rumor.

I realize all that. My question is why is everyone talking specifically about 4 descendants? I see 4 everywhere however never an official mention. Where did 4 come from?? Whenever anyone asks this question it seems to get glossed over but seems to a fairly significant rumor.

That is why I posted the links I did... The all say Martin confirmed a descendant. This doesn't mean there are not more.. But I cannot find a single mention in SSM or anywhere else for that matter of GRRM confirming more.

Archived