April's What Are You Reading Thread

Bran's Muffin

Just Finished: The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson, Sound And The Fury, William Faulkner.

Right now, I'm doing a re-read of Trinity by Leon Uris. Following it is probably going to be Kite Runner, and after that, I am not to sure. Maybe something by Hemingway.

The Rum Diary was an interesting book. No masterpiece by any means, but I loved it nonetheless. I'm still working on getting what I can out of Sound And The Fury. Trinity I've always enjoyed, and it's been awhile since I read it, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Lord Stark;

The Sunne In Splendour is really good. It covers alot of time in a relatively short amount of pages, so it seems a bit rushed in parts, but the final scenes at Bosworth make up for it. It's very entertaining, and SKP seemed to do pretty good research(I'm not yet earning a degree in it, so I'm not sure if it's all precise), but it is fiction, so she took artistic license quite a bit, especially with some bits regarding Edward IV's mistresses and whatnot (again, this statement is not based on extensive knowledge of the topic). It's a great book, and a must if you enjoy medieval history.

Just Finished: The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson, Sound And The Fury, William Faulkner.

The Rum Diary was an interesting book. No masterpiece by any means, but I loved it nonetheless. I'm still working on getting what I can out of Sound And The Fury.

Loved both those books. Especially Sound and the Fury - although that's not even my favorite Faulkner - Sanctuary has that honor.

I'm still trying to finish Heart of Darkness - but I just haven't had any time. It upsets me - normally a book that size I'd be done with in a couple of days, but now its been weeks and weeks. :unsure:

Just finished: Anansi Boys. Didn't like it at all in the beginning, but after a few chapters it was fine. I think it is majorly flawed (Gaiman never really finds his voice) but sometimes brilliant. I was disappointed because I didn't connect with the main character at all in the beginning. He was a non-person, much like Shadow in American Gods. Now, for Shadow there was a reason that he was a non-person, and his ghost girlfriend even remarked about that. But Charles Nancy? Well, it turns out Fat Charlie is lacking the characterization department for a reason as well, so Gaiman does this on purpose. It's a feature, not a flaw. Still, it made it hard for me to get into the book.

Next book: Vellum by Hal Duncan. My local bookshop happened to order a first, signed edition for me, too! A nice surprise.

On the iPod: Feast for Crows. 4th re-read or so, and (still) Effi Briest by Theodor Fontane.

Bed-time reading for my children: Harry Potter og fønixordenen by JK Rowling.

The Rum Diary was an interesting book. No masterpiece by any means, but I loved it nonetheless.

I enjoyed the Rum Diary. I think it's made more interesting by the fact that he was only 22 or something when he wrote it. I love the fact that he tries to copy Hemingway's style but a bit of the HST craziness still seeps in

I'm reading Lions of Al-Rassan, my first foray into GGK's work, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. I was a little thrown by the fact his Jaddite knights use the prefix Ser. In any case, it's well written with some memorable characters.

I'm also reading a recent translation of the Iliad that I like a lot more than the Lattimore version I read in college and I'll start Erikson later this month.

I'm still reading Miéville, Perdido Street Station, and I'm still not sure I like it. Somehow I feel reminded of "Amadeus" and the "too many notes" remark, only that the books has a bit "too many words" for me. (And I hope I can blame the translation that the prose doesn't sound as good as it probably should.)

(And I hope I can blame the translation that the prose doesn't sound as good as it probably should.)

:sick: The idea of translated Mieville seems a bit distasteful. His weird prose lends a whole lot to the books' feel, even though it ends up being almost corny or silly in a few botched places. I really don't think it would translate well at all - it would either be boring, losing most of the flavor, or seem corny and botched much more often.

Reading the entire Miles Vorkosigan series for the second time. Just finished Komarr. :unsure:

:sick: The idea of translated Mieville seems a bit distasteful. His weird prose lends a whole lot to the books' feel, even though it ends up being almost corny or silly in a few botched places. I really don't think it would translate well at all - it would either be boring, losing most of the flavor, or seem corny and botched much more often.

Sure, but the local library doesn't have many English science-fiction books, and I can not buy blindly all books I could/might like to read. The worst is that the publishing house is one with the reputation of making "cheap" books. They have already butchered Rankin (and I hate them for it :tantrum:), so I blame part of my indifference on the translation.

Archived