Truly scary novels

Lordwalker28

Greetings Horror fans,

I was about to start a thread bemoaning the lack of good new horror novels, then I found this one.

Anyways, here are three of the scariest books I've read recently.

Breed by Chase Novak. Reading this, I was reminded of an old Stephen King quote about being a parent and trying not to kill your kids. But in this case, it's more about being a parent and trying not to eat your kids. Highly original, deeply unsettling, this is one of my favourite books of all time.

Alex and Leslie Twisden told each other they would do anything to have children. The price didn’t matter. But the experimental procedure they found had costs they couldn’t foresee.

Adam and Alice Twisden’s lives seem perfectly normal. Except that, every night, without fail, their parents lock them into their rooms.

And the twins know that the sounds they can hear are not just their imagination. They’re real. And they’re getting louder...

From a new name in horror, Breed is a stunning thriller in the vein of Rosemary’s Baby, brilliantly written, daring, and unforgettable

The Ritual by Adam Nevill. This one's more traditional. Starts out as a straight-up man versus nature story, before unfolding into something altogether more terrifying. Highly recommended.

When four old University friends set off into the Scandinavian wilderness of the Arctic Circle, they aim to briefly escape the problems of their lives and reconnect with one another. But when Luke, the only man still single and living a precarious existence, finds he has little left in common with his well-heeled friends, tensions rise. With limited experience between them, a shortcut meant to ease their hike turns into a nightmare scenario that could cost them their lives. Lost, hungry, and surrounded by forest untouched for millennia, Luke figures things couldn’t possibly get any worse. But then they stumble across an old habitation. Ancient artefacts decorate the walls and there are bones scattered upon the dry floors. The residue of old rites and pagan sacrifice for something that still exists in the forest. Something responsible for the bestial presence that follows their every step. As the four friends stagger in the direction of salvation, they learn that death doesn’t come easy among these ancient trees . . .

Southern Gods by John Hornor Jacobs. Atmospheric gothic horror, set in the deep south. Dark and gritty, the ending is definitely not for the faint-hearted.

Recent World War II veteran Bull Ingram is working as muscle when a Memphis DJ hires him to find Ramblin’ John Hastur. The mysterious blues man’s dark, driving music–broadcast at ever-shifting frequencies by a phantom radio station–is said to make living men insane and dead men rise. Disturbed and enraged by the bootleg recording the DJ plays for him, Ingram follows Hastur’s trail into the strange, uncivilized backwoods of Arkansas, where he hears rumors the musician has sold his soul to the Devil. But as Ingram closes in on Hastur and those who have crossed his path, he’ll learn there are forces much more malevolent than the Devil and reckonings more painful than Hell...

You can try reading older works, some short stories by M.R. James are really good, and Allan Poe too.

I've never read a book that was scary, most horror is just shocking. I like Joe Hill's works very much for example, but there is nothing scary about them.

Tricky one. Off the top of my head I'd suggest:

The House Next Door - Anne Rivers Siddons

'Salem's Lot - Stephen King

The Doll That Ate His Mother - Ramsey Campbell

The Books of Blood - Clive Barker (short stories)

The Woman in Black - Susan Hill (much better than the film)

Heart Shaped Box- Joe Hill

Afraid- Jack Kilborn

The Exorcist- William Peter Blatty(you've probably seen the movie and the two are almost identical)

One for the Road- Stephen King short story in Night Shift

The Mist- S.K. In Skeleton Crew

Night Flier- S.K. In Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Nice, Spockydog. Upon completion of my current reading regimen (which is just the long-awaited Dune series -- the Frank Herbert ones, anyway), I had intended to dive into some serious horror, since I've never really tried it before.

I'm fairly new to the horror genre, though I've become a fan of extreme-splatter pulp writer Edward Lee. But his writings are more like black comedy/satire to me than actually scary.

I've never read Stephen King, but I was thinking of reading Salem's Lot. Should I?

You've probably read this by now, but for anyone else who hasn't read 'salem's Lot, try to read it around October, when the leaves are turning and the air turns crisp. King really is great at evoking a New England town in autumn, and the shorter days will add to your terror.

BWAAAAUAHAAHAHAHAHH!

:P

You've probably read this by now, but for anyone else who hasn't read 'salem's Lot, try to read it around October, when the leaves are turning and the air turns crisp. King really is great at evoking a New England town in autumn, and the shorter days will add to your terror.

BWAAAAUAHAAHAHAHAHH!

:P

I read 'Salem's Lot when I was about twelve. It was my first Stephen King book. I finished it sometime after midnight. Not just because it was a page turner, but because I didn't dare turn the lights off. I now have a bookshelf full of his books.

Archived