Your favorite Houses, great and small

OberynBlackfyre

Just a thread for people to gush over their favorite families. But please be knowledgeable about the Families history and what not, just so people can learn more if they ask :)

Favorite Great Houses: Targaryen, Stark, Martell

Small houses: Blackfyre, Blackwood, Dayne

But long live house Blackfyre!!

Favorite Great Houses: Stark and Lannister.. How can you not love the Lannisters, they're so deliciously evil.

Favorite Minor Houses: Glover and Daynes of Starfall, Glover because they declared for Stannis and never declared for the Boltons, Daynes of Starfall and not High Hermitage because I'm specifically excluding Darkdouche, GRRM said Arthur Dayne with Dawn was the best fighter ever, and Edric Dayne is going to pop back in the story with the same blade and wreak some havoc on Lady Stoneheart, who stole the Brotherhood Without Banners from him. At least I hope GRRM didn't forget about him.

Favorite Great Houses: Stark and Lannister.. How can you not love the Lannisters, they're so deliciously evil.

Favorite Minor Houses: Glover and Daynes of Starfall, Glover because they declared for Stannis and never declared for the Boltons, Daynes of Starfall and not High Hermitage because I'm specifically excluding Darkdouche, GRRM said Arthur Dayne with Dawn was the best fighter ever, and Edric Dayne is going to pop back in the story with the same blade and wreak some havoc on Lady Stoneheart, who stole the Brotherhood Without Banners from him. At least I hope GRRM didn't forget about him.

I enjoy the Daynes, and truly hope that Edric comes back into play

Favourite Great House: STARK.

I won't write why I love the Stark's because that would be one LONG post.

Favourite Minor Houses: Manderly, Reed and Dayne.

I feel like Manderly's and Reeds' badarsery don't get appreciated enough by the fandom. It's sad. And I also believe these two House's will play a key role in the North in the next two books to come. Not to mention they've each got their unique history/traditions that set them apart. Crannongmen culture sounds so interesting, and Manderly's are sort of "outsiders" due to their origins, yet identify themselves with the North and they're fiercely loyal to it.

I'm curious about House Dayne if nothing else. Ashara Dayne remains a mystery to me, as well as Arthur's death (we know Howland saved Eddard from him but HOW?!) and I really like Ned Dayne. I hope he survives the serie. I'm also very fond of House Dayne's sigil and Dawn.

I'm 99.9% sure that's not a true statement.

Great Houses: Martell, Targaryen, Stark, Tyrell (in that order).

Small Houses: Dayne of Starfall, Royce, Glover, Manwoody (Dickon Manwoody. Heh.), Yronwood, Baelish, Manderly, Mallister (in no particular order).

I'm 99.9% sure that's not a true statement.

I wasn't including knights like Aemon the Dragonknight or Daemon Blackfyre or Symeon Star-Eyes because we haven't seen them fight and I'm basically just including people who have been in the actual series.. Arthur Dayne being in a dream sequence is kinda iffy but he's had such an impact on other characters that he should count.
September 02, 2011

THE SWORD OF THE MORNING VS. BARRISTAN THE BOLD

[NOTE: This is from private correspondence without the usual header information we use to verify. However, a screenshot of the message can be seen here, with the name of the respondee redacted.]

Who would win in a fight, Barristan Selmy or Arthur Dayne (in their best days)?

Dayne... if he was armed with Dawn.

If both men had equivalent weaponry, it might be a toss-up.

Great Houses: Starks, Targaryens (their crazy amuses me), but most of all the Lannisters, because they're just so awful. Seriously. They're so awful! I'll be rereading the books, and I'll be all "Damn, that was awful!" Their awfulness entertains me, I guess.

Minor Houses: Daynes (except for Gerold), Mormonts (except for Jorah)

Archived