What Are You Listening To? Part VIII: It's Not Noise, It's Music!

Durckad

The National's new album, Trouble will Find Me is excellent. I was first introduced to the band after watching the film Warrior, and then re-introduced after forgetting about them when they did the Rains of Castamere for "Blackwater". I really love their work, and their new album is no exception.

I've been listening to the National's latest too. It's a great listen, but I too think it will take some time to grow on me. The first five songs stood out to me, probably because I had already listened to three of them on youtube before, but after "Sea of Love" it's all still a big blur for me. Of that blur, "I Need My Girl" is probably the one that stood out the most to me.

I've also been listening to Vampire Weekend's "Modern Vampires of the City". It's really good. I fell in love immediately with "Ya Hey". "Step" and "Diane Young" also stand out, though again, probably because they had already been released on youtube. From the rest, I'm finding "Hannah Hunt" to be growing on me.

Regarding Vampire Weekend, I daresay Hannah Hunt is their best song. It's a masterpiece.

It pissed off some catholics, who described Bowie as a "bisexual senior citizen from London." I think they meant it contemptuously, but I don't quite see how that's an insult. :dunno:

Yeah, the terms in the quote are everything I aspire to. :-)

Also, put me down as another fan of "Hannah Hunt".

More music:

Miami 2017 as rec'd by Paxter earlier in this thread. See? See?! Sci cares about the music you love....

Quiet night in tonight so I put on Down in Albion by Babyshambles for the first time in years. I haven't listened to it for the longest time because there's so much emotion and memory wrapped up in it for me.

Good memories - I made some of the best friends of my life because of The Libertines/Babyshambles.

Bad memories - I saw firsthand the complete disintegration of a person, and a band, in the most awful fashion. Drugs are for mugs!

8 years later and I'm convinced that it will be looked back on as a flawed masterpiece in years to come. Worth a serious listen on a good set of speakers.

Edit: This album is so good. There's nothing else out there which sounds remotely like it.

Finally got around to listening to the xx after a friend recommended them to me, and they are quite great. I quite adore the first album, they have a sort of minimalistic approach to most of their songs ( which makes sense given that it's just the three of them). I'll probably get around to the second album soon enough.

Finally got around to listening to the xx after a friend recommended them to me, and they are quite great. I quite adore the first album, they have a sort of minimalistic approach to most of their songs ( which makes sense given that it's just the three of them). I'll probably get around to the second album soon enough.

Another XX fan !!!

Been listening to Exitmusics album , Passage , it's got a great amount of natural sounds combined with some gothic elements , I thoroughly enjoy it and recommend them :)

Especially the City , that's a great driving song !!

Girl With One Eye by Florence + the machine has also been replayed a lot on my iPod as well :)

Slowdive's second album Souvlaki, now recognised as a masterpiece (Exile on Main Street fashion) by the same critics who slated it at the time. A better album, in my current opinion, than My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, though that may change in time.

Slowdive's second album Souvlaki, now recognised as a masterpiece (Exile on Main Street fashion) by the same critics who slated it at the time. A better album, in my current opinion, than My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, though that may change in time.

Oh yes, the music of my youth. Slowdive is still one of my favourite non-existing bands (among Ride, The Verve, Throwing Muses and few others). They were great. Wish I could see them live.

Though I never personally Tweeted with her, the once angelically beautiful Rachel Goswell was on my Twitter follow list, and she said she doesn't know about the others, but she's too busy as a mother to ever want to join a regroup. I think the other members have just given up the possibility as well.

Though I never personally Tweeted with her, the once angelically beautiful Rachel Goswell was on my Twitter follow list, and she said she doesn't know about the others, but she's too busy as a mother to ever want to join a regroup. I think the other members have just given up the possibility as well.

Neil Halstead is open to it

http://stereogum.com/1139112/neil-halstead-talks-slowdive-reunion/news/

Archived