Can a Jon Snow + Daenerys romance work in the final book?

total1402

They'd impress each other while defending humanity from the wights, then she'd say Damn, it's too bad I have to leave you behind when I go off to secure the rest of the kingdom and I'll end up marrying some jerk just to hold the whole thing together. It's a shame it couldn't be you ruling with me, someone who deserves to, you know? ...And Jon would be like Awww, shucks. Then, the stage would be set for Ned's buddy to pop up and establish Jon's pedigree to maximum effect---when the future queen is already looking for such a legal loophole as a means of including Jon as a co-ruler while excluding jerks she'd otherwise have to consider.

I agree, when I said that I implied that the rose also symbolizes Jon, and I assumed that that vision meant that Jon and Dany will meet.

To me it seems like you were saying that the blue rose in Dany's HotU vision symbolizes Jon, which is the general consensus. What I meant to add was that the symbolism extends to all of the blue rose appearances; i.e., blue rose symbolically means Jon Snow. My apologies if I misunderstood.

To me it seems like you were saying that the blue rose in Dany's HotU vision symbolizes Jon, which is the general consensus. What I meant to add was that the symbolism extends to all of the blue rose appearances; i.e., blue rose symbolically means Jon Snow. My apologies if I misunderstood.

Oh, I understand you now.

They'd impress each other while defending humanity from the wights, then she'd say Damn, it's too bad I have to leave you behind when I go off to secure the rest of the kingdom and I'll end up marrying some jerk just to hold the whole thing together. It's a shame it couldn't be you ruling with me, someone who deserves to, you know? ...And Jon would be like Awww, shucks. Then, the stage would be set for Ned's buddy to pop up and establish Jon's pedigree to maximum effect---when the future queen is already looking for such a legal loophole as a means of including Jon as a co-ruler while excluding jerks she'd otherwise have to consider.

I hope to the gods (old and new) "awww, shucks" makes it in as one of Jon's lines.

Yeah I honestly just don't see them being into each other. He's just not her type. Dany is into guys who:

- are super macho

- have killed tons of people

- have slept with tons of women

- have elaborate hairdos and mustaches

- are way older than her

Jon, while still smart and awesome, is basically none of those things. That girl wants to be swept off her feet, and I don't see him doing that. I don't think she's his type either. He's so serious all the time (because he has to be) and he warmed up to Ygritte (the only girl he's ever been interested in) because she was a fun girl with a lot of energy who cracked dirty jokes and made fun of him. Both Dany and Jon have so much responsibility, and so much on the line right now, and it's only gonna get worse. A collaboration would totally make sense, but as for getting romantically involved, well, "don't eat where you shit"

I think they'd make a great team fighting the Others together, like a Mulder/Scully friendship teamwork thing. Whether she would even need his help though, I'm not sure. Maybe they will bond over having big, scary animal friends...

I think they'd make a great team fighting the Others together, like a Mulder/Scully friendship teamwork thing. Whether she would even need his help though, I'm not sure. Maybe they will bond over having big, scary animal friends...

Seeing as Mulder/Scully ended up getting it on, probably not the best example to explain why they wouldn't work...

But I do think Jon's a bit too grumpy and vanilla for her.

I would be OK with a purely political marriage where they have no love for each other but that would be pushing it. I would also love it if Jon kept Val as his queen consort

First thing that came to my mind.

I have a feeling that George may dissapoint Jon fans with his ending...he killed Robb Stark off because of the generic 'son avenges father' storyline..people will expect Jon Snow the 'underdog' to be King of the North...I really hope he doesn't kill him because Jon would make a good King of the North. However if George does make him King of the North, I reckon that rather than a romantic relationship between Jon and Daenarys, there will be a great friendship and alliance between the North and the South (Ice and Fire) , united by Jon Snow. However this seems too neat and the 'hopeful' by too many to actually be the ending.

This is not why he killed Robb off. Martin doesn't do the things in his books just to upset tropes. The Red Wedding was a plot point. Something that had to happen to advance the story to where it needed to be. It was not simply done to be original.

I really hope Jon + Dany never happens, and knowing Martins writing style I'd be pretty confident it wouldn't happen. My only reservation about is the aforementioned "great loves" HotU prophecy. However, here's something I just recently thought of - the only one of these great loves we've really seen actually happen thus far is Drogo, which obviously did not come off as a true great love at all at first, I'd argue her developing an affection for Drogo was more a result of Stockholm Syndrome than anything else.

In addition, there is no blue haired, golden toothed, naked chick sword douchebag in this prophecy, and if Dany doesn't consider Daario a "great love" after what we had to fucking endure in ADWD I think her perception of what constitutes "great love" must be way off. She also sees who appears to Euron in her vision, a known scumbag who I seriously doubt would ever find it in his heart to actually treat a woman right, so I wonder if the "great" part of "great loves" doesn't necessarily mean pleasurable and romantic for her. Perhaps the union of Jon and Dany, if it happens, will be political and loveless, which is the one way I'd sort of be able to accept Jon/Dany.

Jon would be any woman's type once she finds out about the "Lord's kiss"! :blushing:

Yeah, since apparently there aren't many guys in the books who go down on girls that we know of (even though there's a whole song--The Bear and the Maiden Fair--devoted to the practice).

...although I thought the implication was from that passage about Dany and Daario having each other "every way" covered Lord's kiss-type stuff. So it's not like Dany would be blown away--er, so to speak--by the novelty or anything.

Seeing as Mulder/Scully ended up getting it on, probably not the best example to explain why they wouldn't work...

Hahaha, exactly!

I can see them having a bit of a platonic-Mulder/Scully-in-the-early-seasons dynamic, though.

I think Dany will already married by the time she meets Jon, to Tyrion.

Uh...

Perhaps the union of Jon and Dany, if it happens, will be political and loveless, which is the one way I'd sort of be able to accept Jon/Dany.

The only way a Jon/Dany match has a shot of lasting, in my opinion, is if it is a political, loveless match. Knowing how GRRM rolls, a love match born of a passionate affair would probably end swiftly in tragedy and death.

Knowing how GRRM rolls, a love match born of a passionate affair would probably end swiftly in tragedy and death.

I think it's exactly what will happen. I expect to be pretty bored with all this.

Jon really does seem too vanilla for Dany, but Martin can do whatever he wants. Dany-Daario didn't exactly set people on fire either, yet he wrote it. As for Jon, it's hard to say what his type truly is. Ygritte chose him more like and Ygritte and Val, not counting Melisandre (or Selyse...), are like the only women he interacted a lot with. It's not like he had a lot to choose from, and Ygritte almost forced him into physical relations.

lol

Sorry, but Dany ain't gonna be in Westeros during Winds. She has a lot left to wrap up in Essos. Getting back Drogos Khal, Mereen, Volantis, Yunkai; everyone else. Not to mention the domestics when she links up with all the characters in Slavers Bay who include...

Tyrion

Jorah

Victarion

Moqorro

Marwyn

Brown Ben

and this assumes that martin doesn't take this opportunity to add more Dothraki characters and flesh out Danys tales with them.

She will be lucky to be any further than Volantis by end of Winds.

she may have already left essos by the time any of them catch up with her or grrm could write at a faster pace or this that or the other could happen, just because aspects of the story are heading in a certain direction means nothing

Archived