Stego's Reading List of SFF

Stego

I put out an SFF Reading List a few years ago with about 500 works on it. People threw rocks. It was kind of amusing. Here is a far more condensed list of what I believe to be the seminal works of SFF since Mary Shelly's [b]Frankenstein[/b]. Limited to a mere 100. The paring down was heartbreaking.

This is my first reading list in years and is certainly an opinionated result of my years of amateur scholarship.

The only thing I [i]do[/i] promise is that there is merit in all of these works. Chances are you would fall in love with most, if not all, if you give them a chance.

[url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pMJdpQQ1pOrqRPrJt4GOhVw"]The List.[/url] <---Much easier to read in spreadsheet form.

Asimov, Isaac The Best of Isaac Asimov 1974

Asimov, Isaac The Gods Themselves 1972

Atwood, Margaret The Handmaid's Tale 1985

Bakker, R. Scott The Prince of Nothing 2004-2007

Ballard, J.G. High Rise 1975

Banks, Iain M. Use of Weapons 1990

Beagle, Peter S. A Fine and Private Place 1960

Bester, Alfred The Stars My Destination 1956

Blish, James Cities in Flight 1955-1962

Brackett, Leigh The Long Tomorrow 1955

Bradbury, Ray The Martian Chronicles 1950

Bradbury, Ray Fahrenheit 451 1953

Brunner, John Stand on Zanzibar 1968

Bulgakov, Mikhail The Master and The Margarita 1940

Card, Orson Scott Ender's Game 1985

Clarke, Arthur C. Rendezvous With Rama 1972

Clarke, Arthur C. Childhood's End 1953

Clarke, Arthur C. The Fountains of Paradise 1979

Crowley, John Little, Big 1981

Danielewski, Mark Z. House of Leaves 2000

Dick, Philip K. The Man In The High Castle 1962

Dozois, Gardner Best of The Best: 20 Years of The Years Best SF 2005

Dozois, Gardner Best of The Best 2 2007

Dunsany, Lord The King of Elfland's Daughter 1924

Ellison, Harlan Dangerous Visions 1967

Ennis, Garth Preacher 1995-2000

Ford, John M. The Last Hot Time 2001

Gaiman, Neil American Gods 2001

Gaiman, Neil and Pratchett, Terry Good Omens 1990

Gemmell, David Legend 1984

Gibson, William Neuromancer 1984

Grimwood, Ken Replay 1987

Haldeman, Joe The Forever War 1975

Heinlein, Robert A. Starship Troopers 1959

Heinlein, Robert A. Stranger In a Strange Land 1961

Heinlein, Robert A. Have Spacesuit -- Will Travel 1958

Herbert, Frank Dune 1965

Hoban, Russell Riddley Walker 1980

Huxley, Aldous Brave New World 1931

Jackson, Shirley The Haunting of Hill House 1959

Joyce, Graham The Tooth Fairy 1998

Kay, Guy Gavriel Tigana 1990

Keyes, Daniel Flowers For Algernon 1966

LeGuin, Ursula K. The Dispossesed 1974

LeGuin, Ursula K. The Left Hand of Darkness 1969

Lem, Stanislaw Solaris 1961

Lovecraft, H.P. The Dunwich Horror and Others 1963

Lynch, Scott The Lies of Locke Lamora 2006

MacDonald, George The Princess and The Goblin 1872

Martin, George R.R. A Song of Ice and Fire 1996-Present

Matheson, Richard I Am Legend 1954

McCarthy, Cormac The Road 2006

McDonald, Ian River of Gods 2004

Meynard, Yves The Book of Knights 1998

Mieville, China Perdido Street Station 2001

Miller Jr., Walter M. A Canticle For Leibowitz 1960

Moore, Christopher Lamb 2002

Morgan, Richard K. Black Man 2007

Newman, Kim Anno Dracula 1992

Niven, Larry Ringworld 1970

Orwell, George 1984 1949

Pangborn, Edgar Davy 1964

Poe, Edgar Allan Tales of Mystery and Imagination 1837-1845

Pohl, Frederick Gateway 1977

Pohl, Frederick and Kornbluth, C.M The Space Merchants 1953

Powers, Tim The Anubis Gates 1983

Powers, Tim The Fisher King Trilogy 1992-1997

Priest, Christopher The Glamour 1985

Robinson, Kim Stanley The Mars Trilogy 1992-1996

Russ, Joanna The Female Man 1975

Shelley, Mary Frankenstein 1818

Shephard, Lucius The Best of Lucius Shephard 2008

Shippey, Tom The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories 1992

Silverberg, Robert The Book of Skulls 1972

Silverberg, Robert The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume One 1970

Simak, Clifford D. City 1952

Simmons, Dan Hyperion 1990

Smith, Cordwainer The Rediscovery of Man 1993

Smith, Michael Marshall Only Forward 1998

Stapeldon, Olaf Odd John 1935

Stephenson, Neal Snow Crash 1992

Stevenson, Robert Louis The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1886

Stewart, George R. Earth Abides 1949

Straub, Peter Ghost Story 1979

Sturgeon, Theodore More Than Human 1953

Tiptree Jr., James Her Smoke Rose Up Forever 1990

Tolkien, J.R.R. The Lord of The Rings 1954-1955

Vance, Jack The Jack Vance Treasury 2007

Verne, Jules Journey To The Centre of the Earth 1864

Vonnegut, Kurt Cat's Cradle 1963

Vonnegut, Kurt Slaughter-House Five 1969

Wells, H.G. The Time Machine 1895

Wilde, Oscar The Picture of Dorian Gray 1891

Wolfe, Gene The Wizard Knight 2004

Wolfe, Gene The Book of The New Sun 1980-1983

Wyndham, John The Day of The Triffids 1951

Wyndham, John The Midwich Cuckoos 1957

Zelazny, Roger Damnation Alley 1969

Zelazny, Roger Lord of Light 1967

[quote name='Joe Abercrombie' post='1697734' date='Feb 24 2009, 05.03']The absence of Abercrombie casts serious doubts, not only on the validity of your list, but also on your taste, sanity, personal hygiene, and levels of manliness.[/quote]

First your check bounces and now you lash out at me. You knew what was going to happen, fruitcup.

YAY! Discussion!

Peake is overrated. He didn't invent goth and he didn't invent castle stories.

Gormenghast is not enjoyable to read. And it certainly is not as important to the genre as pretentious wankers like Moorcock would have us believe. It you said Robert E. Howard, I'd cry and say 'Uncle!' Fritz Leiber, I'd tap. Peake?

BAH.

He was a better artist than he was an author.

*ETA: He'd make the top 200. :D

[quote name='MinDonner' post='1697775' date='Feb 24 2009, 06.56']No Ted Chiang? :thumbsdown:

He could replace one of the Heinleins :P

Three Heinleins? Seriously?[/quote]

Yeah, it's absurd that anyone would cut it down to only three Heinlein's. Ted Chiang is a brilliant short story writer, but to even put his name in the same sentence as Heinlein is rank foolishness.

The Story of Your Life by Chiang is on the list, btw. why check before spouting off? I dunno either.

[quote name='Stego' post='1697777' date='Feb 24 2009, 12.21']Ted Chiang is a brilliant short story writer, but to even put his name in the same sentence as Heinlein is rank foolishness.[/quote]

I agree, but probably for entirely opposite reasons.

Presumably the Chiang story is in one of the Dozois anthologies? Yipes, forgive me for not checking the entire contents of every book you posted on the list before snarking...

Great list. I'm amused to see [i]Rendezvous with Rama[/i] (don't get me wrong -- I thoroughly enjoy the book) on there, especially after we were going to crash that panel for "most overrated novels" and nominate that one. :lol:

I'm unaccountably happy to see that neither [i]Amber[/i] nor [i]Grass[/i] are on that list. Two thoroughly overrated pieces of fiction.

I'm curious why you left off Octavia Butler, though (not arguing it, just curious). I guess her work can be alienating. But if it is OK to put the Jack Vance Treasury and HP Lovecraft on there, I think Paolo Bacigalupi's [i]Pump Six[/i] also deserves a place (what was considered novel length during Vance's heyday has been demoted to "novella" territory, which squarely jibes with a lot of Bacigalupi's work). Stylistically and thematically he is spot-on: engaging prose, compelling narratives, incisive commentary on current issues, interesting characters. (I'm pretty sure he's in one of those Dozois anthologies, but I think his collection merits its own place because of the larger thematic arc he mines in his stories.)

Also, out on a limb here: H. Rider Haggard?

Aldiss is on the list too!!

As for his novels, well... his shorts are better, IMO. Who Can Relace Man? is fucking seminal. That's his best story, and thankfully it made it onto the list. As for novels....I really appreciate Hothouse. It's a very important book. Non-Stop is pretty damn fine and the Helliconia Trilogy are fascinating reads all. Some of those were cut, I'm afraid. (Non-Stop and Hothouse) I had to get it down to 100.

Please don't misconstrue me, folks. There isn't going to be some magical work I've not heard of of or some world-shattering author I'm completely ignorant of. These are just my top 100 recommendations. And I'll admit there is no science behind it and there is plenty of emotion. These are works I love and appreciate. These are not all the works I love and appreciate.

MinDonner, the Heinlein loathing is so done. It belongs in the same dust-bin as the Tolkien loathing. (And can I say that Richard Morgan made a complete ass out of himself in his recent article?)

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1697836' date='Feb 24 2009, 08.51']Great list. I'm amused to see [i]Rendezvous with Rama[/i] (don't get me wrong -- I thoroughly enjoy the book) on there, especially after we were going to crash that panel for "most overrated novels" and nominate that one. :lol:

I'm unaccountably happy to see that neither [i]Amber[/i] nor [i]Grass[/i] are on that list. Two thoroughly overrated pieces of fiction.

I'm curious why you left off Octavia Butler, though (not arguing it, just curious). I guess her work can be alienating. But if it is OK to put the Jack Vance Treasury and HP Lovecraft on there, I think Paolo Bacigalupi's [i]Pump Six[/i] also deserves a place (what was considered novel length during Vance's heyday has been demoted to "novella" territory, which squarely jibes with a lot of Bacigalupi's work). Stylistically and thematically he is spot-on: engaging prose, compelling narratives, incisive commentary on current issues, interesting characters. (I'm pretty sure he's in one of those Dozois anthologies, but I think his collection merits its own place because of the larger thematic arc he mines in his stories.)

Also, out on a limb here: H. Rider Haggard?[/quote]

-I fucking sweated over Rendezvous. It was one of my hardest choices. I just could not put The Fountains of Paradise ahead of it.

-Butler is amazing. I love her work. She was a late cut because I could not whittle her down to one.

-Paulo is good stuff. Sort of like Chiang. And Link. When they are around for 25 years like Lucius Sheperd and have a great big Sub Press edition of their best, then that best will make the list, I imagine.)

-[i][b]She[/b][/i] by Haggard was one of my very last cuts. :(

[quote name='MinDonner' post='1697841' date='Feb 24 2009, 09.00']Bah, no fair. You want discussion, but only if it doesn't involve hatin' on Heinlein?[/quote]

Hate him if you want. He's the most important science fiction author that ever lived. His input staggers that of Asimov, Wells, Verne, Poe, Shelley, Gernsback, and even Campbell.

And as far as short stories go, and I say this as a fan of Ted Chiang, 'All You Zombies' is a far better short than anything Chiang has ever written. (I've read everything Chiang has ever published.)

Archived