Is meereen a draft before westeros?

The Traveler

Is meereen intended to be some kind of draft where Daenerys makes mistakes and learns from them?

I can't see any scenario where things don't get messy there once Daenerys decides to leave meereen and move to westeros. I think that once she's not there anymore, huge shits will hit huge fans same way as Astapor.

So is she going to turn her back to meereen at some point and be like "Ok I fucked up in Meereen, but I'm only a girl and I know little of the ways of war, now let's start a new game in westeros"?

So, what you are saying is Dany is doing a "beginners course?" After that, she will be strong, stern and steadfast???? Not buying it. Screw her. Turn your faith to Jon.

P.S. I'm extremely shit faced right now. Please excuse my blatant basis. But ive grown tired of calling a "spade a spade." Be it, a fictional character or in real life.....yes, ive got real life shit going on. Dany is the stupid woman, that you put stock in. A woman, you can and should hold in high regard....only to have your heart torn out. She will, only let you down in the end. A woman who has all the potential in the world.....but will never put her bullshit behind her.

Yes.....im an ass right now.

Dany's entire arc is about growing and learning and making big mistakes...and eventually either ruling Westeros with an experienced and humbled hand OR bringing death and destruction to all in her path, like an accidentally-evil White Queen of Narnia ("Whoops, did my dragons really just melt the wall and let all the zombies loose in Westeros?! I must do better next time!").

So yes, in that sense, whether she wins or loses in Mereen, she will use her victory to propel herself forward in eventual conquest of Westeros...all the while expressing self doubt about her capabilities, birthright, and whether Viserys would approve.

That is, if she is even present at the battle of Mereen...she may blow it off and go party with the Doth's instead, and show up just to reap the spoils.

I think Dany thinks it is, and this is why she will never be a good ruler.

:agree:

I believe based on the Twow chapter readings, Dany's side does well in the upcoming battle.

Important fact: Dany's side does well with her being absent.

In Dany's arc, GRRM subverts the "rightful heir with good intentions" trope and shows that you need talent, character and education to rule successfully.

I believe based on the Twow chapter readings, Dany's side does well in the upcoming battle.

I believe based on the fact that Dany's plot has no purpose if she dies before heading to Westeros, that her side will do well in the upcoming battle.

So, what you are saying is Dany is doing a "beginners course?" After that, she will be strong, stern and steadfast???? Not buying it. Screw her. Turn your faith to Jon.

Yeah, he did such a great job. It's not like his own men turned on him cause he was fucking up so bad, oh wait....

I actually think the opposite. I think it's why she would make a good ruler. She's willing to learn. She stays with the intention of learning how to be a ruling Queen. I know some people think that's just inherently wrong, to use a region as a "practice drive" but how many rulers do you think would benefit from that? Probably all. If the Iron Throne was an election in the modern day she would've been slandered as having no experience. She's actively trying to gain that. I'm sure there's better ways to learn all that, but let's be honest, who gives a f**k about Slaver's Bay?

Yeah, he did such a great job. It's not like his own men turned on him cause he was fucking up so bad, oh wait....

Was he fucking up so bad? His course on power is not the best in any point of the word, but he was managing to try to ensure the castles on the Wall were manned along with securing a means to bring supplies so they could survive the Winter. The NW say's they will take no part, but it does not say they will stand aside when someone threatens them directly as Ramsay did.

Wanting to march off against Ramsay because of some threats was a dumb idea. Let the man make his threats, who cares? He would never risk marching to Castle Black to ever prove it. It was a moment of weakness for Jon to be so easily goaded... but one of few moments. Otherwise, Jon was a strong leader in a time of great crisis. He made controversial decisions, but always in the interest of saving lives and preventing more wights from happening.

Sadly, he had weak tools to work with. Thousands of hungry wildlings and only a handful of seasoned rangers, not to mention the Queens Men, who'd sooner watch him fail at something before help him. Given these people surrounding him, Jon kept his head most of the time. But it only takes one big blunder to be seen as a failure, and preparing to leave the Wall to some other poor fool why he goes off to retaliate to a mere letter, that would be one such mistake.

I actually think the opposite. I think it's why she would make a good ruler. She's willing to learn. She stays with the intention of learning how to be a ruling Queen. I know some people think that's just inherently wrong, to use a region as a "practice drive" but how many rulers do you think would benefit from that? Probably all. If the Iron Throne was an election in the modern day she would've been slandered as having no experience. She's actively trying to gain that. I'm sure there's better ways to learn all that, but let's be honest, who gives a f**k about Slaver's Bay?

Why would it be slander?

I'd say that Slaver's Bay is so different from Westeros, that lessons learned there cannot be directly applied in the west. I'd say the best thing she can take with her is knowing that ruling is a bitch, so she must be one too. :)

I feel like bigotry played a role in there somewhere. I may just be biased though, since there is so many in defense of Marsh threads.

But yeah Jon made some mistakes too.

Archived