Wow, I Never Noticed That V.3 Eyes Wide Shut Edition

Winter's Knight

There are hints all throughout Game of Thrones that something isnt right about the whole Jon Arryn debacle, and even some hinting Lysa may have had a hand in his death. The confusion over where Robert Arryn would be fostered (Dragonstone/Casterly Rock and also when the Twins is suggested) and Lysa's obvious anger when anyone offers to foster Robert; all of this is heavy implications Lysa has been deceptive once you know what actually happened

When Cat confronts Petyr with the dagger.

After Ser Jaime loses in the Hand's Tourney

Can't believe I missed this the first time around. Showed Tyrion always bet on Jaime, which is reinforced later when he tells Cat that exact same thing. I should have sensed LF lieing to Cat a lot sooner than i did.

If only LF had been drinking Arbor Gold during that convo.

But in all seriousness, this means King Bob bet against his own Kingsguard. That just can't be a very smart idea on so many levels.

In The Tower of Joy sequence, the sky is described as "Blood Streaked"

The Blackfish says nearly the same in ACOK referring to The Red Comet.

Comet +TOJ = J = AAR?

That would be three red comets in 18 years, with two of those only two years apart. That sounds like a lot, especially since everybody is making such a big deal about it in 299 AL. It doesn't sound like it happens that often, to me.

I guess the sky was described as blood streaked since Ned had just found Lyanna (with her rose petals in a bed of blood).

Edit: or it was just because of his fever dream :)

That would be three red comets in 18 years, with two of those only two years apart. That sounds like a lot, especially since everybody is making such a big deal about it in 299 AL. It doesn't sound like it happens that often, to me.

I guess the sky was described as blood streaked since Ned had just found Lyanna (with her rose petals in a bed of blood).

Edit: or it was just because of his fever dream :)

Or because it was sunset.

I left the thread for some days and when I come back I find some nice pickup!

Thanks to everyone, especially JungWheats, Tze and Iona since I didn't realised those!

Back on track:

-It is said that Qohor held against the Dothraki in a very Thermopylae-istic manner, so I was lead to believe that if there's a city that he's safe against the Dothraki it should be that one... I mean, they have guardians with hair tied on their lances!

Turns out that it's not like that.

But what's even more interesting it's the fact that actually it's even better for the city if they pay a bill to the Dothraki!

Khal Temmo comes and wants to conquer the city: Qohor hires two mercenary companies and 3000 Unsullied.

Thanks to Daenerys, we know that buying about 1000 unsullied is worth of three ships full of goods, so it's safe to assume that it hasn't been exactly cheap for Qohor.

Skip to ADwD, second Tyrion chapter: Illyrio speaks about Khal Zekko, who comes by Qohor once every 3-4 years, takes a bag full of coin and then comes back.

By the way, Zekko isn't even a threat like Khal Pono, and Illyrio makes a vulgar sound when speaking of Zekko.

Now: Temmo had about 12.000 men and was crashed hard, Zekko most likely isn't laughing matter - but at the same time he's not even one of the most dangerous Khals around... yet Qohor gives him money since dealing with him that way is cheaper!

(thanks to Bright Blue Eyes since his posts on http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/99352-dothraki-weaponcraft/ made me reflect)

-Coming back at dawn, like a true hero: Jon Snow arrives at Castle Black after running away from the wildlings at dawn, iirc.

Meanwhile poor Barristan waits pointlessly for Dany to come back at Meereen, but at dawn no one comes... but it's not like it wasn't completely unexpected: the amount of time Dany is compared to the moon through all the books is astounding!

I don't know if this was in the previous two editions, but I was just starting a reread of ASOS yesterday, and the prologue starts with Chett and his hounds sniffing for a bear.

In Sam's first chapter flashing back to the Fist of the First Men he recalls that a huge, wight bear attacked them.

Archived