Wow, I Never Noticed That V.3 Eyes Wide Shut Edition

Winter's Knight

Haha, doing another re-listen, started AGOT today and was listening to it while walking around the city centre. Suddenly realized that in one chapter we get Jon being annoyed by the fact that Joffrey is younger than he and Robb, but taller than they are. Then a while later Jon is exclaiming that bastards grow faster than other children, maester Luwin says so... Oh, might be true! Giggled like an idiot next to other people waiting at the pedestrian traffic lights.

Perhaps one more argument for R+L being married... :D

At the beginning of ADWD Tywin Lannister sends the Freys to White Harbour in order to check Wyman Manderly's loyalty. The Freys say, that they are in White Harbour, because they want to bring back the bones of Wendel Manderly, who had been killed during the Red Wedding,

but on a reread of AFFC and ADWD I realised, that the bones probably did not belong to Wendel for the following reasons.

-During the books people are not able to identify people they have known, when they see their bones

-Catelyn does not recognise Ned's Bones as belonging to him even though she was her husband

-Jon Connington does not recognise the skull of his friend Simon Toyne. He only recognises the skull of Maelys the Monstrous, because this man had a second head growing out of his skull.

-No one in Dorne is able to identify Gregor Clegane when seeing his skull, even though the man was massive

-Maester Luwin is not sure, whether the corpses, that Theon shows to the people of Winterfell, belong to Bran and Rickon Stark. He does not think so, but only because the older boy has more muscle than Bran.

-Wendel Manderly does not have any outstanding features concerning his height, bone structure etc. Because of his great weight the structure of his bones should be impossible to recognize from his face.

-Throughout both books, it is mentioned, that there is an abundance of dead people lying around in the Riverlands and with a few thousand dead Northmen the Freys especially should not have any trouble producing some fake bones.

-The Freys did not even return of Riverland nobles, that they killed in the RW. Tytos Blackwood does not have the bones of his son Lucas and Lord Piper did not get any bones either, even though some of his cousins/nephews, that went to the Red Wedding are dead and he swore fealty to the IT right after the RW.

-The Freys generally are not a truthful family and bringing back the bones give them a good excuse to go to White Harbour

-Jaime is convinced, that he can present his aunt a fake skeleton as her son Cleon

How so like Aemond? Aemond still had one eye left. I wonder if Aemond wore an eye patch or something similar.

But if we're naming people who are missing at least one eye, Bloodraven is also missing one :)

Aemond also wore a sapphire in his eye socket.

Catelyn notes after Edmure's victory and Tywin's retreat to the South-East that this would take Tywin's army to the Blackwater Rush...basically King's Landing.

In one of the Council meetings, it is mentioned that the Tyrell host at Bitterbridge has moved North.

How did I not see the Tyrell-Lannister victory over Stannis coming!

Haha, doing another re-listen, started AGOT today and was listening to it while walking around the city centre. Suddenly realized that in one chapter we get Jon being annoyed by the fact that Joffrey is younger than he and Robb, but taller than they are. Then a while later Jon is exclaiming that bastards grow faster than other children, maester Luwin says so... Oh, might be true! Giggled like an idiot next to other people waiting at the pedestrian traffic lights.

Nice catch !

At the beginning of ADWD Tywin Lannister sends the Freys to White Harbour in order to check Wyman Manderly's loyalty. The Freys say, that they are in White Harbour, because they want to bring back the bones of Wendel Manderly, who had been killed during the Red Wedding,

but on a reread of AFFC and ADWD I realised, that the bones probably did not belong to Wendel for the following reasons.

-During the books people are not able to identify people they have known, when they see their bones

-Catelyn does not recognise Ned's Bones as belonging to him even though she was her husband

-Jon Connington does not recognise the skull of his friend Simon Toyne. He only recognises the skull of Maelys the Monstrous, because this man had a second head growing out of his skull.

-No one in Dorne is able to identify Gregor Clegane when seeing his skull, even though the man was massive

-Maester Luwin is not sure, whether the corpses, that Theon shows to the people of Winterfell, belong to Bran and Rickon Stark. He does not think so, but only because the older boy has more muscle than Bran.

-Wendel Manderly does not have any outstanding features concerning his height, bone structure etc. Because of his great weight the structure of his bones should be impossible to recognize from his face.

-Throughout both books, it is mentioned, that there is an abundance of dead people lying around in the Riverlands and with a few thousand dead Northmen the Freys especially should not have any trouble producing some fake bones.

-The Freys did not even return of Riverland nobles, that they killed in the RW. Tytos Blackwood does not have the bones of his son Lucas and Lord Piper did not get any bones either, even though some of his cousins/nephews, that went to the Red Wedding are dead and he swore fealty to the IT right after the RW.

-The Freys generally are not a truthful family and bringing back the bones give them a good excuse to go to White Harbour

-Jaime is convinced, that he can present his aunt a fake skeleton as her son Cleon

This is a very good one. Keep up the good work!

One thing I noticed upon re-read was how frequently characters say something to the effect of "I should have just killed him," so that there is a frequent recurring feeling of regret that they showed mercy. The one person who never seems to have this regret is Tywin, who even at a young age ready to kill Lord Tarbeck the moment his wife captured three Lannisters though his father Tytos showed forbearance (a faint echo of Cately Tully Stark's actions capturing Tyrion). The other character (not really a person) who seems like she will not be subject to this regret is Lady Stoneheart.

I think this might have been posted in an earlier version of the thread but I am not sure. When Dany meets the Pureborn she wears a necklace set with an amethyst to ward against most poisons. Melisandre is warded against the Strangler while wearing a ruby necklace. More evidence to point towards her power actually all being just a show

ETA: and Catelyn seems to say you/they know nothing an awful lot :p

It was important that the Redwyne twins be found to have been falsely accused. That would demonstrate the fairness of the judgments against the others.

By the time the sun went down that day, all of the accused traitors were in custody. Hamish the Harper had collapsed when they came for him, and Ser Tallad the Tall had wounded three gold cloaks before the others overwhelmed him. Cersei ordered that the Redwyne twins be given comfortable chambers in a tower. The rest went down to the dungeons.

Cersei is just hilarious.

The "dwarf joust" at Joffrey's wedding incorporated an interesting element to the act:

The huge pig squealed in distress, while the wedding guests squealed with laughter, especially when the stag knight leapt onto the wolf knight, let down his wooden breeches, and started to pump away frantically at the other’s nether portions.

Later on, we discover that the "knights" here are actually brother and sister. So Littlefinger arranged for a brother and sister to "fuck" each other in front of everyone at Joffrey's wedding, and Joffrey was too ignorant to realize he was being insulted just as much as Tyrion.

Sansa and Cersei have rather different understandings of the fate of Simon Toyne. According to Sansa,

[W]hen another of his Kingsguard fell in love with one of [Aegon the Unworthy's] mistresses, the king had taken both their heads.

That's terrible enough. But according to Cersei,

[H]is head was the only thing he did not lose. Aegon dismembered him piece by piece, and made the woman watch.

That distinction could end up being relevant, given how history repeats in ASOIAF.

In ADWD, Dany claims that

Dragons are fire made flesh. She had read that in one of the books Ser Jorah had given her as a wedding gift.

But she's actually (apparently unthinkingly) quoting what Quaithe told her in ACOK:

They shall come day and night to see the wonder that has been born again into the world, and when they see they shall lust. For dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power.

When Little Walder and Big Walder start mocking Hodor,

Big Walder trotted up to join his cousin. “Well, he’s not as smart as a horse, that’s for certain.” A few of the White Harbor lads poked each other and laughed.
“Hodor.” Beaming genially, Hodor looked from one Frey to the other, oblivious to their taunting. “Hodor hodor?”
Little Walder’s mount whickered. “See, they’re talking to each other. Maybe hodor means ‘I love you’ in horse.”

Neither Walder realizes that the real name of the person they're mocking is actually . . . Walder.

In Daznak's Pit, when the crowd starts calling Dany Mysha,

I am not your mother, she might have shouted, back, I am the mother of your slaves, of every boy who ever died upon these sands whilst you gorged on honeyed locusts.

As she's thinking this, Strong Belwas---a former pit fighter---is the only person in her box actually gorging himself on honeyed locusts, which . . . puts her attitude here in a rather different perspective.

We're never told how Three-Finger Hobb got his nickname. But in Maidenpool, Brienne sees Randyll Tarly mete out the following punishment:

“It is customary to take a finger from a thief,” Lord Tarly replied in a hard voice, “but a man who steals from a sept is stealing from the gods.” He turned to his captain of guards. “Seven fingers. Leave his thumbs.”

Lose seven fingers and you're left with three. Hobb might have ended up at the Wall (and ended up with only three fingers) for stealing from a sept. (That said, it's also entirely possible that Three-Finger Hobb actually has all of his fingers, and he got his nickname because he came from the Fingers.)

I've mentioned this R+L=J catch in a couple of places, but I suppose this is also a good spot for it.

Wylla Manderly's famous speech:

I know about the promise,” insisted the girl. “Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf’s Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!”

- ADwD, Davos III

Promise me, Ned.

- various AGoT, Eddard chapters.

I think this might be a hint that Wylla the wet-nurse knows about R+L=J, since her name sake claims to know about "the promise."

I've mentioned this R+L=J catch in a couple of places, but I suppose this is also a good spot for it.

- ADwD, Davos III

I think this might be a hint that Wylla the wet-nurse knows about R+L=J, since her name sake claims to know about "the promise."

Woah, nice catch!!

- ADwD, Davos III

Whoooooooah.

Consider this brief exchange between Jon Snow and Tycho Nestoris in ADWD, Jon IX:

Jon: "The Wall is like nothing else on earth. You may never have another chance to see it."

Tycho Nestoris: "No doubt I shall rue my caution upon my deathbed, but after a long day in the saddle, a warm room sounds preferable to me."

Possible foreshadowing that Tycho may never have another chance to see the Wall... after it falls?

Archived