Community: Apparently, We Like Dan Harmon Anyway

Datepalm

I wonder if we'll ever get a GOT/Lords of the Bloodlines parody episode/subplot from Community? If it's full of snarky book-purist references I will likely keel over from sheer glee.

I was reading they are revisiting the D&D episode again so it could be as good a place as any to do a full on GOT parody. Then again, maybe Harmon knew of the SOuth Park episode and doesn't want to do one so close. To be honest they could have made Annie's manipulations with the school GOT-esque if they had wished - just with some extra backstabbing and betrayals. I guess they'd have to have something like "exams are coming" or "summer break is coming".

Community episodes always require two viewings for me but felt like it was a mediocre episode on first viewing. There's a too precious quality to each of Abed's one episode romances that make me not care about the result. That and I think the show could do a killer GOT episode but only referencing it to harp on spoilers was a little disappointing. I think red snow's on the right track for how it coulda been more interesting.

To me everything that worked in this episode involved Hickey who remains awesome.

I can't wait for the episode that has Abed complaining about how that sitcom The Theory of Relativity that was meant to be geared towards nerds is too much of a generic and formulated sitcom and he can't comprehend how it consistently beats the much more elaborate and creative single cam meta-comedy that it's on against.

I can't wait for the episode that has Abed complaining about how that sitcom The Theory of Relativity that was meant to be geared towards nerds is too much of a generic and formulated sitcom and he can't comprehend how it consistently beats the much more elaborate and creative single cam meta-comedy that it's on against.

At which point the fourth wall will twist itself into a klein bottle, and fiction as we know it will cease to exist. It will be epic.

I think I love you. ;)

At which point the fourth wall will twist itself into a klein bottle, and fiction as we know it will cease to exist. It will be epic.

No, that doesn't happen until Abed joins a discussion about the merits/flaws of The Theory of Relatvity and the other show on the Bloodlines of Conquest site which is more commonly refferred to as the A Tale of Fire And Brimstone Forum after the books in the series rather than the title of the HBO Series and first novel.

OK so forgive me if this has been brought up but does anyone think this was a set up for a potentially GOT theme episode for Community?

I just don't see why else they'd come up with a fake stand in for the real show and dedicate a B-plot to something I feel like Dan and the crew would really have fun with.

I think the finale will go more in depth with this fake GOT show

Every episode should end with Gareth screaming something.

And by that, I mean every episode of every show. Not just Community, but BBT, Game of Thrones, Hannibal, all of them.

Anyway, this episode was fine, but it had too many guest stars, which ended up being distracting, and none of them except the deaf lady (who is gorgeous, BTW) had much to do.

In my continuing attempts to argue with all the geeks on all the internet: Community vs. Big Bang Theory vs. SFF.

Guys, I have to ask - because the comments over there are baffling me completely - does it seem like I don't like TBBT from this, in favour of Community? Seriously, or I'll have to write another one that will be really mean.

I thought I was going to get attacked for being too harsh on Community - I all but call it pandering and simplistic. How can anyone possibly regard "goes out of it's way to make you feel smart and hopeful" as higher praise than "sad, subversive and refusing to provide easy satisfaction"?

I don't watch TBBT, and your article doesn't make me want to. You come around to saying you enjoy it equally to Community, but a lot of the things you're saying along the way to that sound pretty damning to me.

Of course, that could just be because I'm primed to hear bad things about TBBT. There's a reason I don't watch it, every time I've caught a bit of it I haven't liked it.

I've read a couple of your posts in the TBBT thread and I think that I see a lot of the same things you do in the show, like slow change, repetitiveness and the like, and see lazy writing and production (at least since season 2) whereas you see a subversive take on genre and human failings.

I've read a couple of your posts in the TBBT thread and I think that I see a lot of the same things you do in the show, like slow change, repetitiveness and the like, and see lazy writing and production (at least since season 2) whereas you see a subversive take on genre and human failings.

I think TBBT is enjoyable enough but I do suspect the showrunner(s?) and writers are sorta coasting, taking on change only when the writers have squeezed every last drop from a particular situation.

Hm, this is getting all recursive! I'm always interested in the way people read texts, now i'm interested in the way people read a text i've written about the way people read texts.

I need a new hobby. Considering boxing.

I don't watch TBBT, and your article doesn't make me want to. You come around to saying you enjoy it equally to Community, but a lot of the things you're saying along the way to that sound pretty damning to me.

Of course, that could just be because I'm primed to hear bad things about TBBT. There's a reason I don't watch it, every time I've caught a bit of it I haven't liked it.

Yeah, I got the impression he disliked TBBT or at least liked it in spite of the fact it's lazy and doesn't represent geek culture at all (just cool people pretending to be geek culture). Then again I'm probably just seeing a reflection of my own views in reading the article.

To say that community creates a sandbox that allows it to do anything while TBBT creates a prison making it impossible to change the format - seems damning to me. Then again "in treatment" is always set in a room with a maximum of 4 people. That doesn't mean it's a worse show than SHIELD which is set over the entire planet.

To say that community creates a sandbox that allows it to do anything while TBBT creates a prison making it impossible to change the format - seems damning to me.

*headscratch* I'm just going to have to accept that I have a very weird take on this that I probably can't convince everyone else to also see (because it's right there! It is! Look! Right there! Ahem, sorry,) aren't I?

*headscratch* I'm just going to have to accept that I have a very weird take on this that I probably can't convince everyone else to also see (because it's right there! It is! Look! Right there! Ahem, sorry,) aren't I?

"Greendale is a bottomless pit of weird classes, eccentric professors, strange rules, hidden corners, allies and villains and mentors and foils. It's not just in-story - the show itself is endless mutable, totally without restrictions. Community will reshape it's universe to be a mystery, a cop drama, heist movie, science fiction thriller. It can becomes animated, claymated, 8 bit, puppets - whatever the story or the characters need. It looks like a sitcom, but it's bigger on the inside."

This sounds like a good thing to have such flexibility in a show.

while

"TBBT, on the other hand, has awful worldbuilding. It's a small, boring little world, one that appears sometimes to consist entirely of a couch and a staircase."

sounds pretty awful and the rest of your paragraph is more damning. It's only the very end of the paragraph that you try and sell it as a positive thing. Maybe it's because you lead with Community in a positive way without listing anything negative while TBBT is almost all negative with a small compliment at the end?

I'm not arguing how you feel about both shows but I can see why in regard to the world-building it sounds like you really dislike TBBT compared to Community.

Your goal is to argue with Nerds so maybe you're unwittingly spurring arguments :)

Archived