Community: Apparently, We Like Dan Harmon Anyway

Datepalm

Fantastic, though Annie as my psycho ex-roomate...kinda works.

Only thing that bugged me was Abed's characterization, where it just keeps bouncing around - now he's on the far edge of some television-autism as sociopathy specturm all of the sudden. It was a very cheap way to give him something to do this episode..

That was great. They somehow managed to do an episode with Pierce even though he wasn't physically there. His final words were also touching and I like the gift he gave to Troy. Of course taking Pierce's deal means it's very easy to get Troy back whenever he is avialable.

Chang is so much better this season. Small doses work, And no Dean which is a pleasant change.

That was the funniest episode for... well, a while.

Fantastic, though Annie as my psycho ex-roomate...kinda works.

Only thing that bugged me was Abed's characterization, where it just keeps bouncing around - now he's on the far edge of some television-autism as sociopathy specturm all of the sudden. It was a very cheap way to give him something to do this episode..

I disagree, for once Abed was good in this episode and characterized as he was in the first two seasons, instead of Mr Wacky Random Meta Guy.

AVClub noted the similarity to the Puppet episode, but I think they didn't mention how Harmon had ended up pissed they used some of his story ideas.

Given how well thought and better this ep was, seems to me this was one of those ideas. I did think it was weird that Abed refused to answer Annie's "Do you care about people?" question.

Also, given the cause of death and the tracking devices, does anyone else wonder if Pierce coming back for a small part of the movie was being teased teasd?

I don't really remember the puppet episode very well, because I never bothered watching any of Season 4 more than once. To me the episode felt like it was calling back to the pen bottle episode and also the 'clip show' episode, where they stood around reminiscing and complaining about how they'd wronged one another. This episode basically did the same without the clips.

On Abed, I also think they can be a bit inconsistent with his characterization. Every so often, like in this episode, they'll push him to a place where he's acting as if he has no understanding of human emotions, and that just seems off from who he is most of the time. There have been enough moments where he's obviously shown concern, understanding, and affection that it's weird to then have him place tracking devices on the study group and 1) not understanding why they'd be bothered 2) not being able to read if their faces are showing bothered-ness or hunger 3) feeling no remorse. I buy that he'd place the tracking devices, I just don't buy his response to the reveal as being consistent with his character.

Ultimately the episode was just excellent, though, so I just don't care that much. I read the AV Club review and I thought it was interesting to see it take such a strong stance on how well developed the characters are, I guess this is more of a conflict in corners of the internet I'm not aware of. I think the characters are great, but I definitely don't come to the show for character development. To me they sort of are just joke machines, but I don't mean that as a criticism or to suggest that I find them flat.

There have been enough moments where he's obviously shown concern, understanding, and affection that it's weird to then have him place tracking devices on the study group and 1) not understanding why they'd be bothered 2) not being able to read if their faces are showing bothered-ness or hunger 3) feeling no remorse. I buy that he'd place the tracking devices, I just don't buy his response to the reveal as being consistent with his character.

I think one of the things Harmon showed us from Season 1 is that Abed can be incredibly manipulative in his own way, and that he'll use how people view his disability to his advantage.

With the tracking devices, it speaks to his insecurity and fear of not having these people - his only friends - in his life. I think he knows they'd be bothered but chooses to act oblivious. He understands their objection, but thinks its silly [or figures their view of him as disabled will allow him to get away with it.]

I think one of the things Harmon showed us from Season 1 is that Abed can be incredibly manipulative in his own way, and that he'll use how people view his disability to his advantage.

With the tracking devices, it speaks to his insecurity and fear of not having these people - his only friends - in his life. I think he knows they'd be bothered but chooses to act oblivious. He understands their objection, but thinks its silly [or figures their view of him as disabled will allow him to get away with it.]

I think these are interesting and fair points, and Annie does say that she knows he understands better than he's letting on. But, that's not quite consistent with the fact that the lie detector confirms he's genuinely unremorseful and that he refuses to answer whether he actually cares about people, which I think at the very least is intended to provoke the viewer to question whether he does, if not outright imply that he refuses to answer because he doesn't- which I think is not consistent with what we've seen of him in the past.

I think these are interesting and fair points, and Annie does say that she knows he understands better than he's letting on. But, that's not quite consistent with the fact that the lie detector confirms he's genuinely unremorseful and that he refuses to answer whether he actually cares about people, which I think at the very least is intended to provoke the viewer to question whether he does, if not outright imply that he refuses to answer because he doesn't- which I think is not consistent with what we've seen of him in the past.

I mostly felt it was just a very trite way to get across that kind of characterization. "I don't feel anything. Beep."...only maybe he does! Gasp! It's very standard, very obvious, very manipulative of the audience. I expect better from Community than to be an episode of Sherlock or one of the bad seasons of Dexter.

I mostly felt it was just a very trite way to get across that kind of characterization. "I don't feel anything. Beep."...only maybe he does! Gasp! It's very standard, very obvious, very manipulative of the audience. I expect better from Community than to be an episode of Sherlock or one of the bad seasons of Dexter.

I think that whole "Does Abed have emotions?" gimmick is, especially, at this point, just the surface level. I think how Abed uses that question in a way to manipulate his friends even while working through some kind of actual disability is the deeper part.

I actually think it's meant to portray Abed's own confusion on the matter. Not sure if it's meant to be gasp worthy, just shows that he's still struggling with understanding what emotions are and/or what they mean to him.

I think he refused to answer because as Sci pointed out, he likes being able to manipulate the people in the group - as they all do at times. It's obvious he cares about people but admitting it steals some of the mystique of when he's screwing with someone or playing one of his games.

I actually think it's meant to portray Abed's own confusion on the matter. Not sure if it's meant to be gasp worthy, just shows that he's still struggling with understanding what emotions are and/or what they mean to him.

It just doesn't work for me because we know perfectly well he can be - in fact, usually is - much warmer, friendlier and more emotive with no particular signs of strain or confusion. This is the same guy who's gone on wacky double dates or is goofy, die-for-eachother best friends with Troy? He's almost never portrayed as someone emotionally cold (barring when convenient,) just out of step, kind of obsessive and with a gap in parsing social norms and not the greatest brain-to-mouth filter. This cold, in control, three-steps-ahead Abed wasn't that at all.

I can make it work if we assume he's just deliberately playing things up to deal with grief over Pierce. That's my version and I'm sticking to it.

This cold, in control, three-steps-ahead Abed wasn't that at all.

I don't really see that as being much different than charting the menstrual cycles of the women or mimicking Annie and Shirley's reactions to seem more caring.

And remember, he's the sanest member of this group.

I don't really see that as being much different than charting the menstrual cycles of the women or mimicking Annie and Shirley's reactions to seem more caring.

And remember, he's the sanest member of this group.

Yeah, it reminded me of the menstrual cycles as well. And in both instances, *he* thinks he's doing good by them, i.e. giving Annie chocolate, keeping track of them in case of kidnapping.

Well Community is back, and I am very happy about it's return; with four episodes into the 13-episode season, I am thoroughly enjoying it. I know that perhaps the subject of the show has been on forums here before, but I would like a more thorough topic about the new season, and how characters are interacting on the new season of the show.

For me personally I do miss Pierce, but if the troubles were so bad in the fourth season, I don't feel too much of a loss with him gone. If it had been Annie, or maybe Troy leaving it would have been a harder loss to swallow.

So with season 5 opening with characters of the study group in very different situations that they were in at the end of season 4. Jeff is back at Greendale, as a teacher and still friends with everyone in the study group again minus Pierce.

Now for me, seeing everyone back in the show who I wanted back in the show makes me wonder what the next nine episodes will give us. I would honestly like Annie and Jeff to just accept their feelings, that have been growing since the beginning of the show. I would love to see them finally get together, either before the end of the season or in the middle of it, and see their interactions together. For me this would be the best, and my main hope for the show to end on as a plot since it's been going strong for almost five seasons now.

For other characters, I would like to see Abed meet someone, and for Troy to meet a girl too maybe even Britta.

Now time for the claws to come out, how does everyone else feel about the new season and their aspirations for the show's remaining episodes. Let it begin guys and girls :)

Yeah, it reminded me of the menstrual cycles as well. And in both instances, *he* thinks he's doing good by them, i.e. giving Annie chocolate, keeping track of them in case of kidnapping.

I [am] also not seeing the 3-steps-ahead stuff here, just Abed's paranoia about losing his friends filtered through his movie logic.

The only issue I had was him not answering the "Do you care" question, which isn't the biggest deal.

Virtual Systems Analysis:

Troy (or Abed's simulation) notes his attraction to Clive Own. Troy (the real one) mentions his Clive Owen Tumblr in S5e1.

In Cooperative Calligraphy Abed asks Jeff to wrap things up with a speech and an easy dig at a celebrity. Annie does the speech and dig at a celebrity in the conclusion to Virtual S A:

“Look at 2001. Did we get a ‘space odyssey’? No! We got snowboarding in the Olympics and over-validated Carson Daly.”

Archived