Community: Apparently, We Like Dan Harmon Anyway

Datepalm

These have been 5 good episodes, not the best though. Think you're right on with the ones you picked,but I'd start with Epidemiology (through Aerodymanics of Gender, Calligraphy, Conspiracy Theories and Mixology). Epidemiology broke the rules the show has tried to abide by but it's really freaking funny. Was never a fan of Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas (very creative but among the least funny episodes) nor Asian Population Studies.

2nd place for me would be just about the end of Season 1 starting with Beginner Pottery, The Science of Illusion (the only dud of the 5), Contemporary American Poultry, The Art of Discourse ("you're the schmitty!"), Modern Warfare.

Honorable mention: End of Season 3 - Basic Lupine Urology, Course Listing Unavailable, Cirriciculum Unavailable (The John Hodgeman as a therapist episode has really grown on me), Digital Estate Planning and First Chang Dynasty.

Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas is my least favorite Christmas episode (at least of the Harmon era) I'll admit, but I think it was good enough to continue the run of good episodes they had. For some reason I always liked Asian Population Studies, probably for the speech about Chang at the end that Jeff did.

I agree with your S1 list too. However, I loved the Science of Illusion, mainly the Annie/Shirley badass rivalry. Annie slamming Jeff's head in the table almost had me in stitches the first time I saw it.

Overall, I don't know how popular this episode is, but Comparative Religion (the Season 1 Christmas episode) is probably in my top 5 episodes. Anthony Michael Hall was great, and I found it laugh out loud funny from beginning to end. My avatar is from that episode.

The Art of Discourse ("you're the schmitty!"),.

Maybe my least favorite episode of the first 3 seasons.

For me the best run is the end of 3 by a mile.

Re the concept thing. I don't care if they were all high concepts. Or all "regular." There's no appropriate mix IMO. Make them all good and I'll be happy.

This link reminds me- did everyone catch that Chang's same sex celebrity crush is Nathan Fillion?

1) I loled

2) How's this going to work with Fillion on the show? Will he be appearing as himself, or are we just going to ignore the fact that Nathan Fillion the actor clearly exists in this world (Firefly has been referenced and now Chang has referred to him by name), and no one will take note of the fact that whatever character he's playing looks just like the referenced Nathan Fillion?

3) Is it way too picky and absurd that I care about 2)?

So you assume that in any show, any who featuring an actor who appears in main show does not exist? This is crazy.

In the world of community, breaking had exists even though they now share a common actor.

The only way a show would not exist is if the character showed up, linking them in q common reality

It's just that it can be slightly disconcerting to me depending on how it's done. Like if on the Office they sat around talking about how funny Steve Carrell was in the 40 Year Old Virgin, that would come off really odd to me. It wouldn't come off odd to you?

The Wire was referenced and Michael K. Williams appeared, afaik the specific actor had never been referenced before, and anyway they made an Omar joke or two and it didn't bother me. But to have Nathan Fillion directly referenced (and a reference to his looks no less) and then show up a couple of episodes later without any comment that, hey, this is or looks just like Nathan Fillion, would be weird to me.

In any case, it's just a small point, and other people think Chang's line was a set up for his appearance, which makes sense to me and could be pretty funny. I welcome Captain Mal's arrival. :)

Community always seems to walk up to the fourth wall and wave, without really breaking through.

Harmon has the same love of dream world delusions, the Trueman Show, and the Simulation Argument that I do.

It's just that it can be slightly disconcerting to me depending on how it's done. Like if on the Office they sat around talking about how funny Steve Carrell was in the 40 Year Old Virgin, that would come off really odd to me. It wouldn't come off odd to you?

The Wire was referenced and Michael K. Williams appeared, afaik the specific actor had never been referenced before, and anyway they made an Omar joke or two and it didn't bother me. But to have Nathan Fillion directly referenced (and a reference to his looks no less) and then show up a couple of episodes later without any comment that, hey, this is or looks just like Nathan Fillion, would be weird to me.

In any case, it's just a small point, and other people think Chang's line was a set up for his appearance, which makes sense to me and could be pretty funny. I welcome Captain Mal's arrival. :)

They'll likely make references to Nathan Fillion's character that poke fun at Nathan Fillion a bit more indirectly, like when they have referred to Jeff (Joel Hale) as just another Ryan Seacrest.

Seems more utopian than liberal, to me. Less about the power of the individual mind to shape reality than about accessing a shared cultural cache to shape (or shield against) reality together. Community doesn't go after social or economic issues because its values exist in the airy range of people supporting and doing right by one another, and that by doing this the world becomes magical and beautiful. So I guess the point is to illustrate these values in a fictional location, in standard utopian fashion.

Yeah man I totally agree about Utopian as opposed to liberal. everything you said seems spot on. The only thing i would disagree on is pop vulture references, I think the show has plenty of them tbh. But yeah, the point is to illustrate.

I don't know tbh, I guess it would be sort of weird but at the same time it could add another dimension to the show. And even if it came off as odd to me, it might be a GOOD kind of odd, you know?

The Omar jokes didn't bother me either. But it seems like you're concerned with continuity, which is ofc important, but it is important enough to waste five precious minutes of your life posting about it on an Internet forum?

I too am excited for Captain Mal's arrival, ofc.

Were there no Firefly references? Where were the Firefly references? I don't understand... :frown5:

Read the books, Abed! Just read the books! (Reminds me that I now feel like a hipster because I read ASOIAF in 1999.) Good for the return of the coatcheck girl though.

I agree, Reincarnated Onion Dude ("dude" being the gender neutral form of the word)

Okay, y'all, I'm posting here for one reason and one reason only.

"Lord Ironstone's daughter is his mother!"

Please tell me someone else heard that. Please tell me that Ironstone = Stark. Please tell me someone else heard that in the way that I did.

I agree, Reincarnated Onion Dude ("dude" being the gender neutral form of the word)

Okay, y'all, I'm posting here for one reason and one reason only.

"Lord Ironstone's daughter is his mother!"

Please tell me someone else heard that. Please tell me that Ironstone = Stark. Please tell me someone else heard that in the way that I did.

Odie! This is what gets you back?

I definitely heard "his daughter is his mother," but I don't get it.

Did anyone else catch the ticker on the bottom of the news program Hickey was watching? "Levar Burton and a non-celebrity captured by pirates in the Gulf of Mexico."

I did not. Which makes me sad.

Odie! This is what gets you back?

I definitely heard "his daughter is his mother," but I don't get it.

Lord Stark's daughter is his mother... or Lord Rickard's daughter Lyanna is Jon's mother.

Archived